Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Storing your WiiWare/VC games

Posted by Bloodoflamb 
Storing your WiiWare/VC games
July 09, 2009 10:35PM
Hello. I just got into homebrewing. I was wondering if there was a way I could copy my WiiWare/VC games to an external hard drive and also run it from the hard drive? Or if there is a way to run them from the SD card? I know that the games can be stored on the SD card and executed from the SD card menu, but as far as I know, this process involves copying the game to main memory where games are normally stored and then deleting it upon closing the game. This would kill the functional life span of the memory, which is something that I'm looking to avoid. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Storing your WiiWare/VC games
July 09, 2009 10:38PM
No there is no way to run them from USB and no way to run them directly from SD. You can only use SD Menu to transfer them temporarily. Sorry.
July 10, 2009 08:43AM
SifJar
You can only use SD Menu to transfer them temporarily. Sorry.

To clarify, the WW/VC games are stored on the SD card, then temporarily moved back on the wii. The game is deleted from the internal memory after

didn't read

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 08:44AM by metroid_maniac.
July 10, 2009 02:35PM
I wouldn't strike through what you wrote Metroid, because it clarifies what SifJar wrote and meant.

Somebody who is new to this might missundestand it, and from an end-user perspective, the channels are run from SD.
July 10, 2009 03:37PM
Bloodoflamb
but as far as I know, this process involves copying the game to main memory where games are normally stored and then deleting it upon closing the game.
daniel_c_w
I wouldn't strike through what you wrote Metroid, because it clarifies what SifJar wrote and meant.

Somebody who is new to this might missundestand it, and from an end-user perspective, the channels are run from SD.

that's why I crossed it out :-)
July 11, 2009 12:00AM
I wouldn't be too worried about the lifespan of the internal memory. I design flash memory for a living. Modern flash lasts for over 100,000 writes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2009 12:01AM by raptir.
July 11, 2009 01:32AM
And I guess that is without wear-leveling, right?

So if you get more free space on the NAND, you can decrease the chance of failure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login