Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kaillera implemation

Posted by SwiftFinch 
Kaillera implemation
December 25, 2008 01:23PM
Would it be possible to integrate Kaillera into existing emulators to make use of the wii's internet? Kaillera can be put in emulators on the computer, but I dunno if it's possible with wiibrew because I'm not a developer of one.

But it would be so awesome.
Re: Kaillera implemation
December 25, 2008 03:44PM
The Kaillera client itself is closed-source, and Windows-based. Unless someone takes a huge challenge and writes a full replacement, compatible with Kaillera, just for Wii, it's impossible. The best shot would be porting Open Kaillera, but will be still very hard.
December 25, 2008 07:31PM
Or replicate the system. All it does is transmit inputs from one system down the wire to another system. I don't think there's any validation or anything (I say that because I was playing Killer Instinct, that became out of sync)
December 25, 2008 09:31PM
DanielHueho
The Kaillera client itself is closed-source, and Windows-based. Unless someone takes a huge challenge and writes a full replacement, compatible with Kaillera, just for Wii, it's impossible. The best shot would be porting Open Kaillera, but will be still very hard.

They have a download for the client SDK for developers, which I'm guessing could be used. I'm not the best/most knowledgeable programmer, but I would assume that this would employ the same technique that other developers used to port emulators to wiibrew.
December 25, 2008 10:53PM
The Client SDK documents how to implement the Kaillera DLL into your own application. This DLL is Windows based and not portable as-is (unless you reverse engineered it)
December 28, 2008 09:26AM
I don't know how Kaillera works, but couldn't you capture its packets to see what data it sends and thereby get a picture of what needs to be done? It seems like it wouldn't be possible to port Kaillera but something similar could be implemented for existing emulators.
December 28, 2008 09:47AM
@iofthestorm:
whodares
All it does is transmit inputs from one system down the wire to another system.

So in other words, when you press left, it sends a player 1 left command to your friend's emulator, when he presses B, it sends a player 2 B to yours etc.
December 29, 2008 08:53PM
Yeah, I kind of assumed that. That's the only method that makes any sense really, although obviously there's more complexity involved for keeping in sync and verifying data sent etc. That's more what I was referring to.
December 29, 2008 09:26PM
It doesn't have any sort of syncing code, as I found out playing MAME across a LAN with one of my friends.

We were playing Killer Instinct, and after we finished a fight, I entered my name and started anew, he shouted across at me to put my name in...

They can't really add something like that within Kaillera, because Kaillera doesn't have any control of the application that is interfacing with it... So if there is a dropped packet. Kaillera can't rollback an emulator frame etc. to reinsert it. (This is how GGPO works).

Unless things have changed, of course... They might have found a way to do something to improve syncing.

Edit: Read this: [www.kaillera.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 09:30PM by whodares.
December 30, 2008 02:29AM
Leave it to Eke-Eke and co.
They already know how to inmplement network play, or at least have a good idea about it.
(I guess right now it is not a priority)
Bringing Kaillera to the Wii is not a good idea.

what is GGPO?
December 30, 2008 03:06AM
Good
Game
Peace
Out

It's a netplay library, pretty much like Kaillera, but intended for fighting games, arcade-style. The GGPO beta uses a special edition of FinalBurn Alpha, adapted for use with the library.

And just to fill this post a little more =P

whodares
They can't really add something like that within Kaillera, because Kaillera doesn't have any control of the application that is interfacing with it... So if there is a dropped packet. Kaillera can't rollback an emulator frame etc. to reinsert it. (This is how GGPO works).

GGPO site
If the simulations diverge, GGPO rolls back to the most recent accurate state, corrects the mistake, and jumps back to the current frame, all before the player can notice. This provides the illusion of lag-free gameplay.
December 30, 2008 08:46AM
I must admit, I'm very skeptical of GGPO, and really want to see it in action.

Anybody fancy a game of Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike? :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login