Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How To rip and disassemble a (GC) game and find the interesting parts of code?

Posted by daniel_c_w 
How To rip and disassemble a (GC) game and find the interesting parts of code?
December 19, 2008 08:35AM
In another thread about using the Kongabongos it was mentioned that we do not know how to distinguish between the bongos and a normal GC-Controller.
Somebody said we should look at the code of a game and reverse engineer.

So how do I:
- get the executable from the disc? (I own the originals)
- disassemble it on a Windows-running-machine?
- find the code that handles the input?

The last part actually seems to be the hardest one for me. I know no strategies to quickly understand assembler code.
I can read basic x86 assembler though and I guess the concepts are the same on the PowerPC-architecture.

bonus question: if ripping wii-discs harder? (sans the encryption)
Re: How To rip and disassemble a (GC) game and find the interesting parts of code?
December 19, 2008 07:42PM
bump!

nobody can help me?
Re: How To rip and disassemble a (GC) game and find the interesting parts of code?
December 20, 2008 03:09AM
First you might want to see if GCN games distinguish between the bongos and controllers. I think you can play them all with a GC pad.
December 20, 2008 03:29AM
agoaj
First you might want to see if GCN games distinguish between the bongos and controllers. I

They do. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga both can see a difference between bongos and a normal pad.
But as far as I know Gamcube/Wii homebrew can't.

That's the whole point of the practice:
Get the ability to write code that can detect a bongo controller.

Of course I also want to know how to take apart Gamecube games in general.
December 20, 2008 04:53AM
there is ripping software for homebrew which, I beleive, works for GC discs too...one copies parts to an SD card, and the other over a WiFi.
December 20, 2008 11:58AM
I posted the Bongo problem a while ago in the coding section, but I also managed to figure out if there's a Bongo or a Standard controller connected, although it might not be the best way. For example I'm not sure how this code works correctly with anything other than a standard wired GC controller or a Bongo connected to the console.

int i;
u32 inputBuffer[2];

// Check wether a GC controller is a bongo or not.
for ( i = 0; i < 3; i++ )
{
	if ( ( SI_GetType(i) & SI_GC_STANDARD ) && ( SI_GetResponse( i, &inputBuffer ) ) )
	{
		if ( !( inputBuffer[0] & 0x00800000 ) )	// This is a Bongo controller.
			printf( "Standard GC Controller \n" );

else		// This is a something else.
			printf( "Not a Bongo Controller \n");
	}
}
December 20, 2008 01:35PM
DrLucky
there is ripping software for homebrew which, I beleive, works for GC discs too...

And after I did that, how do I identify the executable?
December 20, 2008 05:38PM
I'm not sure...look around on the Dolphin emulator forums perhaps... maybe the devs will know something...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login