Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What IOS and what wii versions?

Posted by profetylen 
What IOS and what wii versions?
March 19, 2009 11:28PM
What IOSes and wii versions should you have to run homebrew and other games correctly.

And what should I use to prevent my games for updating my wii?
Starfall?
GeckoOS?

Which are the advandages of which of the previous apps?

And most important of all: Is it safe to install all of those IOSes and stuff? Are there any guides with idiot-safe instructions? How big are the risks that I actually brick my wii? Is it saveable by savemii in any case of bricking?

Is it something more I should have to run homebrew and normal games correctly?

Hope I did post this in the right place... maybe it should be amoung the "Getting Started" stuff. Sorry if that's the case.
Re: What IOS and what wii versions?
March 20, 2009 04:12AM
profetylen
What IOSes and wii versions should you have to run homebrew and other games correctly.

Starfall?
GeckoOS?

And most important of all: Is it safe to install all of those IOSes and stuff? Are there any guides with idiot-safe instructions? How big are the risks that I actually brick my wii? Is it saveable by savemii in any case of bricking?

Hope I did post this in the right place... maybe it should be amoung the "Getting Started" stuff. Sorry if that's the case.

ok, starfall, creates temp system hacks. nothing more...... unless you do a hard ystem resest. nothing more. gecko os... same, but with a cheat engine like actione replay.

i believe that the answer(s) you arer looking for. please ask for more help, if not answered, at with wiibrew help on efnet on irc.

sorry for the shortness.
March 20, 2009 02:21PM
cl87
profetylen

Starfall?
GeckoOS?

ok, starfall, creates temp system hacks. nothing more...... unless you do a hard ystem resest. nothing more. gecko os... same, but with a cheat engine like actione replay.

i believe that the answer(s) you arer looking for. please ask for more help, if not answered, at with wiibrew help on efnet on irc.

sorry for the shortness.

no, starfall is more permanent..it survives a hard reset..

the best protection is preloader! what ever you do to your system, you can boot into preloader and then load HBC...
March 20, 2009 02:32PM
profetylen
You could technically be on 3.4 with all the latest IOSs and 85% of homebrew will still work fine. Of course, you probably dont want to do that. The best Wii version is 3.2 and its reccomended that you only install IOSs when you need them. Newer games (madworld, sonic and the black night) require certain IOSs for them to be used. Google around to find what you need.

profetylen
Starfall?
GeckoOS?
I'm gonna say Gecko OS on this one, but its really up to you.

profetylen
For better or worse, starfall is more permanant. But Gecko OS does more stuff and is less permanant (safer). Also, Gecko OS reboot with hooks appears to be permanant until you physically unplug your Wii.

profetylen
Generally safe to install. Dangerous to uninstall. Uninstalling IOSs will generally lead to full bricks. I dont know of any guides to help you, sorry. There are always risks when goofing around with IOSs. Savemii(frii) will only save you from semi bricks, not full bricks. I think all IOS bricks are full bricks.

profetylen
Cant think of anything off hand. Only install IOSs if your normal games require them.

profetylen
99% of the getting started topics are posted by people who cant even unzip files or figure out what the root of their SD card is. So Homebrew General is fine for a more advanced hacking help topic. Thats what its here for afterall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2009 02:35PM by Arikado.
March 21, 2009 06:55PM
Okay! Thanks alot everyone and especially Arikado for bringing precise answers to all of my questions!

I do have two more questions thou:

What is exactly an IOS. I mean what does it do?

For what reason would I like to uninstall an IOS?
March 21, 2009 07:53PM
profetylen
What is exactly an IOS. I mean what does it do?
This is going to sound like a copout answer, but you should read our wiki if you're truly interested. Start here: [www.wiibrew.org]

profetlyn
For what reason would I like to uninstall an IOS?
There really is no reason. Installing IOSs will generally just overwrite existing ones. Some people uninstall them because they think it will help them do something for some reason. That is never the case and they always end up bricking their Wiis because of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2009 09:02PM by Arikado.
March 22, 2009 01:12PM
Okay! Thanks again for 2 great answers, Arikado! :D
March 22, 2009 01:44PM
No problem, please ask if you have anymore questions.
March 22, 2009 06:12PM
Which version of IOS30 should one have? Preloader and Starfall both won't make my Wii region free. Thinking maybe I have the wrong IOS30, even though I'm running system menu 3.2U
March 22, 2009 06:22PM
An earlier version of IOS 30 wouldnt be called IOS 30. It would be called something like IOS 28. I dont believe IOS 30 is actually the problem, I believe its your system menu. Thus, you'd need to install a lower version of the system menu. If you've downgraded in the past, you'll experience this problem because said downgrader doesnt work like it claims too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 06:22PM by Arikado.
March 22, 2009 06:37PM
Dang, Yeah I downgraded from 3.3 to 3.2U. Does give a couple errors during the process, which I can't remember off hand, ES_Identify is one of them. Just sucks having to go through GeckoOs all the time.
March 22, 2009 06:55PM
Jigen
Dang, Yeah I downgraded from 3.3 to 3.2U. Does give a couple errors during the process, which I can't remember off hand, ES_Identify is one of them. Just sucks having to go through GeckoOs all the time.

if you are on 3.2, then you can use gecko and reboot with hooks allowing region free from the main channel.
March 22, 2009 07:34PM
DrLucky
Jigen

if you are on 3.2, then you can use gecko and reboot with hooks allowing region free from the main channel.
Reboot with hooks doesnt work with downgraded firmware. Unfortunately, I can testify to that.
March 22, 2009 07:46PM
Arikado
DrLucky
Jigen

Reboot with hooks doesnt work with downgraded firmware. Unfortunately, I can testify to that.

Reboot with hooks was working with me before with downgraded firmware. Currently it causes a core dump, but I've been playing around too much and need to reinstall 3.2U. Even with reboot with hooks working, it doesn't remember the changes after a turning the Wii off.
March 22, 2009 08:15PM
My reboot with hooks also code dumps, I had 3.1 and upgraded to 3.2
March 26, 2009 03:28AM
Jigen
Which version of IOS30 should one have? Preloader and Starfall both won't make my Wii region free. Thinking maybe I have the wrong IOS30, even though I'm running system menu 3.2U

how are you region free without either?
March 27, 2009 10:43AM
Can there be several version of an IOS?

If that's the case, what happens if I install the wrong one?

How do i know which IOS i need in order to play a specific game and how do I get them?

Are they initially in the discs? How do I install them?
March 27, 2009 09:06PM
profetylen
Can there be several version of an IOS?
Yes, the IOS can be updated.

profetylen
If that's the case, what happens if I install the wrong one?
You can never install the wrong IOS over an existing one. Each IOS is mapped to a specific memory address. The worst "wrong" thing you can do is maybe install an older version of an IOS over a newer one.

profetylen
How do i know which IOS i need in order to play a specific game and how do I get them?
Google

profetylen
Are they initially in the discs? How do I install them?
Yes. You'll need to get a WAD of them and google for an app that will let you install WADs.
March 28, 2009 03:54PM
Okay!

Thanks again for quick and incradibly good answers, Arikado! :D :D
March 28, 2009 04:09PM
It was my pleasure. :D Please ask if you have anymore questions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login