Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: Latest Wii Update 10/23/08
October 25, 2008 01:24AM
>_>
<_<
which one should i get? i'm a noob, so i was looking at the noob friendly version, but after the NFV theres update 2, so is the NFV still ok?
October 25, 2008 01:36AM
Arikado
Unfortunately, new games coming out soon (gh:wt ac:cf) might force us to update. Will that undo what muzer's app does?
The discs were all pressed before the update was released. I'm doubting that it includes this update, although I don't know for sure. I've seen GH:WT torrents floating around so google might say whether it includes an update or not, and I'll find out soon enough myself first thing Sunday morning. If there is an update it might detect that IOS51 is already installed and skip it (I have no idea how it decides to update though), but if it does update then it will overwrite and undo the patchmii install, yes. However, you can always use Starfall to skip the disc update if there is one.

EDIT: Btw, my little sis just bought wii music. That doesn't contain the latest firmware update does it? Thankfully, I managed to bribe her into not using it until I know for sure.
Just try it. If there is an update the system menu will give you a chance to power the Wii off before installing the update (it won't actually install it unless you agree to).

Tona posted an updated version that fixes fakesign in one of the new IOS's, could that be used for channel installation after games force us to update?
Unless the Wii Update process won't update IOS51 because it already exists (which would be a pretty stupid move), no. If it does, then yes. But a better decision would be to not rely on that and instead install cIOS/PatchMii before updating and then you can always use that to do whatever you need to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 01:38AM by AerialX.
October 25, 2008 03:36AM
AerialX

Tona posted an updated version that fixes fakesign in one of the new IOS's, could that be used for channel installation after games force us to update?
Unless the Wii Update process won't update IOS51 because it already exists (which would be a pretty stupid move), no. If it does, then yes. But a better decision would be to not rely on that and instead install cIOS/PatchMii before updating and then you can always use that to do whatever you need to.
@AerialX: The update process checks TMD version only. If IOS51 had an update, it would be immediately overwritten. But it would not be simply overwritten by the current IOS51.

@Arikado: Possibly, but we have no idea what libogc compatibility with this new IOS is like. Someone could try and find out I guess, but I wouldn't count on it. Take AerialX's advice: Install some sort of mega-patched IOS. Especially one that includes a title-install-versioncheck patch.

Edit: Oh, also: Anyone who has some version of cIOS (or my patchmii version) installed and has run this update, pm me or make a post here. If you have rev03 or greater, you can definitely downgrade all of the updated IOS. If there's enough interest, I may work on some sort of pretty title installer to do just that. Although Waninkoko has said he may be doing this himself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 03:41AM by tona.
October 25, 2008 04:26AM

@AerialX: The update process checks TMD version only. If IOS51 had an update, it would be immediately overwritten. But it would not be simply overwritten by the current IOS51.
Ah, I guess I assumed that it was like a cumulative update where if the system determines that you don't have this update (the batch of new IOS versions and HABA), it just downloads and installs everything, dumping it all on your Wii regardless. Well at least that helps us current homebrewers; hopefully a workaround for those without installed homebrew will appear soon :)

I find all this IOS stuff pretty interesting, I should read up more about how the system really works when I get a chance.

EDIT: Well I just ran your installer, tona. Worked perfectly, thanks :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 04:38AM by AerialX.
October 25, 2008 04:38AM
well...i suppose if that we found a way to downgrade de update, we can downgrade, install and update, everytime that we want to instal the wad files...

it's a idea...isn't?

so, I dunno how XD
October 25, 2008 04:54AM
Arikado
tona
Arikado
EDIT: LIGHTBULB!!! Couldn't we dump the code of Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit to see how they install their respective channels without using fakesigned code?

Epic fail.

I was merely pointing out that it is possible to install channels without fakesigned code or a wi-fi connection.
Yes, there are currently two known ways to install a channel. Either fakesign it, or be Nintendo.

Simple explanation:
-The Wii will not run or install anything that is not signed by Nintendo.
-We will never be able to sign anything ourselves, unless we get Nintendo's encryption key.
-We will almost certainly never get the key. There's absolutely no reason for it to be in any publicly accessible file, and brute-forcing it would take millions of years. The only feasible possibility is they give it out by accident.
-Fakesigning uses a bug to trick the Wii into thinking something is signed by Nintendo when it's not. The IOS37 update fixed this bug in a few IOSes (including the one the System Menu uses). The IOS51 update fixed it in all of them.
-The fakesigning bug is still present in boot1. Nintendo can never fix this, as boot1 is read-only. Thus if you can get far enough in to be able to modify boot2, you can take complete control ala BootMii.
-Modifying a signed file breaks the signature. That's the whole point of the signature. So, hacking the existing channels or updates is not an option.

This update only prevents you from installing channels or WADs. It won't break anything that's already installed, and you can still use the Twilight Hack. Twiizers has said on hackmii.com that BootMii will use a new, not yet disclosed exploit to install itself. Once you have it, you have full control, and can patch the IOSes to ignore the signature entirely.
October 25, 2008 06:40AM
I have a question.

I accidentally deleted the homebrew channel, then updated it (read: I am a raging idiot).

Can Muzer's thing fix what I did, or am I utterly screwed in getting the channel back until somebody hacks some form of workaround?

I'm kind of a n00b at this.
October 25, 2008 06:48AM
Exotahu
I have a question.

I accidentally deleted the homebrew channel, then updated it (read: I am a raging idiot).

Can Muzer's thing fix what I did, or am I utterly screwed in getting the channel back until somebody hacks some form of workaround?

I'm kind of a n00b at this.

"Muzer's thing" is for people who haven't updated yet (and don't want to) but still want to install the new shop channel, so that doesn't apply to you.

Did you ever install cIOS or PatchMii (maybe for DVDX)? If so (and assuming you have the TP hack available), refer to tona's edit in his post above. Otherwise, yes you're pretty much screwed until a workaround is released (Twiizers apparently has some exploits in mind). Just... be patient :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 06:51AM by AerialX.
October 25, 2008 06:55AM
I Installed DVDX, but I don't think I have patchmii and I don't know what cIOS is.

I have to wait until I get a copy of TP, I was just curious.
October 25, 2008 10:38AM
tona
Edit: Oh, also: Anyone who has some version of cIOS (or my patchmii version) installed and has run this update, pm me or make a post here.

I am pretty much a newbie in this IOS stuff, how do I find out? I got the HBC and have mainly used region code related apps like AnyRegionChanger and Starfall. Which are both more or less disabled now by the upadte, as you have read in the other thread.

Anyway, you guys are doing great, keep it up!
October 25, 2008 11:19AM
Exotahu

Did you delete it or did you wipe it out (ala WAD-Uninstaller)

If he only deleted it (via the system menu), shouldn't the ticket or the TMD still reside on his NAND?
October 25, 2008 02:32PM
So let me get this straight.

1)Install tona's app so I can use the shop channel again

2)Install starfall so I'm protected from disc updates

So now I would be protected from all updates. Correct? Also, does protecting myself from updates mean I can't play new games coming out this fall/winter?
October 25, 2008 03:21PM
daniel_c_w
Exotahu

If he only deleted it (via the system menu), shouldn't the ticket or the TMD still reside on his NAND?

I moved it to SD card. I updated. I tried moving it back. It didn't go so I tried again. I accidentally selected erase instead without realizing it. Then accidentally deleted it off of the SD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 03:28PM by Exotahu.
October 25, 2008 05:59PM
i heard starfall was bad, and would be wiped out after you have updated it. i believe i read that while reading the bootmii article..
October 25, 2008 06:02PM
lizard81288
i heard starfall was bad, and would be wiped out after you have updated it. i believe i read that while reading the bootmii article..

Starfall gets wiped out after you update. I want to set myself up so I don't ever have to/get forced to update.
October 25, 2008 07:17PM
tona
Arikado
EDIT: LIGHTBULB!!! Couldn't we dump the code of Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit to see how they install their respective channels without using fakesigned code?

Epic fail.

RSA 101 (Or read this)

RSA encryption is done with key pairs. One key is used to encrypt data, and one key is used to decrypt it.

The encryption key is also called a "private key," because you want to keep this private. The decryption key is a "public key," and you give this out to whoever needs to read data from you.

So, Nintendo has a "private key" that they use to encrypt/sign various data.
yep.

Your Wii has a "public key" (known as the "common key"), which it uses to decrypt this data, and in the process, ensure that it is made from Nintendo's private key--as key pairs are unique.
It's not called common-key. There are basically two different cryptographic methods used in the Wii: Asymmetric encryption (RSA) and symmetric encrytion (aes-128-cbc).
Let's start with the symmetric encryption. The common-key is basically just used to obfuscate the data for us using the well-known AES algorithm. Without knowing this key we can't look at Wiidiscs, updates,... because just about everything is encrypted using this key. (except for savegames, they're using a different key there). Nintendo uses the common-key to encrypt data and your Wii uses the same key to decrypt that data, hence symmetric encryption. Since we have the common-key because they left it in MEM2 in gamecube mode we can easily encrypt our own data just like Nintendo. You don't want to build a security system just around such a key - this is security through obscurity and will never work.
You can however use the second method to make your system much more secure: Asymmetric encryption. Nintendo is using RSA-2048 or RSA-4096 here which basically is applied modulo and exponential mathematics. RSA works with two different keys: The private and the public one. The private key can only be used to decrypt data and the public is used to encrypt data. RSA can be used to both encrypt and sign data. Nintendo only uses it to sign data though.
The private key is stored somewhere at Nintendo and would make our lives so much easier. The public key is stored in every Wii - segher's tools except this one in ~/.wii/root-key.
To sign data Nintendo uses the their private key to decrypt (no, i didn't want to write encrypt here) a hash (SHA-1) and some padding bytes which would normally result in some meaningless data. The result is however the signature and is stored in the TMD/Ticket/Certificate. You cannot recreate such a signature if you just know the public key because you can't decrypt stuff.
To verify this certificate the Wii now encrypts the hash of the payload and the padding bytes using the public key. The payload is verified if the result now matches the signature.
October 25, 2008 07:48PM
Exotahu
daniel_c_w
Exotahu

I moved it to SD card. I updated. I tried moving it back. It didn't go so I tried again. I accidentally selected erase instead without realizing it. Then accidentally deleted it off of the SD.

Try using some kind of file recover utility (i.e [www.recuva.com] ) to restore the file and try again. If this doesn't work...
Playing sad music
October 25, 2008 09:26PM
DanielHueho
Exotahu
daniel_c_w
Exotahu

Try using some kind of file recover utility (i.e [www.recuva.com] ) to restore the file and try again. If this doesn't work...
Playing sad music
He said it didn't work when he tried it anyway. It's a fakesigned channel so I'm assuming that the Wii is now denying it from being reinstalled/copied due to the fact that it's not properly signed.

I'm wondering what updates GH:WT will have on the disc. Probably at least 3.3U? I guess I should install Starfall to avoid it.
October 25, 2008 10:03PM
Does Gecko OS come with a "no-update" mode?
October 25, 2008 10:36PM
DanielHueho
Does Gecko OS come with a "no-update" mode?
I'm pretty sure that GeckoOS automatically launches a game executable without even bothering to even check the update partition. So it's always in "no-update mode."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login