Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Update 4.3

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Wii Update 4.3
July 29, 2010 07:06PM
If you can install it as boot2, its probably a good idea to do so, as this gives you practically unbeatable brick protection. If you can't install it as boot2, well its already installed as IOS (HackMii Installer 0.7 automatically installs it as IOS on boot and then uses it to install HBC and if possible BootMii/boot2)
July 30, 2010 12:40AM
HBC 1.0.7 has pretty set up the need for apps to update their code. Most of them are loaded with IOS61, and do not work properly. I believe it's because the former HBC reloaded to IOS36 by itself before launching an app, didn't it? So most apps would benefit from this and wouldn't manually reload IOS36 again.

I've tried to install Priiloader again, but the installation kept failing because IOS61 was being loading, instead of IOS36. So I loaded it through Loadmii, and IOS36 was loaded. Wiimote sync was broken, though. I had to install Priiloader using a GC controller. After the installation, the app froze when trying to return to loader. Priiloader was successfully installed, anyway.

I'm curious about this. What does HBC 1.0.7 do to make these apps so out of order? I used HBC to load Loadmii, is that the reason Loadmii couldn't perfectly launch Priiloader? Is IOS61 so bad for launching homebrew?
July 30, 2010 04:09PM
IOS61 shouldn't be loaded for homebrew unless you have the no IOS reload tag in the meta.xml. It should reload to IOS36 for all homebrew without that tag AFAIK.
July 30, 2010 04:14PM
Unfortunately, it isn't reloading to another IOS here, even without the tag. I don't know if there's something causing HBC to do that, a bug or some other thing. Maybe the devs need to change their code, since some apps that manually reload an IOS seems to work fine, like Dop-Mii, for instance.
July 30, 2010 04:40PM
Hmm, maybe they made it that it now reloads to the current IOS before loading homebrew, instead of to IOS36?
July 30, 2010 05:17PM
I think the devs just "hitched a ride" with HBC reloading to IOS36, so the app didn't bother to do it itself. And HBC seems to be acting different, doesn't reloading to IOS36.

It's kinda strange, since it would render useless the "no_ios_reload" tag. I really don't know the details, I'm pretty noob at this. Does bushing already know there's a case where this happens? He probably has a much better explanation then we do.
July 30, 2010 06:16PM
This is how I understood the whole issue (please someone more competent correct me if i'm wrong)

By default, homebrew compiled with the old libogc automatically reloads IOS36 on startup (if not found it uses IOS35, IOS34, etc..) so what the loader did before is trashed anyway, be it last HBC that reloads (or keeps) IOS61 in memory. I think that the code that has been used to reload IOS so far in libogc had some flaws or at least , did not work everytime or under specific conditions (timings ?), which explain why sometime, applications would hang on startup. Some applications tried to fix that by disabling the "IOS reload" done by libogc on startup (basically, you declare a function in your code that "override" libogc startup function), so they use the IOS that was setup by the apploader... providing this one was also loaded correctly though.

Now, the new libogc / HBC is going to fix that: the application (well, libogc) does NOT reload any IOS anymore, it's done by the HBC which use improved code and the code to reload IOS (the same that HBC is using ?) has been recently improved. I have not yet encountered any black screen issue so far anyway.

about using IOS36 or IOS61:
most apps should not rely on a specific IOS version as I'm sure they all provide the minimal services required for the application to run (wiimote, SD/USB access). Best proof is that HBC is homebrew as well and is running on IOS61 without any issues. If an application works with IOS36 but not with IOS61, it's most likely because IOS36 was patched to add "unofficial" features required by the application.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 06:18PM by ekeeke.
July 30, 2010 07:41PM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, ekeeke. That makes sense, but there is, at least, one example of application that stopped working using IOS61, even not using any patched IOS, is sysCheck 1.6.2. Worked fine until HBC 1.0.7. Wiimote loses sync using IOS61, but hangs at about 60% of the process. Using IOS36 (loaded by Loadmii) doesn't make the wiimote lose sync, but hangs up at the same point.

Can someone else test sysCheck 1.6.2 with the new HBC?
August 02, 2010 12:45AM
Aobx

WiiMC installer can use any fakesigned IOS, but since IOS36 is the default one (not the only one) for this kind of procedure, you could simply fakesign IOS36 and use it. Dop-Mii has the option to do it for you, just select it and the necessary files will be downloaded from the Internet. With an offline Wii, you'd need to have IOS36-64-v3351.wad in the root of your SD card. This wad can be downloaded through NUS Downloader.[/quote]

Thanks a bunch Aobx it works now, wasn't that hard really as I thought it was gonna be. Now I got HBC updated, got my 202 installed for wiimc now I need to if I decide to got to 4.3 I will be all set.
August 02, 2010 09:48PM
SifJar
If you can install it as boot2, its probably a good idea to do so, as this gives you practically unbeatable brick protection. If you can't install it as boot2, well its already installed as IOS (HackMii Installer 0.7 automatically installs it as IOS on boot and then uses it to install HBC and if possible BootMii/boot2)
Ok so I'm transferring to SD card, but I've now got bad block markers which I think is ok, but I've also got an ECC failure(corrected)for page 156800, ECC failure(corrected) for page 156801 and ECC failure(uncorrectable) for page 15 with a large black block after it.
It now it seems to of just frozen so what do I do now and what does this mean?
August 03, 2010 02:24AM
bluelion
SifJar
Ok so I'm transferring to SD card, but I've now got bad block markers which I think is ok, but I've also got an ECC failure(corrected)for page 156800, ECC failure(corrected) for page 156801 and ECC failure(uncorrectable) for page 15 with a large black block after it.
It now it seems to of just frozen so what do I do now and what does this mean?
A few bootmii bugs were fixed with hackmii installer 0.7b, one of the fixed bugs is that freeze with uncorrectable ECC fail. See the hackmii comment: [hackmii.com]
August 03, 2010 09:39AM
yellowstar
A few bootmii bugs were fixed with hackmii installer 0.7b, one of the fixed bugs is that freeze with uncorrectable ECC fail. See the hackmii comment: [hackmii.com]
Thanks, worked a treat.
August 10, 2010 11:06AM
I have a question that hasn't been asked yet which makes me think it may be taboo to ask here, but I will go ahead anyway and see what happens since it is really the only reason I want a modded Wii. Now that hackmii 0.7 is out and I can install HBC using smash stack or indiana pwns (smash stack is better by the way, does not need to access system saves, only the sd card directly), will I still be able to use trucha bug patch or some other patch so that I can run homebrew like USB Loader GX? I know a lot of homebrew works with just HBC, but with other Wii versions I always needed to do the trucha patch to run USB loaders or any backup loader for that matter after I installed HBC. WiiBrew claims that 4.3U update has killed use of the truchabug patcher. Is this true, and if so is there another way to run backup loaders like usb loader gx?
I bought a used Wii recently and the fool I bought it from had it updated. I had no idea 4.3 had even been released so I didn't even consider checking for that when I bought it. Maybe I should just trade it to someone who doesn't care about modding their older version Wii...

any help is much appreciated, and if this post is taboo, kindly let me know and I won't post on it again.
August 10, 2010 11:15AM
oops, sorry, I just read the forum rules about discussing backups and loaders and cIOS, etc.
disregard my last post and please don't "bootmii" (haha) from the forum.

I didn't think use of backups or system moodification was illegal if you are only playing backups of your own stuff, or using loaders to run video and music files from usb. in Canada it isn't illegal, hence why nobody ever gets arrested for use of legal backups.

again, sorry though.

I have a new question now: is there a homebrew app I can use to load media files from usb/disc with just HBC (without any bug patcher)?
August 10, 2010 01:54PM
You can use WiiMC to load media, but you need to install IOS202. Doing so requires a patched IOS, use TBR to get it. See my post in your other topic for more info.
August 16, 2010 06:41AM
Aobx
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, ekeeke. That makes sense, but there is, at least, one example of application that stopped working using IOS61, even not using any patched IOS, is sysCheck 1.6.2. Worked fine until HBC 1.0.7. Wiimote loses sync using IOS61, but hangs at about 60% of the process. Using IOS36 (loaded by Loadmii) doesn't make the wiimote lose sync, but hangs up at the same point.

Can someone else test sysCheck 1.6.2 with the new HBC?

I encountered the same problem today. I think its trying to test BootMii as IOS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login