Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Capture wii screen application

Posted by ubberkid 
Capture wii screen application
January 11, 2009 11:16AM
Ok, So here's the deal. I want to start a team to help me program a new home brew application that can capture the Wii's screen and then put the captured video onto an SD card automatically. Here's what i was thinking, You start the home brew app, it will ask you to put in the game disk you want to capture, or to goto the wii menu to capture that. After you put in the disk it will start the video capture and then when you enter a certain command on the wii mote it will go back to the app and save the captured video to an SD card that is inserted into the wii. This is for people that like to make videos of their game matches like SSBB. Since its doing it straight from the wii, no need to go out and buy a cord that connects from your tv to your computer to capture the video. This sounds like it would help ALOT of people, I am pretty sure that this application is possible. I dont even know where to begin so i would really like it if i could put together a team to help me make this application a reality. Contact me if you can help (PM) or post a reply.

If you can contribute at all i would appreciate it. This could be awesome.
Re: Capture wii screen application
January 11, 2009 01:39PM
So basically, you know nothing about coding and are looking for people to make something for you?
January 11, 2009 02:19PM
To do what you want, Wii must handle background processes and do other magics too...
As far as I know, Wii can't execute background processes... This is right ?
January 11, 2009 02:23PM
check out this topic

here

as funny as the topic may be, there were some idea's floating around there that may help
January 11, 2009 08:19PM
Seems like a great idea.. i know about a years worth of c++ if theres anyway i can contribute let me know..
January 12, 2009 02:08AM
Well i pulled out an important post from that topic.

"You understand it right. However, there are cetain tricks and methods that could be used to "lighten" the load.

Firstly, you actually have several outputs, each with varying degrees of speed. SD card, USBGecko, WiFi, USB-LAN and USB Mass Storage. Gecko and WiFi might provide an advantage in that you can basically shove the data out, and perform video encoding on a recipient (ie. desktop PC). This would would also reduce processing time from grabbing the data.

As I was talking this over with one of my friends, he said that it would still require ~600KB of transfer per frame. From my understanding, these code hooks apply from the PowerPC side, leaving the ARM chip relatively untouched.

So was born the idea of using the IOS Module Toolkit (http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Custom_IOS_Module) to create a /dev/videoencoder device. This would mean the PowerPC chip could flush data to the ARM processor (or even just nudge the ARM chip to get it itself). The ARM could then encode, and return the data back to the PowerPC for outputting.

This will allow you to compress the data, meaning less transfer time, and should less affect the console running a game.

You could also just collect every other frame or something like that. You're video might not be as smooth, but hey.

Ultimately, I think unless you're wanting the real technical challenge, time verses money, you'd be better off buying a cheap video capture device IMO."

This could be some crucial info that could really help.

Legend28469
Seems like a great idea.. i know about a years worth of c++ if theres anyway i can contribute let me know..

Of course you can help, all help is appreciated. And naed thanks for getting me that topic.

Since somehow he accidentally deleted it. Which i highly doubt he made in the first place. It's still an idea and we need to make it come true, im trying to learn all about the wii as much as i can in this short period of time as to not be a burden.

If you know someone who could help make this, friends, etc. Give em a link to this topic, we need all the pro help we can get.
January 12, 2009 02:09AM
epinter
To do what you want, Wii must handle background processes and do other magics too...

I'm pretty sure it can. Example: ocarina? Am i right, or does it not do the proccesses in the background?
January 12, 2009 02:10AM
Arikado
So basically, you know nothing about coding and are looking for people to make something for you?

For the most part, yes. I'm trying to help the people like me that dont wanna buy the cords to record.
January 12, 2009 02:47AM
ubberkid
epinter

I'm pretty sure it can. Example: ocarina? Am i right, or does it not do the proccesses in the background?

Ocarina puts in "hooks" before game launch. I too would like to see screen video recorder but we need a multi-threading system created first. The PSP's style of setup is a good base to design a 3rd party system/systemmenu off of. The "plug-ins" can change functionality at almost any point of the system running.
January 12, 2009 05:17AM
Is the wii capable of multi-threading? Correct me if im wrong, The simplest would be where one thread runs until it is blocked by an event that normally would create a long latency stall. We cant do that?
January 12, 2009 12:17PM
Theoretically, Wii is capable of multi-threading, since IOS always runs in background when you are using the console. But AFAIK, there's no way to run multiple processes in user level using the tools avaiable at the moment.
January 13, 2009 06:08AM
There is absolutely no tool that can give us full access to the system and do whatever we want with it. There has to be something.. :| Someone if you gots anything that could help us with this PLEASE reply.
January 13, 2009 06:28AM
you could wait for BootMii ;)
January 13, 2009 07:51PM
What is bootMII :D Explain to me. And will it help with what im trying to do? giving me more user access to the system yeah? yeah? D:
January 13, 2009 08:18PM
BootMii replaces boot2 (before the System Menu/IOS starts), so you could do pretty much what you want with the hardware. [I think that's how it works at least]
January 13, 2009 08:53PM
Dude yes. Ill just wait, i cant wait.
:D
January 13, 2009 10:37PM
Forget it about BootMii. It just take's control of the boot process. Awesome for fixing bricks. But you won't be able to do anything different than what you can do today, unless you push really hard and create some kind of stub to be run by Starlet. So the stub will run in protected memory, and all capture-screen stuff will be done by it...

Hey, wait, that's sounds a good idea! It's somewhat feasible?
January 14, 2009 05:56AM
DanielHueho
Forget it about BootMii. It just take's control of the boot process. Awesome for fixing bricks. But you won't be able to do anything different than what you can do today, unless you push really hard and create some kind of stub to be run by Starlet. So the stub will run in protected memory, and all capture-screen stuff will be done by it...

Hey, wait, that's sounds a good idea! It's somewhat feasible?

Oh really.. hmm.

Can we work off of your stub idea?
January 15, 2009 03:53AM
Bump :o
January 15, 2009 05:53PM
Please don't bump topics when they're still in the top 15 of latest topics posted on. If you want more immediate help, I recommend trying the #wiihelp or #wiidev IRC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login