Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Having a problem after hombrew installation.

Posted by waymoby 
Having a problem after hombrew installation.
October 24, 2008 11:44PM
Something kind of serious happened to my Wii recently and I think it has to do with the homebrew that is on it. I installed everything I needed to successfully and it didn't brick or anything like that. Everything was working perfectly. I used the GeckoOS a few times to boot up Brawl with the Ocarina codes. I was using the move swap codes which occasionally freeze the game. The last time I did it though the game, the game froze because the characters weren't compatible as it had in before. I reset my Wii and I load the game up again, but this time I get a disc read error telling me to take the disc out and reset. So I try it again and i get the same error. The same thing happened a third fourth and fifth time. I then test out another Wii game by putting in Super Mario Galaxy. The same thing happened. My Wii can't play Wii games! The strange thing is that this is the only thing wrong with it. Everything else works fine. I can still use Homebrew applications, I can still play my VC games, I can access all the channels and settings, and I can still play Gamecube discs perfectly. Does anyone have a solution for this and maybe a reason why it happened so it doesn't happen again? I'd like my Wii to actually be able to play Wii games agian. I hope this is the right section for this too. Thanks.
Re: Having a problem after hombrew installation.
October 24, 2008 11:48PM
I'd love to say "Haha, that's what you get for cheating!" but I won't. When try to boot different games, make sure you're booting them without Ocarina codes enabled. Also try loading without GeckoOS (couldn't tell if you had tried or not from your post).
October 25, 2008 12:37AM
Maybe your save files are bugged (just a guess)
October 25, 2008 12:40AM
I was trying to boot without the loader. I was doing it normally form the Wii menu. Also i would barely call the move swap cheating. It makes the game harder to play.
October 25, 2008 12:41AM

I'd love to say "Haha, that's what you get for cheating!" but I won't.
lulz, my thoughts exactly.

Anyway, from what you describe, it's highly unlikely that homebrew played any part in this. Maybe it has more to do with the infamous disc read error due to Brawl being a dual-layer disc (ie, your laser lens needs cleaning)? SMG just being a fluke, or maybe you don't take care of your discs... Have you tried others?
October 25, 2008 12:54AM
AerialX

I'd love to say "Haha, that's what you get for cheating!" but I won't.
lulz, my thoughts exactly.

Anyway, from what you describe, it's highly unlikely that homebrew played any part in this. Maybe it has more to do with the infamous disc read error due to Brawl being a dual-layer disc (ie, your laser lens needs cleaning)? SMG just being a fluke, or maybe you don't take care of your discs... Have you tried others?

First off, sorry that I wanted to see the characters moves swapped which is clearly cheating because it defiantly helps you.

Anyways, i have tried other games and the same thing happens. i don't think it could be the laser because it went from 100% working to not working in one reset. And it still plays Gamecube games. My discs are fine too they aren't scratched.
October 25, 2008 12:57AM
waymoby
Also i would barely call the move swap cheating. It makes the game harder to play.
I'm just so anti-ocarina after all the online mario kart and brawl cheats.

Try more games, and tell us what happens. If you don't have the latest firmware, maybe updating would fix your problem (however, I wouldn't do that just yet because of all the fakesign drama right now).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 12:58AM by Arikado.
October 25, 2008 01:28AM
It was just really strange though that for like a week and a half my wii wouldnt play any wii games. But now by some odd miracle my Wii seems to be working again. MY games are being read by the system and I can play them without and reading errors. There's just this one part in Brawl where on the main menu the music stops playing and the load time gets longer. Maybe it is the laser that needs cleaning.
October 25, 2008 04:59AM
Yeah, sounds like something broke in the disc drive. I doubt any homebrew or cheats had anything to do with it. I'd just call Nintendo and tell them it was working fine, then when you went to play Brawl it was no longer able to read any discs. Cleaning the laser might help, but opening it will void the warranty, so if you still have that, just send it in. (Though I find it very unlikely that a dirty laser causes a sudden total failure, and consistent read problems at the same place in the game every time.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 05:00AM by HyperHacker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login