Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can Wiis with current HomeBrew update safely via Nintendo's update?

Posted by SchachMeister 
Can Wiis with current HomeBrew update safely via Nintendo's update?
November 05, 2009 06:18AM
Greetings everyone! First, let me say that this entire WiiBrew site is fantastic!

I am seeing some conflicting advice here regarding updating to the latest Nintendo update that allows for the free 500 point VC game to those of us who had to purchase the Internet Channel.

Here is my current system:
(from BootMii)

BootMii v 1.1
stub v 1.1
Mini v 1.1

SysMenu 4.2U Boot1b boot2v

(From HB)
IOS61 v21.29

I assume this is the latest Homebrew channel because HB does not prompt me to update. I have BootMii installed at "boot2" and I have backups made on two separate SD cards.

I have not made any modifications to my Wii besides the regular Nintendo updates, the Twilight hack, and keeping HB ch. current with the channel's updater.

I would LIKE to simply update my Wii using Nintendo's updater in order to have access to the WiiShop to get my free VC game. What, if anything, will I loose if I do this? Has anyone done it successfully without using any "special" updater tools?

If I end up loosing BootMii, how would I go about reinstalling it? Right now, the only way I know to install it is to wait for another HB Channel update which will ask if I want to install BootMii as well. If I loose the Homebrew channel, how would I reinstall that at this point? I understand the Twilight hack no longer works after v 4.0.

I thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

-SchachMeister
Re: Can Wiis with current HomeBrew update safely via Nintendo's update?
November 05, 2009 06:36AM
It is safe to update.

To reinstall it, just run Bannerbomb and us it to load The Hackmii Installer.
November 06, 2009 04:58AM
Thanks, Bannerbomb looks most useful. So no game disc needed, this is great.

Will the current Nintendo update take out my HomeBrew channel then? Or will it just break Hackmii but leave Homebrew?

One question however, the newest Bannerbomb version says it is for Wii Menu 4.2 ONLY. Once I do Nintendo's update, won't I be upgraded to 4.3 or something? Or does it still work just fine?

Thanks again!
November 06, 2009 05:08AM
No, 4.2 is the latest update.

Yes, I believe it will delete your HBC/DVDx/Bootmii, but it doesn't matter at all. You can just reinstall everything through Bannerbomb.

Once you do update, you use the 4.2 only Bannerbomb, and then run the SD card menu.

Hope that helps. :)
November 06, 2009 05:22AM
He's using HBC 1.0.6, it won't be deleted.
November 06, 2009 06:02AM
WikiFSX
He's using HBC 1.0.6, it won't be deleted.
Oh, yeah. Forget about that. :/
November 09, 2009 04:25PM
You already have the latest System Menu so you should have no problems.
Also, the shop channel update, as far as I know, is just a channel update once you have 4.2 installed so it's not hear as big of an update as a full System Menu update.

I upgraded my system to 4.2 last weekend and everything went just fine.
I think the case of update bricking Wii's has been blown out of proportion.
November 16, 2009 03:22AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to update the Wii using Nintendo's update, to the latest version, and I did not loose a thing. (Because I already had the latest Homebrew installed :-)

Once again, I have the best of both worlds. Now to download my free NES game....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login