Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Channel creation

Posted by whodares 
Re: Channel creation
November 13, 2008 03:33PM
ok... I understand...

wow, looks very cool! I'm with daniel_c_w , I can't wait to try it!

Will it have a feature that either rejects or re-sizes and image that is not 256x192?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 03:37PM by DrLucky.
November 13, 2008 03:50PM
This discussion is getting very interesting!
November 13, 2008 04:39PM
daniel_c_w
Will you release the source?
Not sure yet. If I do, you'll need Visual Basic.NET 2008 (Express Edition [Free] will be fine, as that's what I'm using). I suppose I could have done it in another language, but force of habbit, and it was installed on my machine :-)

DrLucky
Will it have a feature that either rejects or re-sizes and image that is not 256x192?
Why would I do that? I'm not aware of any technical limitations on image size in the banner (if anybody knows different, please speak up. I would also recommend against having a 10Megapixel photo in a banner, but your call lol). Having a larger image than the display area means that you'll be able to "scroll" the larger image about in the animation area.
November 13, 2008 05:40PM
whodares

DrLucky
Why would I do that? I'm not aware of any technical limitations on image size in the banner (if anybody knows different, please speak up. I would also recommend against having a 10Megapixel photo in a banner, but your call lol). Having a larger image than the display area means that you'll be able to "scroll" the larger image about in the animation area.

I had understood that any image not THAT particular size would brick the Wii. Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of your banner tools, or underestimating all of its capabilities...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 05:40PM by DrLucky.
November 13, 2008 05:50PM
whodares
daniel_c_w
Will you release the source?
Not sure yet. If I do, you'll need Visual Basic.NET 2008 (Express Edition [Free] will be fine, as that's what I'm using). I suppose I could have done it in another language, but force of habbit, and it was installed on my machine :-)

No problem. I am developing windows appliactions (in c, not in c#) myself and I also use Visual Studio. I get it for free in my University.
November 13, 2008 10:00PM
DrLucky
I had understood that any image not THAT particular size would brick the Wii. Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of your banner tools, or underestimating all of its capabilities...
Really? On disassembling my Last Ninja and Mario Kart channel banners, there are the following sizes-
* "my_BackCommodore64_a.tpl" is 512x64
* "my_Grad_b.tpl" is 8x32
* "ht_mkwLogo_00.tpl" is 432x48
* "tk_la_kart_00.tpl" is 100x62

Where did you find this information? It might relate to whatever banner tools you were looking at, and if you can provide a link, I'd like to review the information. But from official banners, as long as the width and height are multiples 2, they all seem okay.
November 13, 2008 10:38PM
BANNER NEEDS TO BE 256x192
ICON NEEDS TO BE 128x96
NOTE: NOT USING THESE SIZES WILL BRICK YOUR WII!

there are some apps in Spanish that allow you to change the banners (like for the emulator channels Paradox makes)
it isn't mentioned on here much since there is Nintendo code involved (somehow) it is "pirating".... but on other forums, it is a widely know wii bricker. And I know of people who have bricked their Wii's with the wrong sized banner...

but this is a link to a guide on how to use the Spanish banner tools :

[gbatemp.net] (click on the "show spoiler" button)

or on here (not quite as in depth) :

[forums.maxconsole.net]
November 13, 2008 11:02PM
Ahhh, yes, that's because they are replacing images inside existing banners. As they don't alter the brlyt and brlan files, the images they replace must have the same file size and name as the original.

However, because my banner tools will actually "create" a banner, you'll be free to use any size.
November 13, 2008 11:19PM
whodares
Ahhh, yes, that's because they are replacing images inside existing banners. As they don't alter the brlyt and brlan files, the images they replace must have the same file size and name as the original.

However, because my banner tools will actually "create" a banner, you'll be free to use any size.
ahh.. nice to know...
and will be in English, I presume? haha

Glad that was cleared up though...
November 14, 2008 01:37PM
DrLucky
and will be in English, I presume? haha
I am English, so it makes sense :-D
November 14, 2008 02:10PM
Without knowing what many of the abbreviations on the feature list mean I have one question left:

Will whodares' software support banners with dynamic content? WC24?
November 14, 2008 03:32PM
Initially, no. Then it depends on somebody working out how WC24 and the CHANS script works
November 14, 2008 04:40PM
whodares
Then it depends on somebody working out how WC24 and the CHANS script works

Is there any known starting point to work out CHANS? Did somebody release a bit of information?
How do we even know the name?
November 14, 2008 05:49PM
[forum.wiibrew.org]
Please, no more about CHANS/WC24 here unless it's directly related to channel/banner creation. Cheers
November 14, 2008 10:55PM
I was just wandering, is there a program(compatible with linux) that will extract a DOL file from a WAD?
November 15, 2008 12:29AM
@strongfan: Wrong thread. This has nothing to do with channel/banner creation. Please post a new thread
November 21, 2008 10:07PM
will there be some way to overcome the 3.4 update?
November 21, 2008 10:21PM
Don't know... I'm not even looking at that side until the banner tools are ready. As it may take a while for the tools, much can change between now and then, so there's not point planning and designing for something that might be locked out by the time I get to it.

I've not actually done any work on the banner tools for a while. Mainly due to lack of motivation.
November 22, 2008 01:26AM

Motivation!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2008 01:27AM by strongfan.
November 22, 2008 04:06AM
shhh.... hear that? Its the quiet sound of kids saying "banner tools, banner tools"...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login