Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVD Movies on Wii!

Posted by Link_of_Hyrule 
DVD Movies on Wii!
August 14, 2008 07:47AM
As most of you know the DVD Lib has been released anyways just thought I'd help you guys out by making simple instructions on how to get it working and making it a little easier to get set up. [hackmii.com]

I've bundled up the DVDX Installer and the new MPlayer with a readme which I wrote and put it together in the slightly more HBC friendly dvd hax pack. Post any dvds (original pressed ones not burned ones) you've tested I'll add them to the list.

EDIT: I updated the meta.xml and icon.png files for the DVDx with the files that come with the "Wiibrew SD Installer"

Updated DVD Hax Pack Download

DVDs that have been tested with the "Play DVD (libdvdnav)" Function that have problems:
Bullet Proof Monk (won't load I tried to copy this and it said it was dual layer so that maybe why)
E.T (worked but slowly)
Harvey (causes code dump)
Hitch (works but takes a bit to load)
The Nanny season 1 (Doesn't work possible because of dvd9 format)

edit: I'm not really able to keep this list updated to if u want to know other ones people test just read the thread.

FAQ:

Q: Did you make or code any of this?
A: No all credit goes to the Team Tweazer Devs and all the other Developers that worked hard on MPlayer. I'm just here to make things easier for people new to homebrew.

Q: Will this burn out my Wii's DVD Drive?
A: NO!

Erant // Aug 13, 2008 at 2:53 am

The myth of you being able to ‘burn out’ a DVD laser is pretty much what it says on the tin, a myth. This drive was designed specifically for two things. reading Wii games, and reading DVD-Videos. There are special commands in the drive for doing so. (We use these commands to read these discs without a modchip). So, these drives were designed with reading DVD-Videos in mind. (And even if they wern’t, you’re running the entire drive in spec. I’ve been told these myths came about when people were pot-tuning their PS2s, running them out of spec. Running any piece of hardware beyond the limits that were set for it will break it in the long run)

Q: Do I need a modchip to run it?
A: No just a Wii with the Homebrew Channel Installed but if you do have a modchip you may need to use Patch_Mii.

Q: Will this play burned DVDs?
A: Yes but DVD+Rs will need to have their BookType set to DVD-ROM to work properly in Normal mode unless you are using a modchip with patch_mii installed.

Q: My DVD {Insert Name Here} doesn't work, has an error, or other problems?
A: Please post your problem maybe with can help also report it to the MPlayer developers so if its a bug they can fix it.

Q: What's this extra di folder do I need it?
A: That is used by developers you don't need it unless your using it to code something.

Q: I tested some DVDs I own what should I do?
A: Post what DVDs you tested and if they work or any problems they have when testing then.

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2008 06:16AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
Re: DVD Movies on Wii!
August 14, 2008 01:23PM
I tested some DVD's too:

Wii info:
Wii PAL (from 3.3 to 3.2)(yes thanks to wanin)
Mod chip Wiikey
I installed patch_me
Di patch I did install : patch_mii

Tested:
The Nanny (Fran Drescher) sesion 1 (orginal) Didn't work (I tried 4 times) (I think because this is a dvd9 dvd)
Adam sandler Happy Gilmore (burned) worked
Monsters and co (oringal) worked
E.T (orginal) worked small bit slow...
Eight crazy nights (adam sandler) Worked
August 15, 2008 12:43AM
Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King, Special Edition (works)

But menus don't work.
August 15, 2008 02:25AM
Did you use the libdvdnav instead of just the regular dvd function?
August 15, 2008 05:19AM
Both seasons of Supernatural work.
August 15, 2008 10:25AM
Link_of_Hyrule
Did you use the libdvdnav instead of just the regular dvd function?

Yep. I got the menu with a highlighted box but I couldn't get the box to move. I tried pointing and using the d-pad, it just kept making the menu animation repeat.
August 15, 2008 11:27AM
ohhh dude you have to hold down 2 while you press the other buttons didn't you read the readme? Also press 1 to hide the MPlayer Menu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 11:31AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
August 15, 2008 10:14PM
I knew how to hide the menu. But no, I didn't read the readme. I was just too excited to test it. Guess I'm just an idiot. hehe.

I'll test all my other DVDs to make up for it.
August 15, 2008 10:26PM
lol ok then have fun :)
August 19, 2008 12:01AM
The DVD library is only for homebrew applications running from HBC right? No homebrew directly from The Disc Channel?
August 19, 2008 01:39AM
Correct, only through the HBC.
August 19, 2008 02:56AM
Okay, Thanks. I thought that was the only thing since there is no "backup" issues with piracy.
August 20, 2008 06:39PM
Heh it's all good work, dvd player runs perfect :D
August 20, 2008 10:59PM
DVDs watched (All original DVDs):

- Star Wars Episode III (Dual layer if I'm not mistaken, runs just fine)
- SpiderMan 1 (I haven't tested this on my TV, I don't have component cables for HD, but it seems darker on an LCD)
- Cloverfield (No problem)
- Pirates of tha Caribbean: At Worlds End (libDVDnav required to use, gotta skip through all tha previews though)
- Hitchhiker's Guide to tha Galaxy (libDVDnav required to use, one again you must skip through all tha previews. PROBLEM though is it's either my copy or just tha movie, but it lags really bad)
- Office Space (Fine, few lags here and there)
- I Am Legend (Works fine Edit: I forgot it takes a while to load)

Edit 1:
- TRANSFORMERS *2007* (Plays, but I don't know if it's my DVD. It's pretty scratched up, but in a few parts it lags)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 11:19PM by Smalls1652.
August 22, 2008 07:15AM
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist works perfectly with play dvd, but with libdvdnav the menus sputter then the audio and video gets out of sync in the movie.
August 22, 2008 10:14AM
Oh, so to see menus you need to use libdvdnav? I wasn't sure what that was for. I've had bad luck with some bootleg DVDs from Asia but that's most of the DVDs that I have access to. I don't actually watch any DVD movies myself.
August 23, 2008 06:54AM
Adr990
I tested some DVD's too:

Wii info:
Wii PAL (from 3.3 to 3.2)(yes thanks to wanin)
Mod chip Wiikey
I installed patch_me
Di patch I did install : patch_mii

Why does everybody DOWNGRADE from their system from 3.3 to 3.2? As far as I know, 3.3 works FINE with Twilight hack (I did it with version 3.3U). And why always 3.2? Why not 3.1 or 3.0? I would NEVER downgrade for 2 reasons:

1) Some games that require 3.3 (especially those that install it) won't work if you don't have that version of the OS. So that just sounds plain stupid.

2) Messing with the system is a good way to BRICK your console. And that sounds VERY stupid.
August 23, 2008 08:08AM
I think it's because the Freeloader doesn't work with 3.3
August 23, 2008 02:28PM
Personally, I agree with Videogamer.
August 24, 2008 05:31AM
Does anyone know of a true homebrew DVD player software that was made for the Wii?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login