Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Downgrading from Wii 4.0

Posted by SomeGuy 
Downgrading from Wii 4.0
April 14, 2009 03:51PM
I tried to use the Gecko OS Rebooter this morning and was surprised to find it didn't work. Further analysis of the situation revealed that at some point my Wii updated to version 4.0. I don't whether I did this or someone else (I know I didn't give the Wii permission to update itself, in any event), and was hoping that someone would have some idea as to how I can remedy this.

Downgrading was the first thing to occur to me, but I don't know if that's possible yet in 4.0. The other thing is that there's really only one thing I want- the cheat to disable the Masterpiece Time Limit in Smash Brothers Brawl, which for some reason only works with the Rebooter function, which won't work on any Wii higher than 3.3.

If anyone can offer any help on this topic I'd be much obliged.
Re: Downgrading from Wii 4.0
April 14, 2009 04:23PM
I'm pretty sure there's a way to downgrade, though it has to do with Waninko or whatever his name is. Wouldn't use his downgrader though. I remember seeing a thread here on how to downgrade but I can't find it now! Grrr. I'll post it when I find it.

Go here to read how to downgrade 4.0. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 04:27PM by Bomber.
April 16, 2009 07:01AM
Anyone know if i connect a wii-key2 (modchip) to my wii (system menu 4 without hbc) can I downgrade it to 3.3 again?

Then remove the wii-key2.

Would this work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 07:03AM by Darksome.
April 16, 2009 10:26AM
Hey bomber i'm confused.
the only reason you would wan't to downgrade from 4.0 is to install HBC but you have to have HBC installed to do the downgrade so what is the point of downgrading if you already have HBC installed on the system.and is there a way to do it wthout having HBC?
April 16, 2009 01:36PM
atomixx
Hey bomber i'm confused.
the only reason you would wan't to downgrade from 4.0 is to install HBC but you have to have HBC installed to do the downgrade so what is the point of downgrading if you already have HBC installed on the system.and is there a way to do it wthout having HBC?

I know you were asking Bomber, however typical reason is that some programs won't work on 4.0. This is especially true if you upgraded through Nintendo, which should typically be avoided. "Safe" updates get posted on the internet soon after the official ones are released by Nintendo. If someone had upgraded incorrectly they could downgrade to 3.2 or 3.4 and do it over, however as Bomber said this requires HBC to already be installed. The rest of us will have to wait for a new exploit to load HBC. That's the boat I'm in too.
April 17, 2009 04:51PM
I downgraded first to 3.3, then to 3.2, but the rebooter still won't work. I'm beginning to think the issue is with the rebooter rather than the system settings. Why won't the rebooter work in later versions of the Wii? Why does it persist in not working even when I have already downgraded?
April 17, 2009 09:48PM
Update. I am now at a bit of a loss of what to do. I found out that Gecko OS 1.8 is out, so I tried using that, and no dice. The kicker is that 1.8 is supposed to be compatible not just with old Wii system versions, but the newest ones, too. Which means that I have absolutely no idea why I can't get the rebooter to work.

I've had no luck searching on a cause for this problem since the vast majority of the time, when someone can't reboot it's because their wii version is too new, but now that isn't even an issue anymore, so I just don't know what to make of anything. What causes are there for Gecko OS to get the "error loading menu" problem after first trying to reboot with hooks? I can get the same screen if I try to reboot with no hooks at all, but this just begs more questions. Like, what exactly happened to my hooks that all of a sudden they're unusable? For that matter, what is a hook, anyway?

What really adds insult to injury is that the video displaying the new Gecko OS demonstrates the exact same cheat that I'm trying to use. So I really have absolutely no idea why my rebooter won't work anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 09:49PM by SomeGuy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login