Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

StartPatch... Is it worth it?

Posted by ICEing 
StartPatch... Is it worth it?
September 07, 2009 12:43AM
I was just reading about the Start Patch on wiibrew and it seems pretty sweet. Only thing is It says I need cIOS and I hear from u guys that I should just stay away from that stuff. But someone told me about StartPatch saying you can get free Wii games? I dont think we can talk about that though here I'm just wondering if its worth it or not.

Also on a side note, what exactly is FTPii? I read about it and frankly it confused me
Re: StartPatch... Is it worth it?
September 07, 2009 12:47AM
No.... Just...no

StartPatch does not in any way allow you to get free games.... it just patches the system menu to remove limitations.

It is just like starfall for higher system menus but it does require a cIOS (bad move if you ask me)
September 07, 2009 12:48AM
I don't think there's any reason to avoid starpatch, you can use it. Nothing on wiibrew.org is illegal, so you don't need to be worried about that. :)

Whoever said it makes it so "you can get free wii games", I would stay away from that source. :P
"Getting" a wii game off the internet without paying for it is illegal. As it is with lots of things downloadable from the internet.

Edit: TopGun96, you posted your post while i was posting mine. :P lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 12:49AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 07, 2009 12:50AM
lol... but I use startpatch 4.1 and it works like a charm, so there really is no need to be afraid
September 07, 2009 12:53AM
Oh I see lol Thanks guys. So just generally stay away from cIOS. Got it. As for Startpatch 4.1 I didnt see that :O Its the same thing but im guessing u can download it wthout cIOS? Can u give me a link?

-EDIT-

This is another reason why I thought you can get free wii games:

Features
Region free GC games with video mode patch
Region free Wii games
Region free channels
No mainmenu BGM
Start rescue-menu when Y is held on 1st GC controller
Remove rescue-menu diagnostic disc check
Replace health warning with backmenu
Skip disc update check

That was from wiibrew.org under the "Starfall" app and it was said Start Patch is the same thing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 12:57AM by ICEing.
September 07, 2009 12:56AM
The download for it is on this page. Make sure you download for the correct region. :)
September 07, 2009 12:56AM
The link is on the wiki page..... but in order for it to run you have to have the cIOS installed.... the ways of getting a cIOS on 4.1 arent supported here
September 07, 2009 12:58AM
ICEing
Oh I see lol Thanks guys. So just generally stay away from cIOS. Got it. As for Startpatch 4.1 I didnt see that :O Its the same thing but im guessing u can download it wthout cIOS? Can u give me a link?

-EDIT-

Features
Region free Wii games
Region free channels
No mainmenu BGM
Skip disc update check

That was from wiibrew.org under the "Starfall" app and it was said Start Patch is the same thing?
Oh, I see what you mean. That doesn't mean you can get free wii games.The region free wi games means that if you get a foreign wii game (japan, europe, etc.), it will still launch from your wii. Without this function, you can't play a game from another region.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 12:59AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 07, 2009 12:59AM
WaxyPumpkin72
The download for it is on this page. Make sure you download for the correct region. :)

Thanks :) But I still have to download a cIOS? Im debating should I or not
September 07, 2009 01:00AM
WaxyPumpkin72
ICEing

-EDIT-

Features
Region free Wii games
Region free channels
No mainmenu BGM
Skip disc update check

Oh, I see what you mean. That doesn't mean you can get free wii games.The region free wi games means that if you get a foreign wii game (japan, europe, etc.), it will still launch from your wii. Without this function, you can't play a game from another region.

Ohhhh ok I gotcha. My friend is retarded then nvm lol
September 07, 2009 01:00AM
ICEing
WaxyPumpkin72

Thanks :) But I still have to download a cIOS? Im debating should I or not
I'm pretty sure its fine. Could someone back me up on this?
September 07, 2009 01:06AM
"A cIOS rev12 or higher installed for 4.1"

Hopefully this wont screw my Wii up or lower performance in any way? I heard cIOS's do that
September 07, 2009 01:12AM
Well, on the wiki it does say that you have a chance of bricking your wii....Do you have bootmii installed on boot2 with a NAND backup?
September 07, 2009 01:14AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Well, on the wiki it does say that you have a chance of bricking your wii....Do you have bootmii installed on boot2 with a NAND backup?

Indeed I do
September 07, 2009 01:20AM
Then there's no reason to be afraid. You may as well install it. Good luck! :D
September 07, 2009 01:23AM
WaxyPumpkin72

One last thing. I read ina different topic here in the "bootmii" sections, someone said that some cIOS affects bootmii?
September 07, 2009 01:23AM
is cIOS rev12 or higher supported here for system menu 4.0??
September 07, 2009 01:29AM
ICEing
WaxyPumpkin72

One last thing. I read ina different topic here in the "bootmii" sections, someone said that some cIOS affects bootmii?
Eh. Sounds bogus to me. Go ahead and install. :)

darklink
is cIOS rev12 or higher supported here for system menu 4.0??

What do you mean? Can it not be installed on 4.0? I wouldn't know, because I'm on 3.2.
September 07, 2009 01:30AM
Eh...I chickened out. I dont want any cIOS on my Wii since it supposedly does something negative? Risky?

And how do you download over the network by the way? It says thats what I need to do to download that cIOS in case I do actually do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 01:32AM by ICEing.
September 07, 2009 01:33AM
ICEing
Eh...I chickened out. I dont want any cIOS on my Wii since it supposedly does something negative? Risky?
AFAIK, you can't install anything that can mess with bootmii. If something goes wrong, then just restore your backup. I've restored my backup(s) multiple times, and never had any issues. I really think its fine to install.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login