Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged: I have nunchuk problems

Posted by Arikado 
Mega Merged: I have nunchuk problems
June 01, 2009 02:29PM
Alot of you are reporting strange nunchuk behavior when using homebrew on our forum. Lets keep all of the discussion here so that we can collect information to asses and then hopefully fix the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 02:36PM by Arikado.
Strange nunchuck behavior
May 26, 2009 02:42AM
Hi.

I'm having some trouble with certain apps that use the nunchuck, like quake, hellium boy, etc.
The nunchuck works fine on wii games, but when i run those apps, right=left and up=down!

Any help is appreciated! thanks.

oh, and I have a 3.2U wii if that helps.
Re: Strange nunchuck behavior
May 26, 2009 12:33PM
Try disconnecting and then reconnecting the nunchuk.
May 26, 2009 01:46PM
I have already tried that. My other nunchuck works just fine, so I suspect that it might be a hardware problem, but why does it work ok in wii games then?...strange.
May 26, 2009 05:22PM
Is this a third party nunchuk?
May 27, 2009 11:34PM
I have the same problem with my only nunchuk, the one that came with my Wii. Works correctly for Wii games, but in the Homebrew apps:
left=left
right=LEFT
up=DOWN
down=down

Anybody know what to do? Thanks for any help.
May 28, 2009 02:48AM
Looks like there might be a reason, why Nintendo chooses to calibrate anything (Nunchuck, Classic Controller, Gamecubepad) after every poweron/reconnection
May 29, 2009 01:09AM
So is there something we might be able to tweak in the Homebrew's settings for the nunchuk? In other words, can "NUNCHUK RIGHT" be manually set to go right instead of left for homebrew apps?

P.S. - Are there really only two people who have experienced this problem? Can I be that unlucky?
May 29, 2009 09:39PM
I've had this problem too. It's very annoying. Is there a fix?
May 29, 2009 11:19PM
Can you all please name exactly what apps you're having problems with?

Also, my app WiiBreaker's nunchuk implementation is extremely simple. I'm curious to know if anyone has nunchuk issues with it?
May 30, 2009 06:38AM
@Arikado:
[so far, every app that makes use of the nunchuk presents this problem.
For example: every emulator, quake, wiidoom, hellium boy, etc. Even your wiibreaker edit: works fine, because the only problem is in the joystick.]

I honestly have no clue at what's going on here, but it has to be the nunchuk itself, because the other one works ok, but then again, both work on wii games.

ps: I've just realized I've been spelling nunchuk incorrectly! did you plan on telling me someday? :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 06:42AM by Died2Well.
May 30, 2009 02:48PM
Wait, so my WiiBreaker works fine with your nunchuk?

ps: lol - I didn't notice :P
Nunchuk has issues with Homebrew
May 31, 2009 06:02PM
Hi guys, I just got HBC installed this weekend on a 4.0U, one of those wiis that froze at the scam screen in Hackmii installer 1. Anyhow, I've got it running good, except using the Nunchuk with any homebrew other than the browser causes whatever I'm doing to do the function of going down.

Here's an example. I downloaded Wiidoom, loaded up the wad(I'm pointing out that this isn't a backup, doom uses wad files for the levels), and start playing. When I get to where I can actually control and move, no matter what direction I push the Nunchuk, I go backwards. Same thing with Quake R1 and Quake. I thought it was a problem with the engine, but even helium boy refuses to move in any other direction than back.

I tested the Nunchuk with a couple other games(I only own Wii sports and Twilight princess), and it works fine there.

Can anyone help? I don't see any other problems like this on the wiki, so I figured I'd ask here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2009 06:03PM by nicatronTg.
Re: Nunchuk has issues with Homebrew
May 31, 2009 09:34PM
Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the nunchuk while in game? Also, is it an official one?
June 01, 2009 04:20AM
Did that just now, no luck. Still refuses to go foreward or to the sides. Yeah, it's the official one that came with my wii.
June 01, 2009 08:55AM
My nunchuk is the official one that came with the Wii, and it does the following:
left = left
right = LEFT
up = DOWN
down = down

In other words, it only goes left and down. Others have described the same behavior in the "Strange nunchuck behavior" thread. The strange part is that it works perfectly for Wii games, but consistently goes left and down for all Homebrew games (e.g. Quake, NES, SNES, etc.)

Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 08:58AM by drewmie.
June 01, 2009 10:56AM
May be a bug with libogc then... I'd think a dev would need one of those screwy nunchuks to have a hope of patching it, though =/
Curious, what happens when launching a game from Gecko OS?
Re: Mega Merged: I have nunchuk problems
June 01, 2009 02:35PM
It's time to seriously start figuring this out. Hopefully, the more data we collect, the more we can help devs to solve these issues.

If you're experiencing nunchuk issues (like those described above), please answer the following questions:

1)Please describe your problems as accurately and as in depth as possible.
2)Are you using a first or third party nunchuk?
4)Do you experience nunchuk issues using Wii games and other official wii software?
5)What version of the system menu are you running?
6)What version of the homebrew channel are you using?
7)Did you experience these issues on previous versions of the homebrew channel?
8)Specifically, what apps are giving you trouble?
9)Are there any apps that do not give your nunchuk problems?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 12:05AM by Arikado.
Re: Mega Merged: I have nunchuk problems
June 01, 2009 07:31PM
Have people tried having the nunchuk connected before loading the app?Also, try loading the app without having it in, wait till' you get in the game, and then try plugging it in. Just a suggestion, sorry if its dumb. :P
June 01, 2009 10:17PM
I have the same thing going on. I do not experience nunchuk issues when using official wii software. The system menu version is 4.0U - I'm not sure what version of the homebrew channel I'm using but I just installed it a few days ago using bannerbomb (alpha aad1f_v108) + Hackmii installer v0.2 so I am guessing it is the latest.

Nunchuck Issue on quake & helium boy:
left = left
right = left
forward (up) = backward (down)
backward (down) = backward (down)

I did try reconnecting the nunchuck while in game but that didn't help. I will try having it connected before powering on, before app start, after app start and other variations tonight and report back any results...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login