Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emulator 'button mapping'

Posted by cr08 
Emulator 'button mapping'
September 12, 2008 12:27AM
This one annoyance has been a little thorn in my side for quite some time now and I figured I'd ponder this here.

Many homebrew apps and emulators so far for the Wii have limited themselves to using either a Gamecube controller or the Classic controller for whatever reason, even if the overall control list for said app is feasible on just the Wiimote or Wiimote+nunchuk.

Actually looking at the source code for a few apps in the control section, it appears fairly trivial to offer support for pretty much all the currently available controllers for the Wii and just as trivial from a theorhetical perspective to offer an in-app button mapping function (especially useful for emulators as an example). So why have so many devs taken the road of limiting their users so far?

The only thing I can see is that many of the original consoles being emulated have way too many controls to work on anything but the GC or Classic controllers. Of course we all know that not every game utilizes the same set of controls and often some buttons go unused or relatively useless by personal preference. My thought for this is per-game control setups.

Discuss, etc..
Re: Emulator 'button mapping'
September 12, 2008 01:41AM
what exactly are you talking about?
do you mean modding the (official) VC emulators to add customizable button mappings?
September 12, 2008 02:38AM
He means the emulators the you can download for HBC. THe genesis emulator is the only emulator (i have used either) that you can change mapping of buttons.
September 13, 2008 12:38AM
Yeah. At least that dev is thinking.

I have a LOT of old SNES games here I'd love to throw up on my Wii, but unfortunately I'm currently locked into needing a classic controller or gamecube controller. Same goes for N64 titles. Especially for the SNES, the wiimote alone has enough buttons for it save for the shoulder buttons (which, imho, were hardly ever used save for a few games here and there.).

And for the N64 side for example, you have a number of possibilities: Basic button mapping, button modifiers, reading of accelerometers in both the Wiimote and nunchuk as a possible button modifier (hold in one orientation, one button configuration. hold in another orientation, a totally different configuration.)
September 13, 2008 02:21AM
It does kinda bug me when games don't offer customizable button mapping, because it's really not that hard to do. Instead of if(Buttons & BUTTON_A), do if(Buttons & JumpButton). Then you just need to read the value of JumpButton from a config file. Simple.
September 13, 2008 07:41PM
I know that lopzt snes emulator have button mapping for the gamecube controller.
September 15, 2008 04:08AM
moronicron
I know that lopzt snes emulator have button mapping for the gamecube controller.

Unfortunately that does not account for the wiimote or any other available controller which is the really big beef I have.

Really, this is very trivial to add considering there are a number of libraries available to add wiimote and wiimote-attachment support (ie: guitar, classic controller, nunchuk, etc.)
September 16, 2008 02:59AM
cr08
Yeah. At least that dev is thinking.

I have a LOT of old SNES games here I'd love to throw up on my Wii, but unfortunately I'm currently locked into needing a classic controller or gamecube controller. Same goes for N64 titles. Especially for the SNES, the wiimote alone has enough buttons for it save for the shoulder buttons (which, imho, were hardly ever used save for a few games here and there.).

And for the N64 side for example, you have a number of possibilities: Basic button mapping, button modifiers, reading of accelerometers in both the Wiimote and nunchuk as a possible button modifier (hold in one orientation, one button configuration. hold in another orientation, a totally different configuration.)

What emulator are you using?
I use Snes9x GC and the emulation is great.
I use the GC wiimote and wiimote+nunchuck controllers and they all work fine.
September 16, 2008 04:42AM
Yeah. I just noticed the newest release of one of the many editions of Snes9x and this is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. Wide support for all the viable controllers, button mapping to whatever setup you desire, etc.. Just like it's big brother counterpart on the PC. Now if the other emulator coders could clue in on this...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login