Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Revisiting Stepmania Wii...

Posted by borbzz 
Revisiting Stepmania Wii...
April 24, 2009 06:44PM
Hello everyone,

I'm a longtime follower of the Wii homebrew scene, but a first time participant. I've decided to take up porting StepMania to the Wii, and I have made some good progress in the initial investigation. You can see a breakdown of my milestones here:
[wiibrew.org]

I'm a professional C/C++ programmer by day, but I'm new to Wii homebrew development. Looks like I'll need to learn how to use GX and all the other Wii libraries. I just wanted to introduce myself, and see if any other homebrew devs have any advice for porting a relatively large SDL/OpenGL program to the Wii.

-borbzz
Re: Revisiting Stepmania Wii...
April 24, 2009 06:49PM
Welcome to the homebrew scene! :) :)

Its great to finally see a new dev instead of a new n00b.

I wish I had some good tips for you, but the best thing I can reccomend is looking at my WiiBreaker source for an example of using the balance board.

Best of luck,
Arikado

PS: Feel free to ask me any questions you ever have at any time. Even if I can't give you a definitive answer, hopefully I can at least hook you up with someone who can.
April 24, 2009 11:45PM
Uh your page got deleted...

Anyways I hope you are able to finish this, I would love to see a stepmania port for the Wii ^^
April 25, 2009 12:32AM
I would also love to see a port of stepmania game!!!

If it won't use the same SIM files i would love to help making stepcharts for it! :D
April 26, 2009 03:19AM
Page was moved here:

[wiibrew.org]
April 27, 2009 10:03PM
tissemikkel
If it won't use the same SIM files i would love to help making stepcharts for it! :D

Thanks for the enthusiasm! I'm hoping my port will be compatible with most songs/charts in Stepmania format. If I can't get libvorbis ported to the Wii, then we might be limited to only those StepMania songs in MP3 format.
April 27, 2009 10:17PM
borbzz
tissemikkel

Thanks for the enthusiasm! I'm hoping my port will be compatible with most songs/charts in Stepmania format. If I can't get libvorbis ported to the Wii, then we might be limited to only those StepMania songs in MP3 format.

They only use MP3 files now, so that would not be a problem! :D
April 29, 2009 08:45PM
I absolutely support this project. I don't know what route you are taking but using the iosusb library would probably help if you have support for USB dance pads.
April 30, 2009 06:23AM
This would be incredible if it had support for multiple kinds of dance pads. I have a PSX to USB adapter that works with dance pads; I'd probably start using it again with the release of a Wii version of StepMania.

Good luck, I hope this works out.
May 01, 2009 02:58AM
It would be cool if you made a mode where for up you shook either the numchuck or wiimote up, left jerk is left, etc.

Only problem with that there's no way to let the Wii know you're holding it like that (like if you held down the left button). And I imagine it would be a little buggy.
May 01, 2009 08:40AM
I think it's a good idea but i think we should focus on getting the pads working.
June 02, 2009 10:01PM
How far is we with this project?
June 03, 2009 02:58PM
tissemikkel
How far is we with this project?

Hey there, I'm currently hunting down and fixing a few crashes, and starting the graphics. I'll update the Wiibrew wiki page as soon as I can make an accurate estimate for when it will be finished.

Once I tidy up the code, I was going to release it in a public SVN on Google Code so that others might be able to work on it to and get it up and running faster.
June 06, 2009 04:18PM
I would really like to help you with testing and coding the application!
June 10, 2009 01:09AM

Hey there, I'm currently hunting down and fixing a few crashes, and starting the graphics. I'll update the Wiibrew wiki page as soon as I can make an accurate estimate for when it will be finished.

Once I tidy up the code, I was going to release it in a public SVN on Google Code so that others might be able to work on it to and get it up and running faster.

great news thanks for the update
July 04, 2009 02:14PM
Can we get a new update about the progress? :)
July 21, 2009 07:00PM
DELTA
It would be cool if you made a mode where for up you shook either the numchuck or wiimote up, left jerk is left, etc.

Only problem with that there's no way to let the Wii know you're holding it like that (like if you held down the left button). And I imagine it would be a little buggy.

Actually that would totally suck.

I got DDR hottest party for wii and it did that. Very stupid gimmicky idea you have to turn off the hand movements each time you turn on the game. The game was one of the worst DDR games ever and thats why i didn't bother to get the second one.

Thats why I'm really rooting for you Borbzz. if your working on graphics does that mean your 4th milestone is done?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 07:03PM by blackbrawler.
October 18, 2009 04:38AM
I'm just itching to get StepMania running on homebrew. I can't promise anything, but I'm hoping to start working on it here and there within the next few weeks, and I'm trying to get a feel for where you left off and whether you have anything to release for public development.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login