Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I Am In A Pickle - Please Help!

Posted by TurboLung 
I Am In A Pickle - Please Help!
July 01, 2010 12:20PM
Hi, can anyone help with my predicament; I want to keep my HomeBrew, but also want to update my Wii. I cannot play new Wii games because they all have inbuilt updates on them! Is there anyway to play my new Wii games without updating the Wii when the disc ask me?

What is the point of having the HomeBrew channel when you can't play new Wii games?

Any ideas?

Thank you
Re: I Am In A Pickle - Please Help!
July 01, 2010 01:10PM
Updates on games are fine, they don't install new system menu versions that block homebrew (only NSMB installs 4.2 I think, and that one is also hacked without much problems). Else GeckoOS can be used to load games without installing updates.
July 01, 2010 01:14PM
NSMB installs 4.1, with a load of 4.2 IOS actually.

But SMG2 may install 4.2 I think, its newer. Still, 4.2 is the newest update on game discs, and provided you have the latest HBC (v1.0.6), it will not do anything to homebrew.
July 01, 2010 02:35PM
So, do you mean that I could put in Sin & Punishment: Star Successor for example and when it says update - I do it - and it won't wipe my HomeBrew?
July 01, 2010 03:43PM
Isn't that a channel? I'd ignore the update request and just use GeckoOS to launch it.
July 01, 2010 04:19PM
Arikado: Star Successor/Successor of the Skies is the sequel (different names for different regions). It was recently released for the Wii.

Anyway, the update is confirmed to be 4.2 on S&P AFAIK, so it should be safe. If you are paranoid, use Gecko OS to load the game, bypassing the update, or else patch the System Menu to bypass updates.
July 02, 2010 12:30AM
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor was released alongside E3 and the 4.3 update. Most likely, all current disks on the market were printed long before E3 started, so it should have 4.2. Next game that should have 4.3 would most likely be Metroid: Other M.
July 02, 2010 04:47AM
I've read that WiiXplorer can access dvd data and you can check the updates inside the disc. Does this really work? If it does, then you can check if you should upgrade or not.
July 04, 2010 02:42PM
Okay, I may be a NoOb, but, how do you load Wii Disc games using Gecko OS?

Thanks in advance...
July 04, 2010 04:20PM
Oh, okay - I worked it out. AWESOME! This is all I wanted - I can load Wii games through Gecko OS without updating my Wii! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Thanks all :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login