Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii games can be patched????

Posted by NintendoFreak 
Wii games can be patched????
November 20, 2010 06:48AM
Call of Duty: Black Ops is getting a patch that will fix some stuff, more info: [www.callofduty.com]

How exactly could they do this??

Does this mean that Nintendo could patch games like Other M, Brawl, etc??
Re: Wii games can be patched????
November 20, 2010 06:59AM
Maybe not Nintendo (or they would have by now), it may just be a feature of COD. I'm not sure how they're gonna implement it or if it's even a patch for the game. It may just be issues server side or something.
November 20, 2010 07:04AM
bg4545
Maybe not Nintendo (or they would have by now), it may just be a feature of COD. I'm not sure how they're gonna implement it or if it's even a patch for the game. It may just be issues server side or something.

Guitar Hero 5 "checks for updates" every time I connect to the store.

I also read somewhere that the 2 online games that the GameCube had got patches, and using those patches is how the GameCube got hacked, idk if this was really how it got hacked, because I know nothing of Homebrew on the Gamecube.
November 20, 2010 07:13AM
Well I'm not sure, but I really don't see how any current Wii games could be patched unless they were specifically made to do so.
November 20, 2010 05:26PM
Unless a game had built in code to load a patch on-the-fly from the SD card or the save file, it would be impossible to patch a game. It is most likely server side fixes I reckon.
November 21, 2010 02:53AM
Could the patch be stored in a save file, then loaded every time, or would that not work at all. Then again, if the the save file was deleted, so would the patch.
SifJar
It is most likely server side fixes I reckon
If it was server side, then why would the wii need to be informed about it?
November 21, 2010 02:11PM
g_man
Could the patch be stored in a save file, then loaded every time, or would that not work at all. Then again, if the the save file was deleted, so would the patch.

The game would have to have been programmed to look for patches in the save file, otherwise, putting one in the savefile won't magically make it get applied.

SifJar
It is most likely server side fixes I reckon

I have no idea what you mean by this.
November 21, 2010 09:05PM

g_man

I have no idea what you mean by this.
Oh, I meant that if the server was being updated, then why would the wii care?
November 22, 2010 03:06AM
It's not the first time it's been done for a wii game either (saving patches to the savefile and applying them at runtime), despite the propaganda being spouted by the game's fans.
November 22, 2010 08:23PM
What other games have done it?
November 22, 2010 10:23PM
One thing that comes to mind us the Wii's limited space. If the patches were in a savefile wouldn't it take up a lot of space?
November 22, 2010 11:10PM
Depends on how big the patch is obviously. If its a minor patch, it shouldn't be too large, although I'd say it is not an ideal practice, although its nice to know some developers have left themselves a safety net so to speak. The one game I have heard of having a "game breaking" glitch (Metroid: Other M) clearly didn't have that safety net.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login