Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone here using the latest Wii firmware is able to use savegame backup programs?

Posted by the_importer 
I've tried everything I can think of but I just can't make any of those savegame backup homebrews programs to work.

They either don't load, don't do squat or tell me that they can't find any save data.

I really want to buy the new Red Wii that's coming out but I want to transfer my save data.
Re: Anyone here using the latest Wii firmware is able to use savegame backup programs?
October 23, 2010 12:41PM
Savegame Extractor will work, but you will need the game in the disc drive in each case, so will need to keep switching discs. All the other current SaveGame tools require a patched IOS AFAIK, and installing patched IOS is not supported here (although the apps are if you already have a patched, or a very old, IOS; old IOS don't need to be patched to work). However, I believe that tools such as SaveGame Manager GX could be modified to use HW_AHBPROT instead. Don't know if the developer(s) are interested in that though, bug them about it and they might do it :p (Don't really bug them, just ask nicely)
Re: Anyone here using the latest Wii firmware is able to use savegame backup programs?
October 23, 2010 02:54PM
SifJar, you are correct.

All Savegame Managers require specifically cIOS249 except Savegame Manager MOD (by Arikado) and Savegame Manager GX both of which will use any IOS with nand permissions. There is also Banana Saves [www.wiibrew.org] which I found great for backing up saves, but it also requires an IOS with nand permissions enabled.

If the only thing you want to do is to enable copying your savegames to move them to another Wii, you could try using DOP-Mii to install an old revision (with nand permissions) of IOS36 into another slot, such as 236. This will be safe to be done even on the new red Wii since you will not be downgrading nor patching any IOS. Afterwards, run Banana Saves or Savegame Manager MOD on that IOS (236 in my example).

I believe this will work for you, without having to downgrade anything, which eventually would lead you to have to install more things to prevent the downgraded file from being updated again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 03:14PM by Axel.
@SifJar & Axel

Thanks for your replies, but I already tried these prior to posting this message:

-Savegame Extractor just gives me "This is not a valid Wiiw application" message
-SaveGame Manager GX gives me a "No SaveGame found in Wii" message
-I've tried every IOS options in Savegame Manager MOD and Banana Saves, none of them worked, half the error removes my Wiimote fonctions and forces me for hold down the damn power button for 5 seconds and restating my Wii
-DOP-Mii doesn't want me to downgrade anything

I think something's wrong with my Wii -_-
October 23, 2010 06:43PM
Axel
SifJar, you are correct.

All Savegame Managers require specifically cIOS249 except Savegame Manager MOD (by Arikado) and Savegame Manager GX both of which will use any IOS with nand permissions. There is also Banana Saves [www.wiibrew.org] which I found great for backing up saves, but it also requires an IOS with nand permissions enabled.

If the only thing you want to do is to enable copying your savegames to move them to another Wii, you could try using DOP-Mii to install an old revision (with nand permissions) of IOS36 into another slot, such as 236. This will be safe to be done even on the new red Wii since you will not be downgrading nor patching any IOS. Afterwards, run Banana Saves or Savegame Manager MOD on that IOS (236 in my example).

I believe this will work for you, without having to downgrade anything, which eventually would lead you to have to install more things to prevent the downgraded file from being updated again.

Downgraded IOS36 won't work on a new Wii, regardless of where you install it.
October 23, 2010 07:56PM
SifJar

Of course they'd do as long as they as post-Oct23 update IOS. There are still revisions with nand permissions enabled after it.

And I wouldn't be that sure that pre-Oct23 IOS don't work if installed in another slot. They won't be working as IOS36, but as a cIOS.

And to the poster:

Make sure you have IOS58 installed, you are on the latest HBC (1.0.8) and it is running on IOS58 (press home at the HBC to see the IOS being used by it) and also that you are running the latest DOP-Mii version from wiibrew.org. When you launch it from HBC, select it to run on IOS58 + ABHPROT. This will allow DOP-Mii to install any IOS you want.

If you don't have IOS58 installed, get Tantric's IOS58 Installer.

I hope this helps you.
October 23, 2010 08:24PM
Axel
SifJar

Of course they'd do as long as they as post-Oct23 update IOS. There are still revisions with nand permissions enabled after it.

And I wouldn't be that sure that pre-Oct23 IOS don't work if installed in another slot. They won't be working as IOS36, but as a cIOS.

No those IOS simply don't work with new hardware, they are incompatible. There are a couple of articles about it on HackMii, but the gist of what was said is there were hardware revisions, and the old IOS no longer work on new hardware. It doesn't matter were they are installed, they will not work.

And I'm not completely sure you are correct about post Oct 23 IOS working on all Wiis, I don't know exactly when the changes came about that made IOS incompatible. Anyway, that update eliminated trucha bug and all other public vulnerabilities in every IOS except IOS16, which cannot be obtained legally in a working state.

Basically, it is not possible to do anything with a downgraded IOS on a new Wii. The only option would be a patched IOS, which is not supported here.
October 23, 2010 10:47PM
the_importer
Savegame Extractor just gives me "This is not a valid Wiiw application" message

Launch it through a different loader. Loadmii might work, otherwise, try an old revision of the HBC (this requires system menu 4.1 or older, or a system menu patched with StartPatch or Priiloader).

the_importer
SaveGame Manager GX gives me a "No SaveGame found in Wii" message

It requires cIOS 249, which is not supported here. I don't know why it is even on WiiBrew at all, since everything else that requires a patched IOS was removed.

the_importer
I've tried every IOS options in Savegame Manager MOD and Banana Saves, none of them worked, half the error removes my Wiimote fonctions and forces me for hold down the damn power button for 5 seconds and restating my Wii

That is because you do not have an IOS with NAND permissions.

the_importer
DOP-Mii doesn't want me to downgrade anything

You could get it to work, but you shouldn't bother since it will only cause problems for you. Old IOSes will not work on newer wiis.

the_importer
I think something's wrong with my Wii -_-

This is completely normal, there is nothing wrong with your wii.
@Axel

I have IOS61 in the Homebrew Channel, so in DOP-Mii, I see IOS61 + ABHPROT.

Is it too late to revert or something?
October 24, 2010 01:59AM
If you select use IOSxx + AHBPROT (where the xx is currently 61 in your case), DOP-Mii will be able to downgrade IOSes. However, as was already stated, if you are using a newer ("LU64+") wii, the pre October 23, 2008 IOSes will not work. None of the newer IOSes have the necessary exploits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 02:00AM by jbc007.
@jbc007

I have a launch Wii, November 2006 but I did keep up with the updates, so is it the same deal as having a new one?
October 24, 2010 02:38AM
No, you can downgrade IOS on that wii without trouble. Use DOP-Mii to install IOS 36 v1042 and you will be good to go. However, you will not be able to downgrade IOS on your newer wii. Therefore, this is not an option for installing the saves on the new wii.
@jbc007

So it's basically pointless to go on then. God, Nintendo can be so retarded sometimes. I actually started a topic on GameFaqs if anyone is interested. Pretty heavy debating between logic an fanboyism:

[www.gamefaqs.com]
October 24, 2010 03:59AM
See if you can launch SaveGame Installer through Loadmii. It might work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 03:59AM by jbc007.
You know what, screw this, I'm just gonna buy the damn system, go to an authorized repair center and tip the guy a fifty if he transfers my stuff.
October 24, 2010 05:39AM
Why don't you try pussieLoader?
October 24, 2010 01:32PM
bg4545
Why don't you try pussieLoader?

Won't work on the new Wii, as it needs to be run through bannerbomb, and I'd say there is a 99.99% chance the new Wii will have 4.3. Scratch that, I'd be 100% sure, considering red Wiis weren't even around back in the 4.2 days.

EDIT: There is another option that springs to mind: It will void the warranty of the new Wii, but if you were planning on installing HBC on it, that would have done so anyway. When you get the new Wii, keep your old one, then switch the cases of the red and white Wiis, then sell the new wii with the old white case. Then you'll have all your stuff still there and a red wii :) And just keep the new remote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 01:34PM by SifJar.
@SifJar

I thought about it but let's not forget, I have a launch system, so my Wii's flash memory is starting to get old, so I'd just be delaying my problem with this since there's a read and write limit on these things.

Also, I'm pretty sure that only physical modifications or tempering voids a hardware warranty. Pretty sure Nintendo would say it's voided but the local laws in my province would probably say otherwise (I'm in Quebec, so companies have to obliged by the Consumers Protection Law).
October 24, 2010 02:20PM
I'd still recommend you to at least be able for now to backup your savegames. You should at least be able to do this with no problem. When we get to the point of reinstalling them onto your new Wii we will look for more options.

Just install IOS36 rev1042 in slot 236 using DOP-Mii + ABHPROT flag. Then you will be able to successfully use either SaveGame Manager MOD or Banana Saves (I would recommend backing up with both, they use different methods of backing up).

There is no reason why you need to hold yourself back on backing them up if you have a old enough Wii. System Menu is not an issue. And regarding IOS58, if you want HBC to run on it (recommended) and you already have IOS58 installed, just run the HackMii installer again over the one you have, and reinstall HBC, it will then work on IOS58.
@Axel

DOP-Mii + ABHPROT didn't work, I mean it says it installed it but the save backup programs still don't work after this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login