Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New system menu update

Posted by adamisgood36 
New system menu update
August 08, 2008 10:14PM
Well every once in a while i check if theres a new update, because Nintendo usually send out a mail like a week later.
So i went wii system menu update, but before it could finish i shut off my wii, just in case. so i think someone should look into this. I have a American wii by the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 10:14PM by adamisgood36.
Re: New system menu update
August 08, 2008 10:18PM
never mind about that, But what would happen if you preformed a system update with menu loader?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 10:32PM by adamisgood36.
August 11, 2008 11:05PM
It would probably update normally, unless you patched that part of the code to do something else.
August 13, 2008 01:28PM
I checked the system update yesterday but I dident have the guts to finish it so lets just wait untill nintendo sends a letter about what the update dose.
August 13, 2008 11:58PM
the latest update is still the 3.3 menu, you can check here about all of nintendo's updates and what they do [www.nintendo.com]
edit: just found this page on the wiki also where they are keeping track of the updates so we know when to avoid them. [wiibrew.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 06:10AM by DrMario.
August 14, 2008 09:39AM
ok just something for the photo channel thats right now only awalibe in japan.
August 21, 2008 07:46AM
My current Nintendo OS on the Wii is version 3.3U. It probably is pretty easy to make an upgrade that makes modchips fail, but it is probably hard for Nintendo to make an upgrade that could beat a softmod (like Twilight Hack + Homebrew Channel). So I feel that for most future upgrades, there won't be any problem with the homebrew "scene". In fact I accept ALL official upgrades from Nintendo, because there might be some that if I DON'T have them, I might be unable to play some future OFFICIAL games (regular store bought games).
August 21, 2008 10:03AM
Nintendo already released an update once that removed the twilight hack and fixed the Trucha bug. Team Twiizers were able to change the twilight hack to work around the bug.

If any games need updates, you can just install the update from the game. In any case, as soon as you see a message for an update, check online and find out if it affects anything. If it does, it wouldn't kill you to wait a few days before updating and see if the scene can tackle it.
August 22, 2008 01:19AM
rokujou
Nintendo already released an update once that removed the twilight hack and fixed the Trucha bug. Team Twiizers were able to change the twilight hack to work around the bug.

If any games need updates, you can just install the update from the game. In any case, as soon as you see a message for an update, check online and find out if it affects anything. If it does, it wouldn't kill you to wait a few days before updating and see if the scene can tackle it.

I keep hearing "Trucha" this, and "Trucha" that. I have even seen some program that says it is a loader for DVD disks burned from a "Trucha" ISO disk image. But what the heck is "Trucha"? NONE of the sites that mention it say what it is. It is either that they expect EVERYONE to know what it is, or else it is so TOP SECRET that they dare say NOTHING about it, other than its name.

So PLEASE someone tell me what "Trucha" is.
August 22, 2008 02:01AM
Simply put, Trucha is a code bug that team twiizers exposed to make the twilight hack.

EDIT: See post below.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 03:49PM by Arikado.
August 22, 2008 03:30AM
The Twilight hack has nothing to do Trucha. The Trucha name comes from the Trucha Signer that signs homebrew disks and channels with a fake signature to allow custom software to run and be installed. For more information check out the summary & Details on the main site.
August 23, 2008 01:55PM
Its been awhile since this has been posted sooo, is it okay to update quite yet?
August 23, 2008 02:30PM
CLXrsist 3.3 is the latest firmware. If you don't have it, go ahead and update.
August 23, 2008 03:00PM
Oh i thought they were talking of a newer update. Yeah I have 3.3. Been having it for awhile. Never mind.
August 24, 2008 05:23AM
So if my disk is "Trucha signed" then all I need is a homebrew special booting app (like Gecko OS) to run it? Whereas if the disk was "unsigned" then I would need a modchip to play the same disk?

That's what I got from this. But please tell me if I'm mistaken.

And can someone tell me where I can get a program that either makes ISOs with trucha signing or else can add trucha signing code to an already built ISO file?
August 26, 2008 11:38AM
You are mistaken. You still need a modchip to load any disc that's trucha signed.

As far as I know (which isn't much), trucha signing is used to resign a game after it has been decrypted and had its IOS updates removed or other elements patched. Not sure if I'm right, though.
August 26, 2008 05:01PM
Yes, afaik, if you wanted to alter a Wii ISO you have to decrypt it somehow, but once you do the specific key that the Wii uses to verify a real game gets destroyed, so Trucha takes advantage of a bug in this encryption process to make it possible to run modified (or homemade) Wii ISOs.
But all this only works if you are able to circumvent the inability to read burned discs on the Wii. (with a modchip)
September 12, 2008 12:55AM
Which you can with the DVD lib bushing released. However, it can't run ISOs until someone makes an ISO loader, and that is NOT going to happen anytime soon! The WiiBrew community is against piracy and an ISO loader would open the flood gates for pirates!
September 12, 2008 09:05PM
truchasigning also known as fakesigning is a technique to make fake signatures that pass verification due to a bug. These are used all over the place - channels, games, etc. This has nothing to do with modchips. All homebrew software that is loaded by an official method (discs or channels) must be fakesigned. Nintendo fixed the bug with the IOS30 revision that came with system menu 3.3, but that only applies to discs and channels that are installed using that IOS. Since we use other IOSes to install channels, and the IOS used to launch them is irrelevant, this doesn't really mean anything for homebrew channels, practically speaking (they all still work), but you can't boot homebrew discs on 3.3 since that does run on the new IOS30.

This all applies to modified games too, since those must also be fakesigned.

If you want to run modified (fakesigned) discs and you have system menu 3.3, you must use some alternative boot method, such as Gecko OS (which doesn't use IOS30), or menuloader (which lets you boot the system menu using any IOS that you want).

You always need a modchip to get the Wii to read a disc UNLESS you use DVD-mode. This is currently only used in libdi, and therefore only useful from homebrew itself (but not to boot homebrew from the menu).
September 13, 2008 02:12AM
To explain as simply as possible (to the best of my knowledge):
Fakesigning ("trucha signing") tricks IOS into thinking the program it's loading was written by Nintendo.
Modchips prevent the DVD drive from realizing it's reading a burned disc.

If you want to load homebrew from discs, you need both, because the program was not written by Nintendo and you're using a burned disc.

(In the case of modified games, the same is true; the phrase "written by Nintendo" could be a bit confusing. The program has to be byte-for-byte identical to the one Nintendo wrote.)

Of course once you already have control of the system, you can patch IOS to remove the signature check and use DVD mode to remove the burned-disc check, but the point of these checks is to prevent you from gaining control in the first place. They just don't do it well enough. :P)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2008 02:19AM by HyperHacker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login