Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about installing save files with the Savegame Installler

Posted by dandcd93 
Question about installing save files with the Savegame Installler
November 28, 2008 11:39PM
My old Wii broke and so I had to get a new one. Before it broke I used the Savegame Extractor to save my Brawl save to my PC. If I hack my new Wii and use the Savegame Installer to install the save, could my Wii brick if I go online and use the old friend code? The friend code was issued to the old Wii, not the new one, so I'm thinking it could brick if I try to play online. What will happen if I use the save and go online? Has anyone done this?
Re: Question about installing save files with the Savegame Installler
November 30, 2008 12:32AM
impossible, a bricked wii is due to a problem with the system files, not friend codes or anything, u may get a new fc tho
December 03, 2008 10:24PM
Actually, anything that has to do with the NAND filesystem has potential to brick your wii if something screws up. Installing WADs are most dangerous as the Wii loads banners with the system menu. If the banner is bad, the Wii will freeze and you won't be able to get to the HBC to fix it. The same thing could potentially be the case with save files, as they have a "banner", so to speak.
December 05, 2008 05:50PM
Actually, I haven't tried this, but...

I heard you won't have to worry about online data if you delete the "NET0" and "NET1" files from the save folder. That'll probably delete any possible online data that save has.

Although don't ask me, I only heard that, I've never personally tried it.
December 05, 2008 06:15PM
While on this subject, is it then unsafe to download save files from the internet from so many websites that do this and copy them to your Wii?
December 05, 2008 07:55PM
TheManuel
While on this subject, is it then unsafe to download save files from the internet from so many websites that do this and copy them to your Wii?

I just did it yesterday, I put a Mario Galaxy save file on my Wii so it would unlock a character in Mario Kart... it worked fine!
December 05, 2008 08:10PM
Sure, I have done it too and it works but I'm wondering if this opens up the risk for maliciously constructed save files to brick your Wii and therefore be a risk.
December 05, 2008 11:02PM
/\
/\
Yes, this is possible. Do you know how works Twilight Hack? In the same way you can create a apploader that runs from the "X" game save file, you can create a vĂ­rus and similars... But first you need to find an useable exploit on "X" to do it... So, it's possible, but really complicated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login