Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pc controller for wii homebrew emulators?

Posted by hckyfrk2k7 
Pc controller for wii homebrew emulators?
February 16, 2009 04:02AM
Hey, I was just wondering, is it possible to use a logitech pc controller for the homebrew emulators on the wii? Or would it be possible to make? I just got one today and I want to use it for my SNES games on the wii (since I dont have a working gamecube controller anymore and cant afford to go buy one).......
Re: Pc controller for wii homebrew emulators?
February 17, 2009 02:08PM
If it is a USB controller and someone wrote drivers for it It could work...or you could plugg it in and hope...
February 17, 2009 05:04PM
Yeah, if someone made an app compatible with it, but I highly doubt it because there are so many controllers out there and you've only got one.
February 19, 2009 05:19PM
That would be pretty cool to see, thats for sure. I just went out and bought a couple of GC controllers with my b-day money, but I wasn't expecting that. Besides, I like my computer controller better anyways. And the controller is usb, so.......
February 20, 2009 08:49PM
Hmmm, probably there is some generic drivers for USB controllers... Creating one for homebrew would be really complicated, however.
February 22, 2009 06:15AM
They call it HID, and it's possible, but, hasn't been done.
March 05, 2009 03:15AM
Somethng I would verry much like to plug into the Wii is that classic atari-like controller, to play with StellaWii homebrew!

[www.legacyengineer.com]

This would be awesome!
March 06, 2009 01:34AM
iraebrasil
Somethng I would verry much like to plug into the Wii is that classic atari-like controller, to play with StellaWii homebrew!

[www.legacyengineer.com]

This would be awesome!

it would be possible to get a atari joystick that plugs into the GC ports and play it with that...
I will look around and see what I can find.

EDIT:

I found one! :

[www.raphnetshop.com]

I think I might get one too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 02:11AM by DrLucky.
May 05, 2009 12:16PM
I would really like to see support for USB controllers on the Wii, especially if they could be connected via a usb hub. I have 4 USB controllers which wold be great for playing Megadrive/SNES games.

I guess the best way to do it would be to create a driver which recognizes HID devices, and an application which translates the HID button pressed into Gamecube button presses. That way all homebrew that supports Gamecube controllers would automatically support USB Controllers with no additional coding needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 12:22PM by Pleng.
May 05, 2009 01:00PM
Pleng
and an application which translates the HID button pressed into Gamecube button presses

That kind of approach won't work on the Wii.

Wii software is monolithik, it handles the controllers on it's own.
Unlike Windows software for example, which handles any input via the OS.
May 05, 2009 01:55PM
Wow, that sounds like a right pain-in-the-arse!

Presumably it *could* be done if apps were designed to support it, though? In the same way DVDx provides a library for other apps to use DVDs, a controller interface could be made and apps would only need to be updated to make use of the library?
May 05, 2009 02:25PM
Pleng
Wow, that sounds like a right pain-in-the-arse!

I did not mean to sound rude.
It was just an opportunity to point out some importent differences between Wii software and PC software, because I have the feeling, that it leads to some missunderstandings.

Presumably it *could* be done if apps were designed to support it, though? In the same way DVDx provides a library for other apps to use DVDs, a controller interface could be made and apps would only need to be updated to make use of the library?
Yes, that could work.

Right now the situation is somewhere in between, because if somebody would write a library for USB-controller support, I guess everybody else would be happy to include it, as long as it suits an applicaton
May 05, 2009 06:37PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that you were being rude in any way. I meant that it's irritating that the Wii works that way, not that it was a pain you pointed it out!

Well, anyhow, it would really be nice to see USB gamepad support in emulators in one form or another somehow. But unfortunately I don't have any form of low-level coding ability, so unless anybody else feels like picking it up it'll remain just a nice idea :)
May 06, 2009 04:12AM
Pleng
I meant that it's irritating that the Wii works that way

For a video-game-console, it is a legitimate design choice, because console games usually do not change and are designed for special controller.
May 06, 2009 03:04PM
Fair point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login