Here's what's new:
* Full SDHC Support
* Full USB Support
* Classic Controller Support
* Gamecube Controller Support
* Changed /prboom/ to /apps/wiidoom/data/
* Various bugfixes and tweaks

If you're kind enough to do so, you can donate here: [arikado.chipin.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 10:05PM by Arikado.
Re: WiiDoom 0.4.5 Released
August 29, 2010 10:41PM
YAY! Finally I will be able to get my hands on it again! I was really excited when I read that you were added to the WiiDoom SVN repository a couple days ago.

I can not wait to test your new improvements and the classic controller support! Thanks x 1000 :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 02:34AM by Axel.
August 30, 2010 02:36AM
Some hours later... :P

I just played your release of WiiDoom. It's amazing! It plays way better than I imagined. Have you had the chance of actually playing it and enjoying the results? The analog sticks in the classic controller are incredibly good. I wish they could ever get implemented like this to Heretic and Hexen so we could also get rid of run button :)

The thing that surprised me the most is that I didn't know that the toggle follow-mode button for the map didn't need to be mapped (I always found it hard choosing a good button for it). Your implementation of being able to scroll the map with the d-pad and still move when at it with the sticks is very cool, I had never thought of that.

I found a little hard to find the display map button though (lol) I first believed you had forgotten to map it until I found it at ZL. I was thinking how it could have been made more intuitive... I don't know what you think about the following (maybe for a later release?):

Minus - Display/Hide Map
ZL - Zoom out Map
ZR - Zoom in Map
Plus - Pause (Pause Key)

ALL other mappings are simply perfect, the modifications you made to the scheme are excellent. Don't even consider on changing a thing in them ;)

P.D. Have you had any luck/progress with the music in any of the ports? :(
August 31, 2010 11:18PM
Thanks for the help. I put your classic controller scheme in the WiiDoom repository now.

Regarding music, I'm seeing how other engines like zdoom and such do it and seeing if I can use their methodology in any way. Im also looking at emulating with the sound chip used via code in Tantric's DOSBox port. It will take time, but I think (hope) I will get it eventually :3
August 31, 2010 11:47PM
Ahh I see you mapped the map follow mode to minus button :D

236 236 //Automap follow
237 - if (data->btns_h & WPAD_CLASSIC_BUTTON_ZR)
237 + if (data->btns_h & WPAD_CLASSIC_BUTTON_MINUS)
238 238 btn_1 = 1;

Do you think it is necessary? Currently there is no need to switch follow modes given they are accessible simultaneously, one through the pad and the other through the stick.
September 01, 2010 03:23AM
It's not *necessary* per say, but it's nice to have. What else would I shove in there? :P
September 01, 2010 05:23AM
LOL xD

Yes, well, Doom uses many less buttons than Heretic and Hexen, we have a lot of free buttons :)

At least you found a place to map it where it feels quite right, in any other button it feels weird to have it...

What do you think about the analog sticks? They feel cool, huh? Planning on implementing that to your other ports? :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 05:25AM by Axel.
September 01, 2010 07:32AM
I must be the unlucky one. I got a code dump when trying to load my old Doom 1 wad. I'll try loading it again tomorrow to see if I can get it to happen again. I'll post more information when I get it.
September 01, 2010 05:03PM
Weasel:
Please try with the shareware wad and let us know if it worked for you. What version is your Doom WAD? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.666, 1.9, Ultimate)

Arikado:
I was reviewing the code and I realized that X and Y are unused in the Classic controller. I was thinking if you wouldn't rather to assign zoom in to X and zoom out to Y, just like you did to the GC controller so both controllers would act more similar. Maybe this is a better choice than ZL and ZR since these buttons are rarely used (sorry, I realized when I reviewed your code).
September 01, 2010 05:54PM
Axel
What do you think about the analog sticks? They feel cool, huh? Planning on implementing that to your other ports? :D
Thought I explained this before but I can't use the analog sticks independently from each other without rewriting a significant portion of the emulator. That being said, this sort of a solution isn't that out there in the realm of possibilities ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 05:55PM by Arikado.
September 15, 2010 09:19PM
Having trouble installing and i guesse probably just me.
When updated from HomeBrew it keeps saying I need to update. I deleted my old install and again installed from HB but it crashed when trying to load. I downloaded from the internet and dropped it into my SD and had the same issue.
I have since installed a few other apps that work fine from HB so idk what the issue is. Anyone else?
September 15, 2010 10:54PM
Not sure if HBB has the latest release on their servers yet.

Anyways, I changed all of the directories in the new release. If you still have sd:/prboom/ you need to update to the new ones.
September 16, 2010 04:03AM
That's probably the issue I was using the original directories and dropping files in
October 16, 2010 05:31AM
Hello. I've been trying to use the new WiiDoom v0.4.5 release recently. However, it doesn't seem to be working =/ I have put the wads in the ( apps/wiidoom/data ) directory but everytime I attempt to load Wiidoom on the homebrew channel it gives me this message:

Exception (DSI) occured!

Then a great deal of numbers and letters appears then it says

Stack Dump:

More Numbers/Letters

Code Dump:

Numbers/Letters etc.

Has anyone faced this issues before and have a solution?? =/ Thank You in advance and I hope to hear your response.
October 21, 2010 07:49AM
Arikado
Thanks for the help. I put your classic controller scheme in the WiiDoom repository now.

Regarding music, I'm seeing how other engines like zdoom and such do it and seeing if I can use their methodology in any way. Im also looking at emulating with the sound chip used via code in Tantric's DOSBox port. It will take time, but I think (hope) I will get it eventually :3

Hey Arikado,
This is in response to you talking about music. I'm not that familiar with how doom's music is synthesized. However, most of the music for games that ran on top of dos used Adlib FM synthesis (Yamaha OPL2-3). Is doom music wavetable synthesized or FM? If it's FM, I may be able to help. I'm a chiptune junkie :) I wrote a small Adlib music player for the Wii about a year ago and it takes advantage of an LGPL licensed Adlib sound synthesizer chip library. I never released it. I could send my code your way if you want it. It demonstrates how to load the many types of available OPL based tracker music files and play them using Adplug.

The library I'm referring to is Adplug, [adplug.sourceforge.net]
October 31, 2010 06:59PM
MrPeanut
Arikado

Hey Arikado,
This is in response to you talking about music. I'm not that familiar with how doom's music is synthesized. However, most of the music for games that ran on top of dos used Adlib FM synthesis (Yamaha OPL2-3). Is doom music wavetable synthesized or FM? If it's FM, I may be able to help. I'm a chiptune junkie :) I wrote a small Adlib music player for the Wii about a year ago and it takes advantage of an LGPL licensed Adlib sound synthesizer chip library. I never released it. I could send my code your way if you want it. It demonstrates how to load the many types of available OPL based tracker music files and play them using Adplug.

The library I'm referring to is Adplug, [adplug.sourceforge.net]
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I've been extremely busy lately and it took me awhile to find this post.

The DOOM music format is MUS which is a slightly altered version of the MIDI format. ( [doom.wikia.com] ). I really don't know very much about it but I believe it is FM. I know Heretic (which I also can't get background music to play in) also uses this format (I think Hexen uses something different though).

I'd love to take a look at what you got and see if I can get it to work with DOOM and Heretic. I'm really busy with college now so it might be awhile before I can give you any real feedback on it though.

Thanks a ton :-)

EDIT: Btw I peeked through the Wolfenstein thread and read how you solved your sound issues by using unsigned data types when compiling with the new sdl and libogc. I'm also having these exact same issues with DOOM/Hexen/Heretic and have been using the older build for a long time. Thanks to you, I should be able to use the latest builds now :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 07:02PM by Arikado.
November 01, 2010 05:21AM
Hey Arikado,

I was looking thru the Wiidoom source and I noticed a couple things, I'm sure you have, too.

The mus files are converted to .mids. They are played thru SDL mixer. So.... what you could do is:

1) Use the timidity sound patches.. Those are available on SDL_Mixer's site. It's just crappy general midi though, I'm afraid. I went that route when I was working on duke nukem 3d - psp.

2) If you want to go the authentic route, and listen to it like you were listening to doom's music on a 486. That adplug library I was telling you about can't load .MUS but it can load .MID out of the box. I don't know if "Allegro Midi" and midi are the same. This mus2mid converts the file to Allegro .mids. I only remember Allegro to be an old game development library for djgpp some years ago.

This adplug's core is the same emulator as MAME's, and DosBox's for Adlib music. I did write a small player that loaded and played adlib music files with adplug for the wii. I was looking thru my old hard disk backup and I can't find the source yet. When I do, hopefully I do, I'll send it your way.

Unfortunately you'll have to port adplug to the powerpc but I don't remember that being very difficult, it depends on libbinio. I'd love to help with all this if you want, I just need to fix this Spear of Destiny stuff first.

(Edit) nevermind I just found it, I'll post it tomorrow after I get home from work... I have to work in 6 hours :(

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 05:29AM by MrPeanut.
November 01, 2010 01:10PM
Hey,

I noticed that too but I've been unable to get any of the SDL Mixer code to link properly (it compiles just fine). I made an issue about it here [code.google.com] and talked to Tantric about it on IRC (I will look up his response when I get back to my machine with mIRC on it) but I really didn't get anywhere. Heretic and Hexen both have SDL Mixer components too so I would just love to be able to get them to link :-(

Looking past SDL Mixer I would probably have to go the authentic route. I'm currently working on porting ALLEGRO to Wii ( [code.google.com] ) but haven't gotten around to starting sound yet. It's really the only thing that still needs to be done so I will get on that as soon as I have the time.

I'm trying to remember but I recall .MUS files being the same .MIDI files except for a different header. I copied over a full description of the format to here: [pastie.org]

I'm not sure if my PowerPC is good enough to port adplug but I think I can get through it if I stare at MAME and DosBox long enough.

Thanks a lot for all the help. And please take as much time as you need. I'm so busy with college right now I can't really find more than an hour a day to work on Wii related projects :-(
November 07, 2010 08:46AM
Hrm... I've compiled the newest WiiDoom from the repository. It compiles fine but when I run the version I compiled it kicks me directly back to the hbc. The official WiiDoom boot.dol is around 2.1mb and mine turns out to be 1.8mb.

(EDIT) Nm... I got it. Looks like the version from the repository still looks for prboom.wad @ sd:/apps/wiidoom/data/prboom.wad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 08:58AM by MrPeanut.
November 07, 2010 03:15PM
I changed the directories because I was repeatedly e-mailed about how there seems to be a growing trend in homebrew where people dont want their root directory cluttered with datafiles.

Anyways, I hope its all working good for you. I seem to recall that the latest build of SDL puts some static in the sound but that could probably be fixed the same way you fixed it in wolfenstein 3d (by using unsigned integers).

I really appreciate the help. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 03:17PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login