Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extracting Saves/Mii's from Nand Backup

Posted by ireknole 
Extracting Saves/Mii's from Nand Backup
July 17, 2010 07:31PM
I recently bricked my Wii and now have a working Wii after doing the Nand reformat. I'm currently trying to restore my Wii saves and Mii's from my extracted back-up nand, but not having much luck.

I found this post, [forum.wiibrew.org], for how to extract Wii saves and Mii's, however, it's very vague and I'm having a hard time understanding exactly how to do it.

Unfortunately, this post is more than a year old, and the person that figured it out hasn't posted on it since 2009, so I don't think he/she will respond. I figured I could make a new thread to see if anyone has ever done this.

I'm using the same tools that they said to use on that post.

I only have one wii save that comes up with the wii installer even though I put almost 5 of the wii saves in the game save folder. I get a -106 error when I try to restore this save, even though I have a save file for the game on the Wii. I guess I have a few questions about this process:

1. Which file is the game save in (the banner.bin or the other file that's in the data folder)?
2. Where exactly do I put the file to have the save installer recognize it?
3. Why am I getting the error message?
4. Where are my vc saves and do I use the same process to restore them?

Another problem is the Mii extraction. I opened the RFL_DB.dat file in a hex editor and I see the Mii's in it, but I'm not sure how to break it up, and the wiki given is not very noob friendly (I can read most of the code, but I'm not sure how to figure out where one Mii ends and the other begins).

Also, I have several save files that are saved to the Mii with my name in it. Will these saves be transferred if I can get that Mii restored? (I can see a super mario galaxy save in the RFL_DB.dat file).

If anyone has successfully done this, I'd appreciate some help. Thanks!
Re: Extracting Saves/Mii's from Nand Backup
July 17, 2010 11:22PM
OK, I'll try and explain it to you (having never done it myself :P)

In your NAND dump there should be a folder called "title". Inside that, there should be a folder called "00010000". Inside that, there should be a bunch of folders, each with a couple of files inside (data.bin, banner.bin, possibly more).

Make a folder called "savegames" on the root of your SD card, then copy all the folders from title\00010000 in the NAND dump to the savegames folder on the SD card. Then add "00010000" at the start of the name of each folder.

Run Savegame Manager MOD and attempt to install the saves.

If you still get errors, or all the saves don't show up, I have no idea what to do next, sorry.

As for VC, I guess they're probably included in the above steps. If not, I don't know, sorry.

As for Miis: I'm afraid I can't help there. But I'd say if you get the save restored, and the Mii restored, it should all work nicely.

EDIT: OK, I had a bit of a look. Looks like each Mii is 752 (0x2f0) bytes long, and starts with RNCD (0x524E4344), so find RNCD and select from the R and select it along with the next 751 bytes. Copy that, make a new file and paste, you should have an individual Mii. Save it as a .mii file. These can then be installed with Mii Installer. However, first you should extract a Mii made on the console with Mii Extractor, open it in a hex editor and copy everything from 0x1C through 0x1F, and paste it into the same location in each Mii you take from the NAND dump before installing.

I hope this makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 11:27PM by SifJar.
July 19, 2010 07:15PM
Thanks SifJar! Unfortunately, I'm still having problems. I copied all the folders from title\00010000 in the NAND dump to the savegames folder on the SD card. Then added "00010000" at the start of the name of each folder. Nothing showed up. I also tried copying the files in the data folder to the savegames folder with the same result.

Also, the Wii says it installed one mii ok, but I'm not sure what mii that was, and it's not showing up in the Mii channel. Also, since I'm not creating these mii's on a different wii (it's the same wii as before), do I have to do the edit before I put them on?

Is there anyway that I can send you my RFL_DB.dat file so that you can highlight where one Mii is? I think I split it up correctly, but I'm not 100% sure. (0x2f0 was 3 lines long in my hex editor).

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it! :)
July 19, 2010 07:52PM
Im not sure if that is legal...anyway, I don't know I'd do much better than you. Three lines sounds about right (depening on the hex editor and the size of the window of course). Try going to the wiki page above and downloading the Mii posted there, and opening it and checking if its the same size.

And no, the edit should be unnecessary in this case as its the same Wii.

As for the savegames, I have no idea, I have never actually used either tool, and have no idea how they work :(

EDIT: OK, here's a little tutorial on how you should be able to do it in hex editor "XVI32" (google it, its pretty good IMO)

1. Find the first byte of first Mii (R i.e. 0x52)
2. Goto Address>Jump Width... and select Hexadecimal and type in 2EF (2F0 - 1)
3. Press Ctrl+B
4. Press F5
5. Press Ctrl+B again
6. Press Ctrl+H
7. Press Ctrl+B (last time)
8. Make a new file
9. Goto Edit>Clipboard>Paste from hex string
10. Repeat for each Mii (don't need to redo Jump Width).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 08:00PM by SifJar.
July 19, 2010 11:06PM
this is a complete guess as to the savegame question, but try adding a - after 00001000.
July 20, 2010 06:15AM
:) Update!! I just solved the Wii save problem. It's pretty much what SifJar said, but I must have just misunderstood earlier.

(As an example) The save games are in \title\0010001\4e414145\data (banner.bin, EEP NSME) in the nand, and in the savegame manager it's in \savegames\00100014e414145 (banner.bin, EEP NSME).

So I basically had to put the two numbers together to make a new folder in the savegame folder on my sd card and then copy and paste the files in the data folder into that new folder.

Now I just need to work on the Mii's, but part 1 is accomplished! :)
July 20, 2010 11:53AM
Sorry, I maybe didn't make it too clear...But yeah, that's what I meant to do. Glad you got that bit fixed. Hope you work out the Miis. And did that get all your saves back, including VC etc.?
July 20, 2010 03:13PM
Yes, it's all in there. Even the saves that I thought were attached to my Mii (like Super Mario Galaxy).
July 21, 2010 09:02PM
SifJar
Im not sure if that is legal...anyway, I don't know I'd do much better than you. Three lines sounds about right (depening on the hex editor and the size of the window of course). Try going to the wiki page above and downloading the Mii posted there, and opening it and checking if its the same size.

And no, the edit should be unnecessary in this case as its the same Wii.

As for the savegames, I have no idea, I have never actually used either tool, and have no idea how they work :(

EDIT: OK, here's a little tutorial on how you should be able to do it in hex editor "XVI32" (google it, its pretty good IMO)

1. Find the first byte of first Mii (R i.e. 0x52)
2. Goto Address>Jump Width... and select Hexadecimal and type in 2EF (2F0 - 1)
3. Press Ctrl+B
4. Press F5
5. Press Ctrl+B again
6. Press Ctrl+H
7. Press Ctrl+B (last time)
8. Make a new file
9. Goto Edit>Clipboard>Paste from hex string
10. Repeat for each Mii (don't need to redo Jump Width).

I tried this, but it seemed to copy too much (I was looking at the different mii names in the code to see about where it would start and end and this method copied about 5 names). Regardless, I took what I pasted and saved it as a .mii file and put it in my "miis" folder on my sd card. The only thing that shows is some goblygook and then the name of my first mii (not even what I named my file). The program says it read it okay, but there is no extra mii in my mii channel. Any ideas?
July 21, 2010 10:18PM
Huh, that sounds weird. Sure you typed in the correct amount of byte for the jump width? And you chose "Paste from hex string" (not "paste")? Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

EDIT: I took the miidata from the wiki page on miis, padded it at the end with a load of 0x00 bytes, and then followed my method. Worked perfectly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 10:22PM by SifJar.
October 06, 2010 07:51PM
Hi SifJar

I am hoping you can provide some assistance.

My wii with 4,0 menu was replaced with a wii with a 4.1 menu . I was able to extract saves files from a nand backup from old wii and restore most of the save game files to the new wii using SaveGame manager. However Kdz Crazy golf gave a error message 106.

When I try to restore the mii's using mii installer 1.o it gives error 100 . Downloaded and used 1.1 . using 1.1 it says there installing okay , however when I go to Mii parade they are not there. It will install a mii from the new wii giving multiple copies of that mii . However I can't see the MII's from the Old Wii nor can I see the the test example Mii give in your example. When wii sports is run it says that MII's in player list have been deleted from Mii parade and will be deleted, pres A to continue.

I extracted a Mii from the new system folowing your tutorial and replaced from c to f

Note that the first four of old MII start with RNOD not RNCD and extract from newWii have something else eg ifirst few n hex
52 4E 4F 44 00 02 00 53 00 6C 00 69 00 6D 00 20 00 4A 00 69 00 6D 00 00 00 00 40 40 81 DF B9 EF

I am assuming that if I get the MII's restored that the scores and things in Wii Sports and wii fitness will also be available.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
SifJar
OK, I'll try and explain it to you (having never done it myself :P)

In your NAND dump there should be a folder called "title". Inside that, there should be a folder called "00010000". Inside that, there should be a bunch of folders, each with a couple of files inside (data.bin, banner.bin, possibly more).

Make a folder called "savegames" on the root of your SD card, then copy all the folders from title\00010000 in the NAND dump to the savegames folder on the SD card. Then add "00010000" at the start of the name of each folder.

Run Savegame Manager MOD and attempt to install the saves.

If you still get errors, or all the saves don't show up, I have no idea what to do next, sorry.

As for VC, I guess they're probably included in the above steps. If not, I don't know, sorry.

As for Miis: I'm afraid I can't help there. But I'd say if you get the save restored, and the Mii restored, it should all work nicely.

EDIT: OK, I had a bit of a look. Looks like each Mii is 752 (0x2f0) bytes long, and starts with RNCD (0x524E4344), so find RNCD and select from the R and select it along with the next 751 bytes. Copy that, make a new file and paste, you should have an individual Mii. Save it as a .mii file. These can then be installed with Mii Installer. However, first you should extract a Mii made on the console with Mii Extractor, open it in a hex editor and copy everything from 0x1C through 0x1F, and paste it into the same location in each Mii you take from the NAND dump before installing.

I hope this makes sense.
October 06, 2010 08:29PM
Sorry, I really have no idea how to help you. I have no actual experience in this sort of this, just theoretical :)
October 05, 2011 05:45PM
I wrote a utility to extract the game saves from an extracted nand. The ability to grab the Mii's is coming soon.

http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.php/3171-NAND-Gamesave-Restore

btw, thank you for this thread. It helped me figure out the process.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 05:47PM by Krafter.
October 19, 2011 11:02AM
you cant just copy the miis 1 at a time and paste them into the file. it has a crc16 checksum. even changing 1 byte in a mii or adding a new one means you must fix the checksum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 11:05AM by giantpune.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login