Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiDoom crashing, solution I (don't think) I can do myself...

Posted by egoff12 
WiiDoom crashing, solution I (don't think) I can do myself...
August 11, 2010 01:52AM
I know this is a pretty specific question, but I feel like if I post this on wiidooms google code issue page I'll never get a reply, and this has very little to do with the game itself. I'm sorry if this is too narrow for the scope of this forum, but I have a feeling if anyone can solve this simple problem, they'd be here. Also, thanks a billion to all those that run wiibrew.org and this forum, I couldn't have done any of this without the info here and the atmosphere is refreshingly... nice i guess :P

For me and some other 'brewers, theres a glitch in wiidoom that allows the game to be played only once, but after quiting, launching it results in a stack dump. As per the 2nd response here: [code.google.com] , this is remedied by removing some of the configuration files before each use. This is pretty annoying to do every time before loading though. Right now I'm using a forwarding channel made with customizemii to load WiiDoom (it fails from hbc too though), and I was wondering how hard it would be to write a dol (or to modify the forwarding dol) to be injected into a channel wad that would delete these files before loading the boot.dol. I have no idea how writing and compiling a dol works... the most coding I do is some php haha

To clarify, I am running 4.2, hbc 1.0.7 which is using ios61 (don't think that matters, but just in case it does), wiidoom fails regardless of peripherals connected, I've downloaded it from the hb browser and online at the projects google code page to make sure that wasn't the fault, I have bootmii in boot2 and I'm willing to mess around some if needed, and I have forwarder creator GUI v2 by suloku if that helps (maybe modding this code would help? I wouldn't know where to start though)

Thanks sooo much for any help or pushes in the right direction :)
And I'm sorry for mentioning wads, I read the full rules and I think I'm ok since its all legal hb stuff, the red font scares me though x(
Re: WiiDoom crashing, solution I (don't think) I can do myself...
August 11, 2010 05:26AM
DOOM WADs are nothing to worry about as far as the rules are concerned ;-)

Anyways, I've been playing with the WiiDOOM source for a couple days now (I'm trying to use it to get Hexen running) and have also encountered this and a few other very annoying issues. I actually fixed one of them for myself already. Eventually I was thinking about getting in touch with the developers to make my changes official but it seems they no longer maintain the project so I was thinking of doing a branch of the project (although I'd probably fix and add a lot more before I did that).

But yeah, I'm working on it (albeit a little slowly) and I'll post a .dol the moment I fix the issue (assuming I can of course) :)
August 11, 2010 06:51AM
Sounds awesome! Thanks for your efforts and best of luck getting it all to work :)
August 28, 2010 01:55AM
Arikado

Anyways, I've been playing with the WiiDOOM source for a couple days now (I'm trying to use it to get Hexen running) and have also encountered this and a few other very annoying issues. I actually fixed one of them for myself already. Eventually I was thinking about getting in touch with the developers to make my changes official but it seems they no longer maintain the project so I was thinking of doing a branch of the project (although I'd probably fix and add a lot more before I did that).

But yeah, I'm working on it (albeit a little slowly) and I'll post a .dol the moment I fix the issue (assuming I can of course) :)

Hi Arikado,

You are right in saying that I have not been maintaining the WiiDoom project. I would be more than happy to give you commit access to the source code. Just let me know. If not, please send me the patches you made and I will commit them.

Thanks
Dave
August 28, 2010 02:37AM
jendave
Arikado

Hi Arikado,

You are right in saying that I have not been maintaining the WiiDoom project. I would be more than happy to give you commit access to the source code. Just let me know. If not, please send me the patches you made and I will commit them.

Thanks
Dave
Hey, it's no problem for not maintaining the project. You made a great piece of code and I'm really thankful to be able to have opportunity to work on it and save myself so much trouble of having to start from scratch.

I appreciate the offer to become a committer to the project and I'll gladly take you up on it. Just add castlevania7689@yahoo.com to the project. If you want, I can send you my stuff to review before I commit anything.

Right now, everything on my machine regarding this project is a bit of a mess as I've been playing with a lot of different parts of it. I'll try and finish everything up and have it all done in no later than the next seven days. Normally I'd get this done sooner but I'm in college now :(

Thanks again :)
August 28, 2010 07:35AM
Arikado,

I have added you to the committer list. The WiiDoom project is located at:
[code.google.com]

Feel free to check in whatever you want. Looking at your work on Hexen and Heretic, I am sure that WiiDoom will be in good hands. :-)

Thanks
Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login