Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can someone remind me why custom channels besides HBC are illegal?

Posted by icefire 
Can someone remind me why custom channels besides HBC are illegal?
December 23, 2008 08:41PM
I want to know so I can possibly make ones that aren't...
Re: Can someone remind me why custom channels besides HBC are illegal?
December 23, 2008 09:13PM
Every custom channel is just a channel with the inside gutted out and replaced. The custom channel still contains copyrighted code. For example take the earthbound wads floating around. The people who made the wad simply removed the rom from a supernes wad and replaced the rom with the earthbound rom. So the emulator, which was made by nintendo, is still in the wad and is a piece of copyrighted material. The banner also contains copyrighted nintendo code.

The homebrew channel on the other hand, is created from scratch using brand new code that is not inside any other channel. Which is why it is a legal channel.

So you can't make legal channels. Beacause all of tools out there only let you use the "gut and relpace" method. Also reffered to as "creating an injected channel".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 09:28PM by Arikado.
December 23, 2008 09:21PM
That's not strictly true... It is possible to make legal channels, as that is my current project. But there are no tools out there already to do it.

In order to make a legal channel you need the following -

1. A banner creator (you can't rip an existing one)
2. A NAND loader (not the Nintendo one)
3. Wii homebrew application/game

Source code for my banner creator has been released, however, it is massively unfinished, and serves only to disassemble existing banners, and provide a code framework for creating new ones.

Marcan has written a NAND loader, but as far as I am aware, there has been no public release.

The trouble is, most people who talk about channels aren't actually building them from scratch (otherwise we'd see a couple of banner tools and NAND loaders public), and that is why they are frowned upon here

Here are my channel creation threads:
[forum.wiibrew.org]
[forum.wiibrew.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 09:25PM by whodares.
December 23, 2008 09:44PM
couldn't we "gut" the HBC and replace it with Wiibrew apps? that would be legal, no?
December 23, 2008 09:55PM
I guess that depends on the license Team Twiizers provide :-)
December 23, 2008 10:00PM
whodares
I guess that depends on the license Team Twiizers provide :-)

? I thought HBC was freeware..

oh, wait, nevermind.. that is where the issue with homebreware and wiiunlocker ect... were having problems.. free but licensed software...

so, Team twiizers, could we spread "gutted" HBCs?
December 23, 2008 10:08PM
The currently available "banner-making software" is just replacing the TPL files and repacking....so can you make a homebrew channel (just one) then "inject" the new banner (I mean like making a completely homebrew channel but with the same specifications as the ones used in the current banner-making software)?
December 23, 2008 10:39PM
icefire
The currently available "banner-making software" is just replacing the TPL files and repacking....so can you make a homebrew channel (just one) then "inject" the new banner (I mean like making a completely homebrew channel but with the same specifications as the ones used in the current banner-making software)?
No, the banner making software uses copyrighted code.
December 23, 2008 11:38PM
Really? It seemed pretty homebrew to me (aka would nintendo really use the .NET framework?)

Edit: Arikado: I'm not sure what you mean, I mean the like "Homebrew Browser Channel" and such floating around, not 'Injected' VC games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 11:43PM by icefire.
December 23, 2008 11:44PM
Really? Maybe we're looking at different toolsets? Whodares is the real expert on this anyway, I've said to much for my little bit of experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 11:44PM by Arikado.
December 24, 2008 12:03AM
icefire

There's more to banner files than just the TPL textures. Granted not much more. There's the audio, and there's the animation data. Technically I suppose if you had your own banner tools you could "replicate" the animations, and same can be said about "replicating" the layout and style of your banners. Audio would be a bit harder to justify

Most of the illegal side comes with distributing copyright code, such as the NAND loader, and if you've done a ROM injection, the emulator bound to the channel, and the ROM, obviously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 12:04AM by whodares.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login