Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiiengine/Hugo-Wii help, please!

Posted by NickyP 
Wiiengine/Hugo-Wii help, please!
December 22, 2010 02:33AM
I'm trying to run a PC Engine CD game, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (known in the states as River City Ransom). Regardless of which of the two emulators I use, I get "Load Error" in the Super CD bios menu (the one that says "Push Run Button!"). I've followed the instructions as stated in both emulators.

Has anyone gotten this particular game to play? I would have tested it on the PC version of Hugo, but it won't run for some reason. Also, the Magic Engine demo can't seem to run .iso files. I also have not tried to run the other PC Engine CD games, like the popular Dracula X.
Re: Wiiengine/Hugo-Wii help, please!
December 24, 2010 03:17PM
....Extract the iso file with 7-zip, or winrar. The only reason you havent recieved help before me are for a few reasons.

1. You got an iso file, and obviously have no clue what to do with it.

2. This relates to reason 1. Since you had no clue what to do with the iso you obviously downloaded it from somewhere. This site doesnt condone pirating activities, and you'll probably be looked at with a grain of salt each time (if at all) when you ask a rom related question.

If you're going to download roms your best bet is a forum other than this, cause they wont help you resolve the issue when you make it obvious to how you got the rom you'll be asking about.
December 24, 2010 10:49PM
Uhh... ok. First off, there are plenty of topics below mine with multiple posts which discuss running certain ROMs on certain systems; there was no problem there. Secondly, the rules explicitly state the following:

- Links to copyrighted material (e.g. ISOs/Warez/ROMs/WADs), or copyrighted material itself.
- Information about how to obtain ANY kind of copyrighted material without proper licensed permission.
- Information about how to run or make backups/copies of Wii discs.
- Information about how to install or make pirated copies of downloadable Wii content.
- Information about or references to software developed for the purpose of any of the above, including "loaders", system modifications that they depend on ("cIOS"), and tools developed to support these.

While the rules are not necessarily limited to that list, no where is it stated that you can't discuss how to run ROMs on an emulator. The fact that multiple threads of similiar subjects, and their topic creators, still exists attests that this isn't a problem. No one likes a vigilante admin.

Now then. I've used plenty of CD based emulators with .iso's and .bin's and such; and I've never had to extract them with 7z. You seem to know something that I don't (and something the emulator author never mentioned), would you care to elaborate?

EDIT: Also, neither WinRAR nor 7z are able to extract any files from the .iso. Elaborate more, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2010 10:56PM by NickyP.
December 25, 2010 02:33AM
Yes there are threads discussing roms. I dont argue that. They dont discuss however the roms coming from a prepared iso, torrent, or other form of compressed files (all signs that they were prepared this way for illegal distribution by someone). Your problem with winrar or 7zip. You probably didnt associate iso files with them when you installed both, cause they can extract iso contents if they're associated to that file type when the programs are first installed. They give you the option to associate multiple file types clear as day, and iso is one of them. Anyways this would place your post about the iso at:

Information about or references to software developed for the purpose of any of the above, including "loaders", system modifications that they depend on ("cIOS"), and tools developed to support these.

Software made to make game contents into single compressed iso files to spread around more easily falls under that.

As for the CD emulators question bit. Simple...The wii port of a given emulator cant do everything that the pc version can. Trying to load a single actual iso file with all the game data is beyond the wiis hardware limitations. Using all the consoles resources to read the game data through the iso image is just too much. The pc counterpart of a given emulator has a ton of hardware resources available to do that. It's a big difference. Anyways having it extracted as the necessary bin, cue, and any other associated files gives the wii hardware a means to read the raw game data that's needed to run a given CD based game much more easily. The wii is clearly not on the same level as a pc we use for various things.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2010 02:43AM by nightwishfan1.
December 25, 2010 08:19AM
I may have to convert it to a bin, then. Though the readme of Hugo-Wii suggests that it is capable of handling iso's (and others have reported being able to run the iso of Dracula X), clearly this one doesn't run. Maybe I'll find better luck there.

In the meantime, if anyone HAS gotten Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari to run with either emulator, please assist. :)
December 26, 2010 07:45PM
Here's the thing about the mentioning of iso images. People will say iso to reference the game image without thinking sometimes, and not as an actual compressed iso disc image. I've run into this several times where people just spit out iso, and not mean a iso disc image, but rather the bin format image. It's confusing, but when you run into someone saying iso just think "Oh ok, they mean the game in bin format", cause people using the wiisx emulator will also just say they have the iso of this game, and that game, when they're really referencing the fact they got the game image in an appropriate format for a given emulator.
December 27, 2010 02:47AM
While partially right, both ISOs and BINs are formats commonly used as disc image formats. Regardless, they're both pretty much the same. And, ummm... I'm trying to understand your logic, but I can't quite grasp how if people say they're using ISOs, to think they're actually using BINs, when they really might be using ISOs...

Not personally necessary to clarify, just sayin'...
December 28, 2010 12:57AM
Most likely, this game is not compatible.
Both emu share the same hugo! core which is quite outdated and less accurate/compatible than other PC emus.
December 28, 2010 11:02PM
Blast, I suspected the same thing myself.

Eke-eke, I'm sure this is a bit much of me to ask, but would you be willing to/is it possible to make that game compatible with your Hugo-Wii? If not I understand perfectly, but I was really looking forward to a working Turbo-CD emulator for this game...
December 29, 2010 05:09AM
Magil
While partially right, both ISOs and BINs are formats commonly used as disc image formats. Regardless, they're both pretty much the same. And, ummm... I'm trying to understand your logic, but I can't quite grasp how if people say they're using ISOs, to think they're actually using BINs, when they really might be using ISOs...

Not personally necessary to clarify, just sayin'...

Well it's hard to clarify anyway, but over on emulatemii some people who use wiisx clearly know how to use the emulator by how they talk, and in their comments make reference to ISOs when they mention their games even though the emulator doesnt support actual ISO format images. I dont see them mentioning BINs, and w/e else. I dont know why they do it, but they do.
December 29, 2010 06:35AM
nightwishfan1
Well it's hard to clarify anyway, but over on emulatemii some people who use wiisx clearly know how to use the emulator by how they talk, and in their comments make reference to ISOs when they mention their games even though the emulator doesnt support actual ISO format images. I dont see them mentioning BINs, and w/e else. I dont know why they do it, but they do.

I believe that's due to the nature of the emulator; the basic "rom" of a CD based emulator is usually an ISO, despite it also using BINs and such. It's similiar to how, when we talk about an SNES emulator, we never refer to the games as SMCs, but ROMs.

UPDATE: After successfully running Dracula X on WiiEngine, I've realized that I'm supposed to run the game from the .toc file, not the iso. I then went and ran Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari's toc, and no longer did I get a "Load Error!"... instead, I got a black screen after "Please Wait...". I could still exit the emu and such, but yeah.

So I'm guessing the game just isn't compatible? Or is my copy the defect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 08:02AM by NickyP.
January 02, 2011 02:20PM
It's most likely that the game will not run on the emulator for issues yet to be resolved. Actually, don't expect them to ever be ironed out. The emulators which Hugo Wii and WiiEngine are based upon have been abandoned for nearly 10 years, and do not show any signs of ever coming back from their dormant state. I doubt ekeeke would like to put upon himself the burden of fixing the issues on these emulators. It's also a sad fact that the TG-16 (and the CD ad-on, for that matter) aren't as popular as other vintage consoles like the NES or SMS, thus development on these is quite limited.

If someone were to port over the TG-16 core from Mednafen over to the Wii, there might be a better chance of having your game run along with the rest of your library games, on your TV. But you shouldn't hold your breath. The only work around to playing the game would be NOT playing it on your Wii, but instead hooking up your PC to your TV, and launch the game through a much better emulator like Magic Engine.

... so sorry about your predicament. I've been personally waiting for a Sega CD emulator to be developed or ported to the Wii, and while better known compared to the CD ad-on of the TG-16, it's has yet to see the light of day.

... or, it might be you have a bad copy, and all I just wrote was for naught -__-;;;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2011 02:20PM by Magil.
January 04, 2011 07:05AM
Magil
... so sorry about your predicament. I've been personally waiting for a Sega CD emulator to be developed or ported to the Wii, and while better known compared to the CD ad-on of the TG-16, it's has yet to see the light of day.

While I know it's not the same, if you have a homebrew-enabled PSP, PicoDrive has absolutely perfect SegaCD emulation.

Magil
... or, it might be you have a bad copy, and all I just wrote was for naught -__-;;;

I wouldn't know; the only copies I could find gave me the same results. With that much to go by, it could really go either way...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login