Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reading USB signals(?)

Posted by iSubaru 
Reading USB signals(?)
November 03, 2010 08:57AM
Hello there
I just bumbed into crazy idea of connecting diffrent things to Wii USB...but there is that thing, how to check if there is any reading? Can some application read if anything from input goes to Wii? It would be good to read those signals more precisely but for now if there is some check if any read is done

Thank You for advance

iSubaru
Re: Reading USB signals(?)
November 03, 2010 05:44PM
iSubaru
Hello there
I just bumbed into crazy idea of connecting diffrent things to Wii USB...but there is that thing, how to check if there is any reading? Can some application read if anything from input goes to Wii? It would be good to read those signals more precisely but for now if there is some check if any read is done

Thank You for advance

iSubaru

1) The wii USB port can't read many things, basicly only a USB flash drive itself and the charger.
2) There are many programs to read input from the USB drive, such as HBC.
3) Check the examples for USB support so maybe you could code something to read input.
4) You could also have a look at WiiXplorer's source to see where it reads the USB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 07:16PM by LaserFlash.
November 03, 2010 06:38PM
LaserFlash
1) The wii USB can't read many things, basicly only a USB itself and the charger.

This makes NO sense. For a start "Wii USB" should be "Wii USB port", I assume. And what do you mean it can read "a USB"? A USB is not a device. It is a type of connection. If you mean a USB flash drive/hard drive, then you are wrong. Any USB device will work in the Wii if you write software to interface with it. It is a standard USB port.
November 03, 2010 07:22PM
SifJar
LaserFlash
1) The wii USB can't read many things, basicly only a USB itself and the charger.

Any USB device will work in the Wii if you write software to interface with it. It is a standard USB port.

I mean the HBC & WiiXplorer can only read a USB Flash Drive. If you go back to the question, he said nothing about writing software for the wii USB port, he asked to check for input which means that that statement you made was completely wrong.
November 03, 2010 07:42PM
He didn't say anything about WiiXplorer or HBC. Just if it were possible. Regardless, your statement would still be inaccurate, as you claimed that the port can't read any other device, which is simply untrue.
November 03, 2010 08:08PM
SifJar
He didn't say anything about WiiXplorer or HBC. Just if it were possible. Regardless, your statement would still be inaccurate, as you claimed that the port can't read any other device, which is simply untrue.

1) In this case he is meaning the USB port, so I don't see what you mean.
2) WiiXplorer & HBC were just examples so he could find out how to view input for the USB.
3) Your statement is wrong too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 08:16PM by LaserFlash.
November 03, 2010 08:23PM
LaserFlash
SifJar

2) WiiXplorer & HBC were just examples so he could find out how to view input for the USB.

1) Which is what I said
2) No, they're examples of applications which can read USB storage devices, one specific type of USB device
3) No it isn't.
November 03, 2010 08:53PM
SifJar
LaserFlash
SifJar

1) Which is what I said
2) No, they're examples of applications which can read USB storage devices, one specific type of USB device
3) No it isn't.

1) It has nothing to do with what you said whatsoever, you said that I said that the port can't read any other device, If you look closely I said Basically, which according to the Oxford English Dictionary:
Oxford English Dictionary
You use basically to show that you are describing a situation in a simple, general way, and that you are not concerned with less important details.

2) My statement is still correct as a one USB device would still help his coding.

3) Yes it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 09:00PM by LaserFlash.
November 03, 2010 09:02PM
Look, I'm not going to keep arguing with you. If you will notice, I am a moderator, it is not wise to argue with me. You said the Wii's USB port could not read many things, this is inaccurate, it can use any standard USB1.1 or 2.0 device (hardware is there).

And my statement is not incorrect. I don't even know what statement you're referring to. I'd like to know what statement you are talking about, and how you feel it is incorrect. Please PM me this, as there is no need to continue using this public thread for this discussion.
November 03, 2010 09:05PM
SifJar
Look, I'm not going to keep arguing with you. If you will notice, I am a moderator, it is not wise to argue with me. You said the Wii's USB port could not read many things, this is inaccurate, it can use any standard USB1.1 or 2.0 device (hardware is there).

And my statement is not incorrect. I don't even know what statement you're referring to. I'd like to know what statement you are talking about, and how you feel it is incorrect. Please PM me this, as there is no need to continue using this public thread for this discussion.

I agree, this is in no way helping the asker, feel free to delete any of these posts. BTW I don't want to continue this in a Private Message argument.
November 03, 2010 11:07PM
Uhm s-sorry, I didn't mean to start a war there T_T
To be more exact I'm trying to read signals from music instrument...synth in that case as experiment "IF"
Wii has DSP, can probably translate by software MIDI instructions so probably in clear theory there is a way and a ray of hope ^_^

Once again sorry for that war
November 03, 2010 11:10PM
iSubaru
Uhm s-sorry, I didn't mean to start a war there T_T
To be more exact I'm trying to read signals from music instrument...synth in that case as experiment "IF"
Wii has DSP, can probably translate by software MIDI instructions so probably in clear theory there is a way and a ray of hope ^_^

Once again sorry for that war

Don't worry you didn't start the war, you asked for some help, and from what I gathered somebody jumped in without fully knowing what they were talking about then arguing with a mod about it. Like Sifjar said if the program is written then a usb device can work on the wii, there is keyboards that work.
November 03, 2010 11:20PM
Theoretically, it is possible. But my guess is that its probably fairly niche user base for such an application (people who want to use USB MIDI musical instruments on their Wii), so it may be hard to persuade a developer to create such a program, and I think you'd need to do some fairly low level programming to get it working (i.e. hard programming), and you'd need to know a lot about the USB interface of the instruments. If you happen to be experienced with that stuff, you could maybe make it yourself, but I'm gonna make the, perhaps a little rash, assumption that you probably don't.

And don't worry about the little argument there, just a little misunderstanding, in no way your fault.
November 03, 2010 11:30PM
Thank You very much
There is another way - I think - to detour some work, it's to find a program that can on PC read such signals and has open source code (not mentioning as easy build as possible) then trying to port it to Wii or at least some parts of it, so we will have readings correct, then just to translate them in some way...
Why I feel it will be a lot of work...mwahahaha ^_^
November 04, 2010 02:09AM
iSubaru
Thank You very much
There is another way - I think - to detour some work, it's to find a program that can on PC read such signals and has open source code (not mentioning as easy build as possible) then trying to port it to Wii or at least some parts of it, so we will have readings correct, then just to translate them in some way...
Thats not going to work. You would need to write code the is specific to the wii. This kind of code cannot be ported. sorry
November 04, 2010 04:44PM
iSubaru
Thank You very much

Well you could try but I wouldn't recommend it. It wouldn't really be a port because the wii works very differently to a PC and it would be more like re-writing the program.

BTW: The argument wasn't your fault it was just a slight misunderstanding, if anybody is responsible it would be me & SifJar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 04:46PM by LaserFlash.
November 05, 2010 12:09PM
If you have a basic understanding of how USB works (the four basic protocols, descriptor layouts etc.) it's not really hard to look at any linux usb device driver and make it work on the wii. For example before I had a gecko I used a USB2Serial cable to get diagnostic output from the wii onto my computer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login