Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: Latest Wii Update 10/23/08
October 24, 2008 08:53AM
tona
Arikado
EDIT: LIGHTBULB!!! Couldn't we dump the code of Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit to see how they install their respective channels without using fakesigned code?

Epic fail.

RSA 101 (Or read this)

RSA encryption is done with key pairs. One key is used to encrypt data, and one key is used to decrypt it.

The encryption key is also called a "private key," because you want to keep this private. The decryption key is a "public key," and you give this out to whoever needs to read data from you.

So, Nintendo has a "private key" that they use to encrypt/sign various data.

Your Wii has a "public key" (known as the "common key"), which it uses to decrypt this data, and in the process, ensure that it is made from Nintendo's private key--as key pairs are unique.

So, unless Nintendo fails really really hard, or someone plays epic social engineer, we'll never see the private key.

It's not like the Wii only has one bug, though. Chillax, have a couple of beers, play Xbox for a while. I hear you can get them cheaper than Wiis now.

Haven't you got that the wrong way around. The Private key is the decryption key, and the Public key is the encryption key.
wikipedia
An analogy for public-key encryption is that of a locked mailbox with a mail slot. The mail slot is exposed and accessible to the public; its location (the street address) is in essence the public key. Anyone knowing the street address can go to the door and drop a written message through the slot; however, only the person who possesses the key can open the mailbox and read the message

Therefore Nintendo must use the Public key to encrypt content, and the Wii must have the Private key.
October 24, 2008 09:15AM
whodares
Haven't you got that the wrong way around. The Private key is the decryption key, and the Public key is the encryption key.
wikipedia
An analogy for public-key encryption is that of a locked mailbox with a mail slot. The mail slot is exposed and accessible to the public; its location (the street address) is in essence the public key. Anyone knowing the street address can go to the door and drop a written message through the slot; however, only the person who possesses the key can open the mailbox and read the message

Therefore Nintendo must use the Public key to encrypt content, and the Wii must have the Private key.
That's for two way communication. You can do it both ways. The "Public" key is the one distrubted/shared/made public. The "Private" key is whichever one is kept secret.

If you want people to be able to send you emails securely, you put out a public encryption key. If you want to be able to ensure others that they are getting messages securely from you, you put out a public decryption key.
October 24, 2008 10:44AM
Spoom
II've been told by good sources that there is no such thing as automatic system update on the Wii (other than through game discs, and there are almost certainly no discs with this update on them yet).

Gamediscs do not perform an automatic update either.

Without user interaction there is no update.
October 24, 2008 12:16PM
tona
If you want people to be able to send you emails securely, you put out a public encryption key. If you want to be able to ensure others that they are getting messages securely from you, you put out a public decryption key.

Good call, I don't know what I was thinking... Probably because I associate this type of encryption with PGP, but yeah, nothing to stop you doing it the other way around.

I really need to catch up on my sleep this weekend ;-)
October 24, 2008 02:16PM
Am I still able to delete the wads even if I can't install them anymore (after installing firmware 3.4)? I'd really love to play Tetris Party and I believe that I am perfectly happy with "only" HBC and DVD-support.

Is it possible that you couldn't do anything for the situation and that Nintendo would give out a new update which would brick homebrew-Wiis even if the recent one doesn't? "Gotcha, now that you've installed 3.4 and there's no way downgrading it we'll brick your Wii if you install the newest firmware 3.5 that you need to play the newest games." (And even if they wouldn't brick Wii but just uninstall HBC and such.)

Btw, I created an account on the forum before I figured out that the Wiki and the forum use the same accounts so please, feel free to ban/delete the new account from this very same IP if you like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 02:47PM by Tube.
October 24, 2008 03:01PM
For the sake of humanity, someone please, please, add this link to the first post: [wiibrew.org]
October 24, 2008 03:25PM
the hackers ahead has a plans for one wad installer or HBC beta9?
October 24, 2008 04:06PM
missigno00
Hackers is gett chezbergers inztaller
October 24, 2008 04:53PM
/\
/\
/\
Please, a traduction?

Tube
Am I still able to delete the wads even if I can't install them anymore (after installing firmware 3.4)? I'd really love to play Tetris Party and I believe that I am perfectly happy with "only" HBC and DVD-support. [...]

That's a good question. Installing WADs is not allowed anymore, but uninstalling requires fakesigning as well?
(BTW, if you doesn't updated your Wii yet, it's better to first uninstall any cIOS, custom or pirated WAD you may have, and then update. Of course, since this only affect stuff installing, and not stuff using, caring about the next of the next update seens kind of paranoia :P)
October 24, 2008 04:54PM
tona
Arikado
EDIT: LIGHTBULB!!! Couldn't we dump the code of Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit to see how they install their respective channels without using fakesigned code?

Epic fail.

I was merely pointing out that it is possible to install channels without fakesigned code or a wi-fi connection.

I'm very confident in the abilities of team twiizers. They'll find a workaround.
October 24, 2008 05:10PM
I have checked Hackmii just now and I read something that made me smile (almost laugh), on the BootMii post:

Deozan
You said you didn’t think Nintendo would block BootMii, but that’s exactly what they’ve done with the new system update. Obviously that means they’ve been working on it since before you posted this. How do you feel about that now?

marcan
Nintendo didn’t block BootMii - they can’t. What they did is block normal BootMii installs, which is fine by me because we have several exploits to make it work anyway. When BootMii-Core comes out it’ll work on updated Wiis.

This is really interesting... Looking from the good side, is very likely Team Twiizers already have some good solutions for dealing with this new update. From another side, the Wii system is really that vulnerable? I mean, they hane a plan A (fakesigning), and looks they have also a plan B, C, D, E... It's just weird. But somehow funny. :-)
October 24, 2008 05:24PM
agoaj
missigno00
Hackers is gett chezbergers inztaller

I don't understand, what is "gett chezbergers"

my question still on same xD

anyone can anwser?
October 24, 2008 05:46PM
I really doubt Team Twiizers will help in any way with a WAD installer or anything allowing channel installation other than HBC, which isn't open source AFAIK.

Unless Waninkoko finds something, Nintendo may well have killed general channel installation on the Wii with this update.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 05:50PM by Spoom.
October 24, 2008 06:58PM
Spoom
Nintendo may well have killed general channel installation on the Wii with this update.

Pirates won't have to update. Only new Wiis will be affected.
October 24, 2008 07:43PM
Arikado
tona
Arikado

Epic fail.

I was merely pointing out that it is possible to install channels without fakesigned code or a wi-fi connection.

I'm very confident in the abilities of team twiizers. They'll find a workaround.

The update data is presigned before being stamp on to a DVD along with the the rest of the game. Think about, why would the Wii sign an update just to immediately decrypt it....

The only options to get the private key are

A)Nintendo gives it to you and hell freezes over.
B)A Nintendo engineer gives you the keys; getting him fired, sued, jailed, and loses his career because no one on earth is going to hire some engineer who can be trusted with sensitive information.
C)Brute force attack it, to try every possible combination of key value; estimated time 100~1000 years of non-stop computing
D)Hack in to Nintendo server that heavily protected by massive firewalls and other fail safes, that will instantly shutdown at the suspicion of an attempt and get the hackers thrown into jail for a long period time.
E)Hire a ninja to break into Nintendo offices, crack the vault, and escape. The most probable of success and unlikely of them all

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 07:47PM by stevey.
October 24, 2008 11:04PM
hi, i haven't posted here in a while but I just saw this [wiibrew.org]
I guess now I can go but stuff for my wii again without pirating which is good new, all I really wanted is the final dlc pack for megaman 9.
About this IOS 51 installer, Has anyone tried it yet and how well does it work?
Which one should I use or what is the difference?
If you change your mind and want to update your wii for real can you still do it safely?
If this is installed and your playing a game that requires this update will it work or force you to update for real or will we just have to wait and see?
Is the a risk of bricking my wii great enough that I should wait for bootmii?
October 24, 2008 11:11PM
Yes!!! Thank-you Muzer!!!
October 25, 2008 12:33AM
That's really good news! But I will still wait a little before install any kind of workaround on Wii...

Anyway, way to go, Muzer!
October 25, 2008 12:45AM
Heh, I was wondering when someone would try that. And not a moment too soon with GH:WT DLC just around the corner :D

EDIT: DrMario: There's really no chance of a brick whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 12:47AM by AerialX.
October 25, 2008 12:51AM
Unfortunately, new games coming out soon (gh:wt ac:cf) might force us to update. Will that undo what muzer's app does? Tona posted an updated version that fixes fakesign in one of the new IOS's, could that be used for channel installation after games force us to update?

EDIT: Btw, my little sis just bought wii music. That doesn't contain the latest firmware update does it? Thankfully, I managed to bribe her into not using it until I know for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 12:53AM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login