Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: I just want to confirm a few things before updating my Wii...
October 29, 2008 02:09AM
And what happens if a disk comes along that has a system update on it, and we don't want to mess with GeckoOS to skip the update because we have no use for it otherwise? All this talk about discouraging the newest update seems a little shortsighted. True, I've had my share of bad updates for my pc OS (both windows and linux), and we've all heard the PS3 story I'm sure, but Nintendo does have an lot of control over our Wii's software, and to be honest, they almost certainly know more about it then anyone else as well. So, naturally, this bold "DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII" disturbs me. It's my Wii. It's already been said multiple times that the homebrew channel is at the user's risk, and if you want to state your opinion that we don't need to update our Wiis, that's fine. But everyone has different preferences, and not everyone will want to use/trust every bit of homebrew out there, and that includes GeckoOS and Beta9.
October 29, 2008 03:52AM
Then you can mess with many other disk updating blocking apps.

It is up to you.

Notice that it says that Wiibrew RECOMMENDS it...
October 29, 2008 04:07AM
Well what exactly does the system menu check before deciding whether you have the update or not? For now, why don't we take Muzer/tona's IOS51/Shop installer, and also have it do whatever the official update does to indicate that it was installed (or just increase the version number of every IOS on your Wii and the update won't actually do anything from what I can gather), then you don't have to worry about it. Or install Starfall which blocks disc updates. Or wait for BootMii which will also accomplish the same. etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2008 04:08AM by AerialX.
October 29, 2008 06:06AM
Tanstaafl
And what happens if a disk comes along that has a system update on it, and we don't want to mess with GeckoOS to skip the update because we have no use for it otherwise? All this talk about discouraging the newest update seems a little shortsighted. True, I've had my share of bad updates for my pc OS (both windows and linux), and we've all heard the PS3 story I'm sure, but Nintendo does have an lot of control over our Wii's software, and to be honest, they almost certainly know more about it then anyone else as well. So, naturally, this bold "DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII" disturbs me. It's my Wii. It's already been said multiple times that the homebrew channel is at the user's risk, and if you want to state your opinion that we don't need to update our Wiis, that's fine. But everyone has different preferences, and not everyone will want to use/trust every bit of homebrew out there, and that includes GeckoOS and Beta9.
If you want to ensure continued compatibility with homebrew, don't update until the update has been investigated and possibly patched by people who know what they're doing. If you don't mind potentially being unable to use homebrew, then go ahead and update. That simple. It's your choice, the warnings are just that - warnings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2008 06:07AM by HyperHacker.
Will we ever get WAD channel installing back?
October 26, 2008 03:16PM
Hi;

First of all I'd like to thank you all for your great work on the Wii scene!

I recently updated to the october 23 3.3 firmware thinking that it'd be OK (HBC channel, and such; specially after seeing the beta 9), but I accidentally overlooked the WAD installations not working fact. Now, after further reading, I found out that the WAD channels couldn't be installed anymore because of the fakesigning blocked.

For me, the main use of homebrew was the install apps as channels (emulators, utilities, WAD manager, etc.), but now that the fakesigning is patched and it can't be done, I'm going crazy thinking I may have ruined the Wii for me if there's no workaround!

On the other hand, the HBC recently updated to beta 9, thus it's installing a channel EVEN after the new update... so that gives me a glance of hope that it make work after all!

So... what I wanted to ask you is if is there a workaround for it that'll allow us to install these channels again? I mailed Waninkoko (WAD Manager) about this too, hopes he could answer me...

Also, would team Twiizers share with other developers how they made the channel installation, in order for them to create another WAD installer / uninstaller?

And the last one: I can't downgrade to.. let's say, 3.3 prior to october 23, right? I mean, for what I read I should have had a CIOS installed previous to the updating or something like that, right?Now there is nothing I can do to go back?

Well, thank you all in advance for your time; looking forward to your answers!

Regards,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 04:37PM by Dan_Aykroyd.
Re: Will we ever get WAD channel installing back?
October 26, 2008 03:55PM
Installing VC WADS is illegal and not supported on this forum.
Also, how did you get apps as a channel? I always thought that it couldn't be done!
October 26, 2008 04:39PM
There are many ready-made apps as WAD that can be installed as channel (SNES emu, wad manager, and many others), and also I think there is a tool that will let you create them.

Sorry about the VC, I use it for the apps as channels but added the VC in my post so you'll get what I meant. Already removed.
October 26, 2008 04:45PM
go away, kthx. we don't support wads here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 04:45PM by svpe.
October 26, 2008 05:23PM
Only WAD I support is the HBC. Get lost pirate.
October 26, 2008 05:24PM
Installing channels (other than HBC) still uses copyrighted Nintendo code--also not supported. Kthx.
Re: Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread
October 29, 2008 03:31PM
Erm... only if they steal banner code, which they're forced to because the banner tools and exploit used by HBC haven't been released (for better or worse).

Frankly, it's nice to be able to have homebrew programs as channels. It removes a step from accessing them.
October 29, 2008 07:30PM
Spoom
Erm... only if they steal banner code, which they're forced to because the banner tools and exploit used by HBC haven't been released (for better or worse).

Nobody's forcing you to do anything. I think it would be nice to release the banner tools, but they're Marcan's hard work and it's therefore his decision. What does an exploit have to do with this?

Frankly, it's nice to be able to have homebrew programs as channels. It removes a step from accessing them.

It's really easy to brick your Wii if you make a banner file without knowing what you're doing. This outweighs the convenience of saving a step.
October 30, 2008 03:43AM
bushing
What does an exploit have to do with this?
The exploit HBC9 uses to install a channel under IOS51? Nobody else can make a channel without it now. Not necessarily agreeing with Spoom, just clarifying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2008 03:43AM by HyperHacker.
October 30, 2008 05:36AM
Please help a newbie here.

Bought a wii for the first time at costco last week. Didn't know any better about homebrew and so i updated the unmodded wii on Oct 24 (or 25th can't remember, but definitely after oct 23). Then i found out about the update and freaked out. decided to rent twilight princess and tried the hack anyways. well it seems to work just fine. i was able to install homebrew channel without a hitch. I then proceeded to install the wii shop and ios51 update and have access to wii shopping channel (although haven't bought anything yet). Also installed mii extractor and installer w/o issue. have also installed homebrew browser w/o issues.

of course, being my paranoid self I am still worried that having the oct 23 update will not be good in the future. So i headed back out to cost to buy another wii (planning to return the other one) and not do the update. Installed HBC and all others mentioned above without a problem.

So my question is why didn't I have any issues so far with the wii with oct 23 update? perhaps even though i did the update it somehow was not the oct 23 update? how can one tell if you have the oct 23 update. both wii's i have now (one with an update done afte roct 23 and one without) both say version 3.3u on the settings menu. Is there an app that will surely fail to install if I have the oct 23 update so i can test on both?

thanks.
October 30, 2008 09:43AM
@superflysocal

Installing apps on a SD card is different than installing apps on the Wii internal memory (also known as NAND memory).
Because you are a newbie and a bit paranoic (you said it :P ), the 23Oct update will makes NO difference for you after all, unless:

A. You are going to install channel/pirate WADs on the NAND (not recommended anyway, and you don't want to piss off the folk here... :P)
B. You going to use GeckoOS rebooter (not working)
C. You going to use some obscure applications (things like emulators and media players still works fine, so far)

But that's something that makes me curious...

superflysocal
Then i found out about the update and freaked out. decided to rent twilight princess and tried the hack anyways. well it seems to work just fine. i was able to install homebrew channel without a hitch. I then proceeded to install the wii shop and ios51 update and have access to wii shopping channel (although haven't bought anything yet).

You are talking about IOS51 package from Muzer / Tona, right? Well, if you REALLY installed one of them, you didn't updated to 23Oct yet, because both installers relies on fakesigning bug, that was fixed on 23Oct update. (And if you did the update, they are not required anyway.) In the first case, considere yourself lucky.
October 30, 2008 12:28PM
DanielHueho
@superflysocal

Installing apps on a SD card is different than installing apps on the Wii internal memory (also known as NAND memory).
Because you are a newbie and a bit paranoic (you said it :P ), the 23Oct update will makes NO difference for you after all, unless:

A. You are going to install channel/pirate WADs on the NAND (not recommended anyway, and you don't want to piss off the folk here... :P)
B. You going to use GeckoOS rebooter (not working)
C. You going to use some obscure applications (things like emulators and media players still works fine, so far)

But that's something that makes me curious...

superflysocal
Then i found out about the update and freaked out. decided to rent twilight princess and tried the hack anyways. well it seems to work just fine. i was able to install homebrew channel without a hitch. I then proceeded to install the wii shop and ios51 update and have access to wii shopping channel (although haven't bought anything yet).

You are talking about IOS51 package from Muzer / Tona, right? Well, if you REALLY installed one of them, you didn't updated to 23Oct yet, because both installers relies on fakesigning bug, that was fixed on 23Oct update. (And if you did the update, they are not required anyway.) In the first case, considere yourself lucky.

yes im talking about muzer wii shop and ios51 installer. So you are saying that is one application that if the wii does have the oct 23 update then it would not be able to install it?
(I'm 100% sure I successfully did an update after Oct23).
October 30, 2008 02:32PM
superflysocal
yes im talking about muzer wii shop and ios51 installer. So you are saying that is one application that if the wii does have the oct 23 update then it would not be able to install it?
(I'm 100% sure I successfully did an update after Oct23).
Neither installer *relies* on it. Although if you tell my installer to patch IOS51, it will try to use it.

Also, why would you need to run that program if you already installed the latest update? :confused:
October 30, 2008 03:27PM
not really needing to run the program but just trying to figure out exactly what cannot be done if you have installed the oct23 update (w/o ever running the twilight hack first). it appears that i can still run the hack, so i just want to know what program installation will fail with the oct 23 update. I'm just also trying to figure out how one can tell if you have an oct updated wii unit (which be helpful for people buying a new unit from here on which may have the update installed at the factory).
October 30, 2008 07:49PM
tona
Neither installer *relies* on it. Although if you tell my installer to patch IOS51, it will try to use it.

Hmm, I always thought that any kind of NAND modification involved the fakesigning bug... Bléh, I hate to do mistakes :P.

superflysocal
it appears that i can still run the hack, so i just want to know what program installation will fail with the oct 23 update. I'm just also trying to figure out how one can tell if you have an oct updated wii unit (which be helpful for people buying a new unit from here on which may have the update installed at the factory).

It's pretty unlikely this update will came with newest Wiis like this fast, but anyway, I guess that the easiest way to know if the update is installed is running a installer that uses fakesigning bug and see what happens, like the DVDX installer.
Remember, installing apps on the SD card remains good as ever, because "installation", on this case, is pretty much "copy-and-paste" the files from your PC to the card (or even just downloading from Wii with Homebrew Browser)
October 30, 2008 08:27PM
superflysocal
not really needing to run the program but just trying to figure out exactly what cannot be done if you have installed the oct23 update (w/o ever running the twilight hack first). it appears that i can still run the hack, so i just want to know what program installation will fail with the oct 23 update. I'm just also trying to figure out how one can tell if you have an oct updated wii unit (which be helpful for people buying a new unit from here on which may have the update installed at the factory).

try one of these

1. Yawnd nand dumper
2. xyzzy key dumping utility
3. anytitle deleter
4. anyregion changer
5. installing any fakesigned wad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2008 08:28PM by WiiCrazy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login