Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD Card is gone... How do I get e new one to work?

Posted by doctorpants 
SD Card is gone... How do I get e new one to work?
December 22, 2010 07:17PM
Hello everyone.

Years ago I installed the Homebrew Channel with the Twilight Princes Hack. I know the last time I updated the Wii firmware it was on 3.3E. Well, I went to use the machine and the SD card is gone. Kids maybe. Anyway, can I put a new SD card in there with all the latest hacks? Or do I need to update to newer Wii firmware first? I have looked around but am having trouble finding info about this. I am a little worried about turning the machine on. What are the steps to remedy this? TIA
Re: SD Card is gone... How do I get e new one to work?
December 22, 2010 07:59PM
As long as you still have the homebrew channel still installed, then you don't need to worry. You just have to put your apps back on the SD card. If you want to upgrade to a new wii firmware, then just run the latest hackmii installer through the homebrew channel.
If you don't still have the homebrew channel, then if your still on 3.3 you can use bannerbomb to install it. otherwise use the indiana pwns exploit to install it.
Changing the SD card you use doesn't affect homebrew, except that if you had bootmii, you will have to run the installer and get the SD card files on it again.
December 22, 2010 11:24PM
Thank you so much! I will give it a go. Have a great holiday.
December 22, 2010 11:33PM
BTW: I have the homebrew channel but I can't seem to download anything from it. I just get a blank page. Clicking the home button I see about, back, launch bootmii, exit to system menu. Bootmii won't let me do anything.

So, to clarify:

What software should I load back onto my sd card? Which versions?

Just load it on the card and start it up?

Sorry, I did this awhile ago and haven't followed the scene.

edit: I would like to upgrade so I can play the new games. I really don't want to brick it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 11:36PM by doctorpants.
December 22, 2010 11:46PM
the homebrew channel is blank because you have no apps on your SD card. It isn't anything more than a channel from which to launch the stuff on your sd card (well, it is more than that, but for the purposes of this discussion...)

So go to wiibrew.org and download all the apps you want again. and put em on your SD card. in the following format:

SD://apps/name_of_game/boot.dol (and other optional files like a png and xml file)

you can also put the new hackmii installer (v1.0.8) on there too and use it to install the latest Homebrew channel.

THen you can do the official nintendo update and you'll be good to go!
December 23, 2010 12:27AM
Ok. I am getting it now I think. I made an apps folder in the root of the SD and added the homebrew browser. Now I need to add the Hackmii to the folder too.

I'll let you know.
December 23, 2010 01:05AM
I get it. What was confusing me was the SD cards purpose. I thought it was preloading every time I turned the Wii on, kind of like the hacks for GA hacks for Windows 7. Now I realize it is now just for apps and such.

It's all working, firmware update is done and all is working. You are awesome and I would buy you many beers tonight if I could.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login