Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about saving and restoring save files

Posted by TheManuel 
Question about saving and restoring save files
November 01, 2010 07:43PM
Hello.

My then, 4 year old son, once deleted my Mario Kart save file, just clicking around.
I had to go through the whole game again to recover my unlockables.

If I back up my Mario Kart savefile with Savegame Extractor, will I be able to restore it later with Savegame Installer without the need for an unofficial IOS or anything of that sort? Will I still have my same online win record and friend list?
I know I can't use the Wii's built-in savefile manager because Nintendo online games are not supported by it.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 07:43PM by TheManuel.
Re: Question about saving and restoring save files
November 01, 2010 11:04PM
Savegame Extractor/Installer should work even with the latest IOSes. However, neither of these applications seem to work when launched through the latest HBC (or so I hear).
November 01, 2010 11:08PM
Thank you.
Is there any other way to launch it?
November 01, 2010 11:28PM
Loadmii might work. Otherwise, you could install an older HBC (I don't know which was the last revision that would load Savegame extractor/installer). Since it has a different title ID, HBC 1.0.8 can be installed at the same time as an older revision, so you will not need to switch between HBC revisions whenever you want to use such old applications. Of course, you will need system menu 4.1 or lower (or a newer system menu patched to remove the HAXX check), and possibly a downgraded IOS, depending you which revision of the HBC you are installing and which system menu version you have.

It would be much easier to use SaveGame Manager MOD. SaveGame Manager MOD requires an IOS with NAND permissions, which you already have if you have not updated past 3.3. Otherwise, if you have updated, you can install IOS 36 v1042 with DOP-Mii (provided you are not using an "LU64+" wii), which will allow SaveGame Manager MOD to function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 11:30PM by jbc007.
November 02, 2010 01:23AM
Uff!
I guess I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it. I'm planning to make a NAND backup dump with BootMii.
Maybe there's a way to copy the files from the backup.

Thanks for all the information.
November 02, 2010 01:50AM
TheManuel
Maybe there's a way to copy the files from the backup.

There is, and I assure you that it is quite a pain. Unless you want to restore the entire NAND backup, this is by far more complicated than any other options for backing up your game save. It is quite possible that there will eventually be a game save managing application compatible with HW_AHBPROT (meaning that it does not require IOS exploits) anyway. All the same, you may want to backup your save file now. Just try to launch Savegame extractor/installer through Loadmii; this takes very little effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 01:59AM by jbc007.
November 02, 2010 01:52AM
Sounds good.
My son is better at it now, but I would like keep backups, just in case.
November 02, 2010 02:01AM
Sorry, my previous post was lacking some information. It has now been corrected.
November 02, 2010 02:03AM
I'll give LoadMii a try, since I'm already at 4.3U with HBC 1.08.
November 02, 2010 12:46PM
IIRC Savegame Extractor/Installer requires cIOS 249 to work. That's why I made Savegame Manager MOD; So people could use any IOS they wanted so long as it had NAND permissions (many older IOSs do so no patching is required unlike the original programs).

Having said all this, it's entirely possible (but extremely difficult) to write an application which doesn't need any IOS (or IOS at all for that matter) to transfer savegames. I guess there's a slim chance one might exist by the time you're ready to go through with this.
November 02, 2010 05:37PM
Thanks.
So if I've updated to 4.3, chances are I don't have a compatible IOS anymore, correct?
November 02, 2010 06:04PM
Arikado
IIRC Savegame Extractor/Installer requires cIOS 249 to work. That's why I made Savegame Manager MOD; So people could use any IOS they wanted so long as it had NAND permissions (many older IOSs do so no patching is required unlike the original programs).

That was Savegame Manager. Savegame Extractor/Installer require the use of the game disc, thereby getting the necessary permissions without IOS exploits.

TheManual
So if I've updated to 4.3, chances are I don't have a compatible IOS anymore, correct?

There is no question about it. You do not have an IOS with the necessary exploits if you have updated in the past two years (unless you made certain IOS modifications, which, obviously, you would know about). After all, the updates had to do something, and they certainly haven't been adding any useful features.
November 02, 2010 06:22PM
Thanks for the clarification.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login