Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread

Posted by bushing 
Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread
October 29, 2008 11:09AM
WORDS GO HERE. do not create new threads about this subject.
Latest Wii Update 10/23/08
October 23, 2008 12:17PM
Just got a Wii mail, there's a new update that once again says about removing modded saves (aka twilight hack)
Anyone gonna see what else it might remove?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 06:18PM by tona.
Re: New Nintendo update out today (pal)
October 23, 2008 12:26PM
Looks like we got it over here for NTSC too. Dunno what else it might do..
October 23, 2008 01:11PM
It also seems to update the Nintendo Channel

Some people report, that it does not increasee the version number (still 3.3.)
October 23, 2008 01:31PM
Warning!
It will disable the functionality of installing wad's etc. So if you've no e.g. HBC installed, you can't use homebrew, except with the unwieldy Twilight Hack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 01:32PM by Dykam.
October 23, 2008 01:47PM
Doesn't it remove the Twilight hack?

I'm going crazy waiting for more news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 02:17PM by cuber.
October 23, 2008 03:34PM
Fail.

Here's the scoop:

Nintendo updated just about every IOS on the Wii. They did NOT update the System Menu or IOS30, though. Meaning the Twilight Hack still definitely works. The Homebrew Channel still boots and functions correctly if you already have it installed.

However, the main issue is that they've patched Fakesigning in every IOS your Wii will normally have on it. This means you can no longer easily install unofficial content, like the Homebrew Channel or unofficial WADs.

So: Homebrew still works, but the HBC installer isn't going to work until a workaround is found.

Here's a full log of the update:
[wii.marcansoft.com]

There's a LOT of new stuff, including a new IOS51, so we're going to have our arms full sorting through everything.

Edit: Edited my post to remove some ambiguity, clarify, keep people from getting wrong ideas (thanks bushing)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 01:32AM by tona.
Re: New Nintendo update out today.
October 23, 2008 04:18PM
does anybody know, what benefits the update brings?
October 23, 2008 05:39PM
Wait, so now we can't install the HBC or illegally install wads? If yes, what does it do to the HBC and illegal wads already installed?

EDIT: Found my own answers: you can no longer install the HBC or illegal wads via Waninko's wad manager. It does nothing to the wads/HBC if it is already installed.

EDIT 2:Forgive my lack of understanding, but I just went through the IOS posted above. Is this some sort of reference to the HBC?:

Channel 'HABA'
 Title ID: 00010002-48414241
 Version: 0x   d
 Size: 25559040
 Contents: 18 (of which 11 are shared)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 06:02PM by Arikado.
October 23, 2008 06:10PM
"HABA" is the shop channel. We're not sure what's been updated. Rampant speculation is likely to ensue. It's not going to affect anything else.

This update brings NO BENEFITS as far as we can tell. Just IOS patches.
October 23, 2008 06:16PM
tona
Nintendo updated just about every IOS on the Wii. They did NOT update the System Menu or IOS30, though. Meaning the Twilight Hack still definitely works. The Homebrew Channel still boots and functions correctly if you already have it installed.

Just a nit -- they updated IOS30/IOS31 with 3.3 to fix the strncmp bug, so they didn't need to re-update them.

So: Homebrew still works, but the HBC is going to need an update.

Yes, but only to install it on systems that have updated without installing HBC first. Existing installations are unaffected, and we'll see about updates to the HBC.

Anyone who ignored my advice before 3.3 to stop updating entirely deserves what they get; the fact that we were able to keep the Twilight Hack working on 3.3 was pure luck, and I doubt it will happen again.
October 23, 2008 06:18PM
Apparently, it doesn't let you access the shop channel unless you have it :(
Re: Latest Wii Update 10/23/08
October 23, 2008 07:37PM
give it some time:
either we can update the shop channel only (assuming it does not check its environment)
or team tweezers will develope patches for the current update.
(or waninoko will)

just be patient.

I won't be able to purchase Tetris Party now, unfortunately :D
October 23, 2008 08:08PM
Also the user agent for the Wii Shop Channel appears to have been changed, I haven't been able to figure out the new one.

Was used to access it from PC, as in here:
[wiibrew.org]

Old one was "Opera/9.30 (Nintendo Wii; U; ; 2047-7; Wii Shop Channel/1.1; en)"

I figure it's using the same Opera and the 2047-7 number has changed, maybe 1.1 to 1.2 as well.
October 23, 2008 08:56PM
Muzer
Apparently, it doesn't let you access the shop channel unless you have it :(

Doesn't this seem backwards?
You can choose between running free hombrew games and apps, or going to the shop and buying Nintendo approved ones... When, to be honest, I haven't seen a WiiWare game I'd even fancy playing
October 23, 2008 09:07PM
I don't support piracy, but if you really want something from the shop channel, just use the wad manager. Then buy it when a workaround is announced for the update.

Speaking of which do we really need fakesigned code (which was what got blocked, right?) to install channels? Can't we just install them the way the Wii does when you purchase a game from the shop channel?

Also, does this update hurt SaveMii?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 09:08PM by Arikado.
October 23, 2008 09:08PM
I know that maybe this is kind of a "prohibited talk" over Wiibrew... But that is: Nintendo finally did something concrete about Wii piracy. Now WAD installers and backup loaders are out of the business. I don't think this is really BAD, looks like usual homebrew are not affected.

Anyway, I thanks that my router brokes and my Wii is not connected to internet. :P

Now, just to ask: and DVDX stub? Is working? Or it's not affected by IOS?

EDIT @ Arikado

Fakesigning is needed for "tricking" the Wii, making it believe the channel as legit. They use annoying encryption keys, that stuff, installing channels with Shop Channel or homebrew installers is essentially the same thing, but installers use the bug on the encryption method.

EDIT 2: Did I say bullshit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 09:14PM by DanielHueho.
October 23, 2008 10:39PM
Wouldn't the best fastest course of action to take is to install a cIOS with fake signing fix removed then update to keep all the homebrew functionality intact by having all disadvantage howebrew software call it? At least until a proper workaround is found...
October 23, 2008 10:48PM
/\
/\
/\
cIOS doesn't replace official IOS. To use their benefits, homebrew must be write specially for the cIOS. So remaking all homebrew doesn't looks a good idea. And overwriting the existing IOS is dangerous.

EDIT: Oh, now I got ya what you means. Still not a very good idea, because what I said above. Besides, so far this affect only unofficial WAD install. It is better to found a permanent (or even a temporary) solution for who doesn't have homebrew enabled on Wii than making a workaround for who has homebrew enabled to just keep installing custom banners or backup channels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 10:57PM by DanielHueho.
October 23, 2008 10:55PM
I still want to know if SaveMii is affected by this update. Also, is the DVD Stub affected? Thanks Daniel_Huebo for your explanation of fakesigning.

Ideas to fix this:

Could BootMii perhaps use new boot routines to install channels? Custom firmware anyone? Tricking the shop channel into thinking the Wii has the latest firmware? Unsigned code (or is that another name for fakesigned code?) installation methods? Using the Opera browser to put files on to the Wii?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 10:56PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login