Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Work together: Let's change (fix) our forum!

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Work together: Let's change (fix) our forum!
November 25, 2009 07:26PM
Hman360
Arikado
Can't the Homebrew Applications forum be used for that? (Also, the tutorials discussion was about coding tutorials, not homebrew (app) help ones)
OH... okay, I get it now... Although maybe even then, you could have some guys post small tutorials, perhaps in response to other coders' requests?
Well, the point is that said tutorials already exist so we are just going to create a sticky that lists all of them. Of course, forum members will be able to post topics and ask for help with any particular tutorial.

Hman360
I do see your point on the "legal" wad forums... I suppose even with 200 mods, it might be impossible to weed out all the illegal posts...
Even (in your own words) "legal" topics could be used as a source of information by pirates for illegal purposes.
November 25, 2009 07:41PM
Understood. Do you think maybe a mod should be in charge of mega-merging topics when more than maybe 3 of the same thing appear and are very popular?
November 25, 2009 07:56PM
I'm not sure there is enough demand for a Wii Linux forum tbh. I mean, there are very rarely posts on the forum asking about it or anything. Although it might be nice to have a guide somewhere to getting it all setup right, for different distros and stuff. But I'm not really sure there is enough chatter about it on the forums to justify a whole forum to it. But hey, thats just me =P

I do like the Reverse Engineering idea though, those forums are hardly ever used, and just make it take longer to scroll down the front page =P. Having two would be much more sensible IMO.
November 25, 2009 08:41PM
I think that we should allow discussion of programs that restore the trucha bug. It seems odd to me that we support so many programs that require it, including things like Startpatch which are only intended for system menu versions that were distributed without any trucha bugged IOSes, but we do not support any way to get the trucha bug. This requires people to go to web sites that support piracy to get a program to restore the trucha bug if they want to use these WiiBrew supported programs.

The issue with the program that restores the trucha bug seems to be that it is often used for piracy. However, what else would you expect if it can only be found in places where piracy is supported? I think that by not supporting this program, we are asking people to spend their time in places where they are likely to learn how to pirate wii games. This is certainly not what we want.

Consider all of the topics where someone needs the trucha bug in order to use a program that WiiBrew supports. We have to tell people to find this program themselves. This takes all of five seconds of googleing to do and will often lead people to a guide that explains how to pirate things. This is likely to help pirates much more than it would if we just supported the program.
November 25, 2009 08:48PM
Arikado, Just so you know I rarely wonder into the Homebrew sections and tend to stick to the Coding and Miscellaneous sections but if you're OK with that then I'd love to join the team. If you are looking for a more general helper then I'm sure one of these other guys is better suited.
November 25, 2009 09:07PM
I'm on the fence about jbc007's suggestion. While I agree that Trucha Bug has many legitimate uses,but once you have Trucha Bug, piracy is just a case of running a cIOS installer and getting a loader. Most of the legitimate uses for Trucha Bug are only suited to more advanced users, who will know how to get it anyway. However, in some cases, it is needed to fix a brick or something like that. So I think perhaps we should support Trucha Bug restoration tools. But on the other hand, its main use nowadays IS piracy, Team Twiizers have newer exploits for HBC and DVDx and BootMii installation, its only really useful for System Modification tools, which it is better if n00bs CAN'T use, so maybe not giving out info on Trucha Bug restoration makes it safer for n00bs, as then they wont see info on it, restore it, then use System Mod tools and brick their wii. So basically, this post is kinda pointless as I have come to no real conclusion.
November 25, 2009 09:10PM
SifJar, I feel the same way. I was going to try to respond to jbc007, but you took the words from my mouth.
November 25, 2009 09:15PM
jbc007: Many of the methods used to restore the trucha bug into an IOS are illegal in and of themselves. If there is a legal way to restore the trucha bug into an IOS that is not supported by WiiBrew, get WiiBrew to support it and our forums will support it too. For the record, we do support some programs and methods which can add the trucha bug into IOSs; I even [url=http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS MOD]wrote one[/url]!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 09:16PM by Arikado.
November 25, 2009 09:23PM
Arikado
we do support some programs and methods which can add the trucha bug into IOSs; I even wrote one!
Isn't a trucha bugged IOS required to be able to patch in the trucha bug with Dop IOS MOD?

Edit: BTW, I'm not saying I agree with jcb007....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 09:26PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
November 25, 2009 09:34PM
SifJar
I'm not sure there is enough demand for a Wii Linux forum tbh. I mean, there are very rarely posts on the forum asking about it or anything. Although it might be nice to have a guide somewhere to getting it all setup right, for different distros and stuff. But I'm not really sure there is enough chatter about it on the forums to justify a whole forum to it. But hey, thats just me =P.

Well I can honestly say that I've never messed with it because I've never been able to find a good, concise, clear, guide to it. If we made a Wii Linux section, and someone like you or Arikado wrote a guide to getting it set up right, I'll probably be chillin' in that forum quite often.
November 25, 2009 09:58PM
SifJar
While I agree that Trucha Bug has many legitimate uses,but once you have Trucha Bug, piracy is just a case of running a cIOS installer and getting a loader.

True, but installing cIOS and using a "backup" loader is no easier than restoring the trucha bug.

Arikado
Many of the methods used to restore the trucha bug into an IOS are illegal in and of themselves.

Isn't the most common way legal, though?

Arikado
If there is a legal way to restore the trucha bug into an IOS that is not supported by WiiBrew, get WiiBrew to support it and our forums will support it too.

How would I go about doing that?

Arikado
For the record, we do support some programs and methods which can add the trucha bug into IOSs; I even wrote one!

I am aware of programs such as this, however, I am talking about methods of restoring the trucha bug on wiis that do not have any trucha bugged IOSes, which Dop-IOS Mod can't do.

It is true that the trucha bug's main use at this point is piracy; however, there are still many legitimate uses for the trucha bug and it makes no sense that we support many programs that require it, but we do not support any way to enable it.

I do not think that it would help pirates if WiiBrew supported a method of restoring the trucha bug. After all, playing pirated wii games requires much more than the truch bug. Besides, it takes almost no time searching to find out how to enable the trucha bug, but this information is often accompanied by guides to pirating games. If WiiBrew supported a program to restore the trucha bug, it might even provent some people from finding these guides.

Edit: By the way, on the USB 2.0 cIOS section of the MPlayer CE page, there is a link to an old version of a trucha bug enabling application. If no one minds that link is there, I see no reason that the program should be forbidden anywhere else. WiiBrew has more commonly used programs than the USB 2.0 cIOS that require the trucha bug.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 10:06PM by jbc007.
November 25, 2009 09:59PM
cactusjack901
SifJar
I'm not sure there is enough demand for a Wii Linux forum tbh. I mean, there are very rarely posts on the forum asking about it or anything. Although it might be nice to have a guide somewhere to getting it all setup right, for different distros and stuff. But I'm not really sure there is enough chatter about it on the forums to justify a whole forum to it. But hey, thats just me =P.

Well I can honestly say that I've never messed with it because I've never been able to find a good, concise, clear, guide to it. If we made a Wii Linux section, and someone like you or Arikado wrote a guide to getting it set up right, I'll probably be chillin' in that forum quite often.

Me? lol. The reason I suggested a guide is I want to set it up my self, but haven't found a really good definitive guide, and don't know very much about Linux to go it alone.
November 25, 2009 10:05PM
WaxyPumpkin72
Arikado
we do support some programs and methods which can add the trucha bug into IOSs; I even wrote one!
Isn't a trucha bugged IOS required to be able to patch in the trucha bug with Dop IOS MOD?
So? It's a legal method of restoring the trucha bug into an IOS - a method which disproves jbc007 incorrectly stating that all such methods of which are unsupported by our forums.

Update: Will respond to jbc007s comment in a moment.

cactusjack901
Running linux on Wii is as simple as placing a few files onto your SD Card. The partition is stored on your SD Card, the NAND is never touched. No permanent changes are made to your Wii by Wii Linux. The biggest gurus behind it are all members of our forum. I'll see if I can get one of them to write and post a tutorial. If not, I'll certainly write one myself but it probably won't be as good as one of theirs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 10:06PM by Arikado.
November 25, 2009 10:07PM
Arikado
WaxyPumpkin72
Arikado
So? It's a legal method of restoring the trucha bug into an IOS - a method which disproves jbc007 incorrectly stating that all such methods of which are unsupported by our forums.
Yes, but if you have no trucha IOS, you can't get one. Does that make sense?
November 25, 2009 10:11PM
jbc007
Arikado
Many of the methods used to restore the trucha bug into an IOS are illegal in and of themselves.

The most common way I know of is not.

jbc007
Arikado
If there is a legal way to restore the trucha bug into an IOS that is not supported by WiiBrew, get WiiBrew to support it and our forums will support it too.

Start a discussion on #wiidev on EFNET or one the main talk page of the WiiBrew wiki asking for WiiBrew to support this app. Either way, one of the wiki sysops will engage in a discussion with you.

jbc007
Edit: By the way, on the USB 2.0 cIOS section of the MPlayer CE page, there is a link to an old version of a trucha bug enabling application. If no one minds that link is there, I see no reason that the program should be forbidden anywhere else. WiiBrew has more commonly used programs than the USB 2.0 cIOS that require the trucha bug.
It's a community run wiki with hundreds and hundreds of edits made every day. A few of them are bound to slip past the watchful eyes of our sysops. If you see a violation in WiiBrew policy somewhere on the wiki, you should correct it.

WaxyPumpkin72
Arikado
WaxyPumpkin72
Arikado
Yes, but if you have no trucha IOS, you can't get one. Does that make sense?
I stick to my first response. "So? ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 10:14PM by Arikado.
November 25, 2009 10:23PM
Arikado
I stick to my first response. "So?..."
So, you can't use the apps supported by wiibrew that need a trucha bugged IOS. :P
November 25, 2009 10:25PM
The most common way I know of restoring trucha bug is indeed legal. There is an older, now outdated way of doing it which is illegal (or almost always illegal, it may be possible legal), but the current most popular way of restoring trucha bug is legal.

EDIT: And Arikado: In response to your "So...?" - dop-IOS MOD is no use to those who have updated Wiis with no trucha bug and who want to use apps like preloader and StartPatch. Not knocking dop-IOS MOD, its a brilliant app, but I'm just saying, for those with "virgin" wiis, its no use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2009 10:26PM by SifJar.
November 25, 2009 10:28PM
SifJar
The most common way I know of restoring trucha bug is indeed legal. There is an older, now outdated way of doing it which is illegal (or almost always illegal, it may be possible legal), but the current most popular way of restoring trucha bug is legal.
The generalizations are getting us nowhere - now I'm lost :-P. All I can say to everyone is this: If its not supported by WiiBrew, it wont be supported on the forums. If it is indeed legal, then get it to be supported by WiiBrew (ie: Get it on the wiki). I've described to jbc007 above how to do so.
November 25, 2009 10:35PM
Arikado
jbc007
Arikado
The most common way I know of is not.
Are you refering to the one on the MPlayer CE page? If so, what is illegal about it?

Arikado
jbc007
Arikado
Start a discussion on #wiidev on EFNET or one the main talk page of the WiiBrew wiki asking for WiiBrew to support this app. Either way, one of the wiki sysops will engage in a discussion with you.
Thanks, if I am able to verify that the program is legal I will do that.

Arikado
jbc007
It's a community run wiki with hundreds and hundreds of edits made every day. A few of them are bound to slip past the watchful eyes of our sysops. If you see a violation in WiiBrew policy somewhere on the wiki, you should correct it.
At first, I thought that it might have been a mistake, but I was not sure. Anyway, that link has been there for a while, I assumed that if it was there for that long then it really was intended to be there.
November 25, 2009 10:41PM
The program on the mPlayer CE page is legal, and I added a section to the Talk:Main Page page of the wiki. Add noise there if you want (not too much though, dont wanna give SysOps a headache =P)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.