Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GenesisGX won't load 32x and Sega CD games

Posted by technoman 
GenesisGX won't load 32x and Sega CD games
May 22, 2011 03:16AM
Can genesisplusGX run 32x and Sega CD games? I currently have a couple of homebrew roms that I made that I want to test.
Re: GenesisGX won't load 32x and Sega CD games
May 22, 2011 03:29AM
Maybe if you read you'll learn something. No, it doesn't support those.
May 22, 2011 08:07PM
Sorry, I feel stupid. How hard would it be to add/make an emulator that supports the 32x and SegaCD?
May 22, 2011 11:30PM
I'm not sure, it might be easier to just port a different emulator since Genesis Plus doesn't support 32x or segacd
May 22, 2011 11:46PM
What about Kega Fusion? How hard would that be to port? Also do you need any knowledge in programming or could you just run the pc source code through a wii compiler?
May 23, 2011 04:11AM
If it were that easy, then someone would have done it already :P It would be a serious amount of work to port Kega to the Wii, and would probably require a lot of additional optimization. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Why is it that you have to test your homebrew roms on the Wii hardware? Couldn't you just test them on the PC with kega?
May 23, 2011 04:26AM
To quote the author of Kega Fusion:
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=KegaFAQ&bl=y
Kega FAQ[/url]]Will there be a port of Fusion to other architectures?!?!

No, there won't be a port of Fusion to other architectures in the near future and there probably never will be.

Fusion is written in x86-ASM and would require a complete rewrite to a portable language like c/c++, therefore it will only run on Machines that are able to execute x86-code.

In other words: A rewrite for it to run on PPC/Alpha/ARM is not doable without substantial effort, which means: There won't be a PocketPC, PSP, Dreamcast, etc. port.
So, no it's not going to happen.
I'm also wondering why you need to test roms on the Wii rather than a PC.
May 23, 2011 04:45PM
My computer recently got the blue screen of death and won't even boot up anymore and my new Alienware isn't gonna be here for another four weeks. Until then all of my coding materials are being run on my Wii so I don't even have the full capabilities. Would I be able to rework the genesis plus source code to allow for 32x and Sega CD support?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 04:48PM by technoman.
May 23, 2011 05:43PM

Would I be able to rework the genesis plus source code to allow for 32x and Sega CD support?

Well, it depends...

If you are able to :

- read hundred of pages from the available hardware documentation about Sega CD / 32x and understand how it worked at inner level
- read thousand of lines from available open-source 32x and Sega CD cores (actually, only a few exist, all based on the good old Gens) and understand how it can eventually be emulated
- study current source of Genesis Plus GX and figure how to adapt former implementations for its own code design and Wii restrictions (sorry, this is not as simple as copy-pasting code)
- spend weeks of emulation coding and debugging to get something eventually boot
- realize that it doesn't work fast enough and that it needs serious optimization to be enjoyable
- realize that a lot of things does not work as expected in the core you copied or documentation and need you to test stuff on real hardware

then I would say that maybe you will be able to do something.

Off course, these all depend on your current level of knowledge (coding, hardware, emulation, etc), any of these steps could took you a few days or several years actually...

Let's hope this clears up this redundant question about "adding" 32x/CD support once for all :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 05:48PM by ekeeke.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login