Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wolfenstein WiiBrew

Posted by LaughingMan008 
Re: Wolfenstein WiiBrew
October 21, 2010 10:36PM
^^^The end aim of what he's trying to do is get them running on Wii, which has been what I've been trying to do like you have. Note the clear step where he says that after installing the mission pack that would overwrite the original .sod files he says to try and use them in his port once they are overwritten. You read my posts as though I'm trying to install to PC only, when in fact installing to PC is merely one small step I've tried in getting the mission packs to run on Wii, as I assumed having the files from a pre-installation would be suitable to run the mission packs on Wii. It's really how the Spear of Destiny port works. You dont get the .sod files from the disc straight away. You have to install the original game on PC to produce those files. I was trying to get suitable files from a PC installation to use on Wii to see if they'd work.

That's where I got my idea from. MrPeanuts idea is similar except he's attempting to have a mission pack overwrite original files to be recognized and used properly by his port.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 10:42PM by nightwishfan1.
October 21, 2010 11:30PM
Sorry for double post, but tried patching the game .sod files with a mission pack .exe installation to use with the Wii port, and the result is odd, and I dont know what to make of what to do with the files I have. I believe two of the original .sod files I placed in the directory were overwritten, as their file names are in all capital letters. On top of that I got 21 .map files for the individual floors of the expansion that was created, and a makegame.cfg file.

I'll take the required .sod files from this and try them with the Spear of Destiny Wii port, and report back with results.

EDIT; Not sure what mission pack is running, but one definitely is. Whatever one involves fighting a boss right out of the gate in the first level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 12:17AM by nightwishfan1.
October 22, 2010 02:53AM
It's really funny. On PC, I have NO trouble at all with these patches. Both Wolf and Spear are both installed into the same directory. Both mission packs are installed there as well. I just click SOD.EXE and select 1, 2, 3, or 4, and thats it. The program swaps out the game assets and I play. When I want to play a different pack, I just repeat the process. It never gets confused and never crashes or gives me any trouble at all.

EDIT: Are you running on the Wii? I don't remember if either starts like that. Im too lazy to check. Importat question is, are the textures, weapons, and enemies different at all? Thats how you know you're playing one of the mission packs.

EDIT 2: And if that setup mentioned earlier was sposed to make it Wii compatible, dont count on it. Heres part of my original post.... I took the snark out, I think:

MrPeanut
5. Copy all the files from your mission pack cd to your sod_missionpack_files directory. Overwrite all files. If it doesn't ask you to overwrite files you're copying them to the wrong directory.

Big problem. Two problems in fact.
If I use that file you mentioned last night, Spear of Destiny Mission Packs (1994)(FormGen Inc), THERE ARE NO SOD FILES IN IT. So it doesn't overwrite. But thats not a killer. Moving on to the other problem. If I use my Spear of Destiny Super CD, it does indeed overwrite everything. BUT, there is no SOD.EXE file in the archive to change mission packs with! Theres a SPEAR.EXE, an INSTALL.exe and a GAMEGEN.EXE
Also doesn't STOP me, but we'll get back to that in a second.

MrPeanut
6) I'm assuming you're using dosbox and have it installed (otherwise you wouldn't be able to run sod.exe). Run dosbox and sod.exe from your sod_missionpack_files directory. Select an option. This will patch your *.sod files in your sod_missionpack_files directory.

Actually, I can run SOD.EXE with or without DosBox, and Ive tried it both ways. If I use the zip file version, it does its thing. As I said, it doesnt overwrite anything when I unzip it into place, but SOD.EXE creates its replacement files.
Now, if I wanna use the CD files, I must first run install and put it somewhere like C:\SPEAR
THAT archive will have all the files weve been mentioning. Including the almighty SOD.EXE

MrPeanut
7) Back in Windows Explorer -- Copy all *.sod files ONLY. Copy those to Spear of Destiny (Wii)'s folder. Make sure boot.dol/AUDIOHED.SOD/AUDIOT.SOD/GAMEMAPS.SOD/MAPHEAD.SOD/VGADICT.SOD/VGAGRAPH.SOD/VGAHEAD.SOD/VSWAP.SOD are all in the same folder.

At that point its sposed to work. It doesnt. The screen goes black, it says "Unable to allocate wave buffer for sound 33"
Then dumps me back to HBS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 03:01AM by LaughingMan008.
October 22, 2010 04:44AM
^^^You run the gamegen.exe with the original Spear of Destiny .sod files in the directory he specified, but you need sod.exe there as well. Gamegen.exe is the mission pack installer. With the .sod files placed there it doesnt create it's own .sd2 or .sd3 files, or w/e offshoot file it would create normally, and with the sod.exe file it recognizes the directory it's installing to as the original Spear of Destiny.....Which is needed, cause I tried it without the sod.exe and it didnt do nothing. Now when you complete the installation with gamegen.exe only you'll instead see that 2 of the .sod files have changed from the way they were, which would be that their file names are in all caps. It would be the ones relating to the maps. The others get modified by the installation as well, but you wont notice any drastic changes to their file names or anything. They however should help with playing the mission packs.

So basically all you really need is to create a Spear of Destiny directory, and place sod.exe there along with the appropriate .sod files from the original Spear of Destiny, and gamegen.exe, run gamegen.exe, then take the .sod files after the installation, and place into the Spear of Destiny Wii build app location. You do not need to run sod.exe afterward as it will only be couteractive to what you're trying to get in the first place, which is the modified .sod files from installing gamegen.exe over them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 06:19AM by nightwishfan1.
October 30, 2010 05:27AM
Hi guys, I figured that I'd post a status update. I've gotten my port of wolf3d to compile and link using the new SDL and new devkitpro/libogc. I fixed the sound 33 problem. If anyone wants to know what the problem was -- it was a problem with a bitswapping routine. It was reading the sound's filesize as a negative number. This would indicate the datatype was not correct, as it was signed. I changed it by fixing the variable to unsigned which allows us to retrieve the correct filesize (size > 32,767bytes)

Anyway, the mission pack loaded after that. I have a few issues -- one of which I've solved. Certain sounds would "overlap." Think when you open a secret door, how you hear a machinegun sound during it. It was really bad on the mission packs. When you'd kill an SS officer he'd start to yell what he usually yells, and it'd cut into a dog dieing. It was actually quite humorous.... That problem is now solved with a GetSample() function fix.

My other issue seems to be when you inflict damage on certain enemies (SS in particular) weird animation frames will play. He'll either turn into a bat, or crouch down to the floor. If you inflict damage on a regular officer on occasion he will turn into a dog for a split second (ironic, eh?) and back to an officer. I'm getting to the root of this problem tonight.

Another problem is a crash when you change the deadzone variable. I've also had it crash randomly during testing while playing game. It's only happened once and I cannot get it to resurface.

That's all for now,
`MrPeanut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2010 05:27AM by MrPeanut.
October 30, 2010 07:12PM
I assume this new method utilizes the .sd2 and .sd3 files from their respective mission packs correct? Your previous installation method with dosbox seems to have mixed results. I know that whatever I accomplished in running isnt the original Spear of Destiny at all, nor can I tell if it's one of the mission packs, though assuming from the challenging first level I'd have to surmise that Ultimate Challenge is what's running, though without "enhancements". That or whatever I have is a completely different mod altogether somehow.

Anyways it's cool that you're helping us Mr. Peanut. The first time I accomplished anything a year ago on your Wii port of the engine I had it running briefly, and no sound, then a crash. With these developments, and everyone doing their part in testing what you suggest we'll have the mission packs running in no time.
October 30, 2010 09:34PM
Kickass work Mr. P!
Thanks for all your hard work. :)
October 31, 2010 04:08AM
nightwishfan1
I assume this new method utilizes the .sd2 and .sd3 files from their respective mission packs correct?

No. Just the sods. I've never seen an engine load anything but the sod files. I'd assume that the .sd2 and .sd3 file are used to generate the sods when you configure the mission packs, as well as the vocs.
October 31, 2010 02:34PM
Oh ok. Just checking since Laughingman got around an error by file swapping .sod files with the .sd2/3 files early on, but was missing the "enhanced" textures as a end result.
November 04, 2010 09:03AM
OK Guys,
I think I have all the issues resolved. Go to [sourceforge.net] and pick up Spear of Destiny - Wii 1.31.

If you have a "config.sod" in your game directory, I recommend deleting it. I've changed a few things in this release so I could have very easily broken something. That's why I'm holding off on a "formal" release until I know for sure if it runs OK with some testing.

BTW this version should work with any of the mission packs OR the original spear of destiny.

(EDIT) -- oh and by that I mean not all at the same time. I.E. you can't have one mission pack, another mission pack, and the original game in the same directory. In the future I'll write a small loader where you can put each set of mission pack files in a different directory under your root Spear of Destiny - Wii directory and when the engine launches it will ask you which version you want to run. That will come at a later date.

Enjoy, MrPeanut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 09:25AM by MrPeanut.
November 04, 2010 09:37PM
Awesome. Will give this a try and report back in this thread if any issues occur.

Edit: Seems that whatever I got running from the last time is still running, and unchanged, which is leading me to believe that one of the mission packs didnt feature "enhanced" textures at all. That being Ultimate Challenge I assume. I come to this conclusion, cause I'm using the same .sod files from last time from the last test, which patched the original spear of destiny .sod files.

Anyways I'll have to dig through my computer desk for the other disk to Return to Danger, and then I'll report back again on this same thread, and re-edit this post as well, unless a new post comes before I do so.

Also thanks MrPeanut for helping, and digging through the code to get to the bottom (hopefully) of the issues.

Re-Edit: Ok. With help from MrPeanut himself I can confirm the 2 mission packs are running, with correct textures, sounds, and the rest of the whole deal. Whatever I had running in the first place was not Ultimate Challenge, though I think I'll keep it since it's something I havent encountered before.

So big props to MrPeanut on the mission pack work all. Thanks again man.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 12:08AM by nightwishfan1.
November 05, 2010 12:43AM
Thanks for checking it out. I think before I do a formal release I'll write some kind of selector into the application. This will let you change what version of the game (Vanilla SOD, or any of the mission packs) as you play.

`MrPeanut
November 07, 2010 12:00AM
AWESOME work Mr P! Thanks so much for doing it! It all works perfectly. Just got a chance to try it.....
I know what Ill be playing this weekend. ;)
Don't worry too much about not having a mission selector. I just gave them all their own different folder names and XML titles, so playing what I want is easy. That way I can also prolly add more games with the random generator. Ill let ya know how that goes. Thanks again, you kick ass!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login