Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rokoban updated

Posted by zalo 
Rokoban updated
March 14, 2010 09:45PM
Hello everyone.

I have just updated Rokoban, my 3D port of Sokoban for the Wii and the DS. I think the new graphics look better on the Wii now and there is music and savegame support. Hope you enjoy it ;)

You can download it from my blog
Re: Rokoban updated
March 15, 2010 03:24AM
Hello Zalo. Thanks for including English in your port. I like Rokoban's emphatic end-of-level animation! Your blog mentions:

animation blending, skinning, texture animation

I've done some animation blending and skinning work using dual quaternions, and I'd like to bring it to the Wii eventually. Do you plan on sharing any of your animation code?

I've read that the Wii isn't optimized for skinning, but has the concept of stitching. In particular:

Skinning is the process of joining together portions of surface geometry which are associated with different transformation matrices. It is typically used with skeletal animation systems to produce continuous "skin" over the skeleton transformation hierarchy. The ideal support for skinning involves having multiple different matrices associated with each vertex of the skin polygons, weighted by how close a vertex is to a given "bone". The Graphics Processor (GP) supports a subset of this functionality called stitching. Only one matrix may be used to transform a given vertex, but different matrices can be used for different vertices.

Stitching is based on the idea that it is faster to generate intermediate bone matrices directly from interpolated animation data than it is to multiply every vertex by multiple matrices and weights (effectively interpolating bones).

Using one matrix per vertex allows the boundary polygons to stretch to cover joints; however, the stretching is not necessarily smooth. The joint skin can be smoothed by adding more matrices (bones) to the joint, and perhaps by adding more polygons to transition among the various matrices.

While it is true that stitching usually requires more matrices to achieve a smooth joint, the GP only needs to perform a single matrix multiply for each position, and the method of interpolation is not required to be linear (unlike typical skinning hardware).

Do you have any comments on that? If you're doing traditional skinning, are you doing it on the GP or the CPU?

Thank you,
Cale
Re: Rokoban updated
March 15, 2010 08:51AM
Hi Cale
I am doing a very simple and unoptimized skinning on my code. Before painting I am multipliying every vertex and normal by a maximum of 4 matrices. All is done by software. It works in this game because only one character is using it. I will probably have problems on a bigger scene

And yeah, why not. I may be sharing my code soon. I think I have almost finished all I wanted to do so it is time to share it with every one. Maybe it can be useful for anybody
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login