Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repair question

Posted by Shant66 
Repair question
May 03, 2010 12:58AM
My nintendo wii's warranty is over, if I send it to nintendo for repair and they detect homebrew will they still fix it for a fee? Or will they send me back my wii without fixing it? Also does anyone know how much it will cost?
Re: Repair question
May 03, 2010 04:56AM
Nintendo will refuse to repair it if they find any traces of homebrew. Depending on what all you installed, it may difficult to remove all traces of homebrew. You may find this useful.
May 03, 2010 08:29AM
That's odd, I thought they would just charge extra for repairs... well I hope nothing goes wrong :/
May 05, 2010 03:27AM
Disregard this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 01:17PM by WikiFSX.
May 05, 2010 04:33AM
It is more likely that they will refuse to repair it, as was mentioned here.
May 07, 2010 03:55AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 03:55AM by mauifrog.
June 01, 2010 01:05AM
You probably shouldn't bother to send it in for repairs if there is nothing seriously wrong with your system. I made that mistake because Wii Fit + wouldn't load and they swapped out my DVD drive with a crappy one that can't load DVD's. Not sure why someone on here didn't warn me at the time but hey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 01:06AM by jlenoconel.
June 07, 2010 04:56AM
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue. I dropped my wii today and it has been damaged, there is no video output. I got it used from gamestop so there is no warranty, and I am fine shipping it to nintendo to have repaired(75$). At this point I can no longer remove the homebrew channel, so if I do send to Nintendo for repair, will they refuse to fix it if they see HBC? I have homebrew installed but nothing else "funny".

Shant, can you tell me how it worked out for you?

--R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 04:57AM by RGB9K.
June 07, 2010 05:34AM
There is a good chance that they will not be able to tell that you had homebrew, but there is no reasonable way we can know for sure.
June 07, 2010 06:15AM
jbc:

Thanks for your fast reply. However if they do get my wii to turn on at all, they will see HBC on the first page of my system menu. I think I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, and will end up shipping to Nintendo. I just hope that since this is a hardware problem that they fix it and ship it back without poking around too much. I read the story about the alleged massive fee for using "illegal software", and the story about refusing to work on a hacked wii whatsoever and hope I have better luck.

Does anyone know if they will they copy the data and send you a replacement if they are unable to fix or if they find HBC? I'd rather not throw away the 75$ + shipping if they are going to blow me off.

--R
June 07, 2010 06:41AM
Regardless of hardware failure, if there is ANY trace of homebrew, they WILL return it to you. If they fixed the problem and then found the homebrew (which is unlikely, since they have a special tool to scan the Wii), then they would most likely inform you that they will NOT return the Wii, since it is faulty and the fact that it has homebrew.
June 07, 2010 06:45AM
Mestizo:

Are you sure? It would seem unethical of them to take my money and then essentially reposess my hardware. If they refuse to return mine will I get another unit instead?

I havent actually done the repair order, but now I'm worried.
June 07, 2010 06:56AM
I highly doubt they would keep the Wii.. If anything they'd remove the "unauthorized software" and return the Wii. Or, if they have a way of detecting homebrew before the repair, they'd just return it without repairing it if homebrew was found.
But I don't think they would detect it, since this is an obvious hardware issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 06:58AM by bg4545.
June 07, 2010 06:58AM
Either they will replace your wii or they will return it without performing a repair. If they don't repair it, they will not charge you.
June 07, 2010 07:01AM
OK, I guess I'm going to do it, since my wii is broken and I have bought stuff on the wiishop. Thanks everyone for their help and I'll post back my experience when I get it back.
June 25, 2010 06:45PM
OK I got it back. I'll make this brief since there seem to be more important things going on.
I got a wii back but I don't think its the one I sent in, I guess the hardware in mine was *wrecked*. it had a new serial #, an updated boot2 (no loading bootmii that way) and photo channel 1.1-b. The menus were also in french, and I had to reconfigure everything.
Thankfully my wiiware titles were able to be redownloaded, but the ones I had stored on SD could not be run. Nor my songs in Guitar Hero. Had to redownload everything. Also all my save data was gone.
Maybe the lesson is, if you have to send your wii to nintendo for repairs and it has HBC, make sure it is REALLY BROKEN and they'll give you a new one with your wiishop data at least.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login