Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Classic Controller and SNES - Delay

Posted by sportsnight 
Wii Classic Controller and SNES - Delay
March 31, 2011 07:15PM
I just got a couple of Classic Controllers and am running into problems when playing games.

There is a half-second delay after I press the button before the game/character reacts..

I am using SNES9x gx.

I got the controllers from eBay but the seller has sold hundreds of the same model and has 100% reputation, so I don't think both are faulty or anything.

Is this a known issue, or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

M
Re: Wii Classic Controller and SNES - Delay
April 01, 2011 12:34AM
Does the delay occur in normal games?
If you can't try it on offcial games, try this homebrew.
I haven't tested it for the classic controller, but it worked fine for my nunchuck. If there is still a delay, chances are that its a faulty controller.
April 03, 2011 12:26AM
I use the classic controller for this so I know for a fact that you have a faulty controller. Never once has that happened to me. Also try cleaning the prongs as that sometimes helps.
May 30, 2011 02:05AM
I've noticed the exact same thing and it really bugs me. If it was not for this delay, I'd be using the emul over the Virtual Console games 100% of the time, hands down. Colors are brighter with the emulator, (I assume these are the real colors from the original cartridges as they were meant to be, and that Nintendo just did some color enhancements for the VC releases?), there's configurable buttons, cheat support, 2x forwarding etc, etc..really nice options, there should be no point of using the official Virtual Console for NES/SNES emulation, only for N64.

I can confirm that when I play, for example, all the Super Mario Bros from the official VC (I'm talking about NES now, but the same goes on for the SNES games as well), the controls/buttons are just more responsive than the exact same game played using the emulator. YES, I bought my classic controller used as well, but it's working 100% fine and I'm pretty sure about that. The thing is that the delay is still present when playing NES games with the Wiimote turned horizontally! (VC vs emul).

So I was just wondering if that might be a considered option, if can be done at all, to adjust the delay time/responsiveness of the buttons, or if a workaround could be done by ourselves? (example: edit a text file, etc)

*EDIT* : Actually, it's not THAT bad of a delay, it's still playable, but ennoying. Maybe we're not even talking about the same issue, but still, there's definitely a difference in buttons response, when compared to official VC games. I've tested a lot switching back and forth from emulators to VC, using Wiimote horizontally or Classic Controller, to compare differences, and there must be something related to this, other than weak batteries and faulty controllers. I cannot confirm it being for 100% of all the games, but have tested this on Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 (NES) and Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, and a few others. I've owned all these games on their original console, and these are games I've always been playing for a long time, the last time I've played them might be a month ago or so, and I can tell there's something ennoying with them.

If others are not experiencing this, I don't know what it could be. I mean, the console's 2 weeks old, along with the controllers. Would it be possible to get an option for this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2011 03:38AM by gauth.
May 30, 2011 02:09AM
I must also add that my Wii and Wiimotes are about 2 weeks old, everything is just brand new, so no these are not the problem.
May 30, 2011 06:37PM
Well for one the classic controller plugs into the console correct? Then there won't be a delay as the wiimote transmits its data wireless and by bluetooth so there is going to be a slight delay since the classic controler is pluged in it goes right to it faster then by wireless. I have not really noticed a bad enough delay to be bothersome in any of my emulators I play. If there is a dealy I have played around it, hit your button a split second sooner so the action is timed to play right. The emulators aren't going to be just like the real deal, it emulates it so there is going to be minor issues like delay but it shouldn't be the big of a deal.
May 30, 2011 07:14PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "the classic controller plugs into the console correct?". Is there an adapter I could use to plug my Classic Controller directly into the console?

Anyway, you got a good point. It would make sense that when the controller is plugged into the wiimote, a delay is present because of the bluetooth transmission.

I understand that emulating the game just can't be as perfect as the real thing, but like I said before, would it be possible to get an option for that, would it be possible to do it? An option in the settings menu, or just manually changing the delay time (-1, 0, 1, 2) in a config file? That would just be awesome. I mean I would really need this, and I think that would be nice not only to me, but everyone could enjoy setting it to their own liking! If the big N can do this, surely there's something we could do. At least it's not impossible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2011 07:20PM by gauth.
May 30, 2011 07:20PM
Well what I mean is does the classic controller plug in to the console like the game cube controllers do, if so then there won't be a delay since it feeds the input of the controller straight into the console processor. If not then there is going to be a slight delay since it inputs from a wireless feed and takes time to send it, receive it and then process it.

I am not a coder so I don't know you if you change anything to take out the delay. Like I said before I just act a split second before a action is needed so by then when action takes place its timed right and you play around the delay.
May 30, 2011 07:44PM
Unless there's such an adapter, no we can't plug in directly to the console!

anyway, thanks for responding! Could you direct me to the right place where I could request such a thing? I can't seem to find it on their website. (maybe they don't take suggestions?) I don't want to report this as a bug since it's not, but rather a request/suggestion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2011 07:46PM by gauth.
May 30, 2011 07:55PM
You try the request forum here other than that I don't know where to go.

Oh I see how it plugs up now the classic controller plugs into the wiimote to transmit the data.
May 30, 2011 08:10PM
Thanks I'll try this :)

By the way, if you're interested in understanding what I'm talking about, just try SMB1 (NES) or SuperMarioWorld (SNES) from the VirtualConsole, then switch to the same game in the emulator, no matter what controller you're using, you're going to notice the "responsiveness" I'm talking about!
June 03, 2011 04:46PM
This is a real issue with some emulators that's always ignored but should really be addressed.

There is indeed some input lag in a lot of emulators for Wii, that causes the experience not to be as fluid as it should. Regardless of what some may think, it's not because of faulty controllers, nor because of screen lag due to bad flat TVs; I've been experiencing the same lag with plasma and CRT TVs, only in those specific emulators.

It's a shame that nobody seems to care about it, only because most people can't compare the emu with how the games behave in real hardware. It does make many games less playable, specially those where you must quickly react to what's going on.

I understand that the Wii's CPU might struggle with keeping the emus (and the sound they play) running at 100% speed without frameskipping, but other emulators like Genesis Plus don't feature this input lag (and I think it originally did), so it shouldn't be something impossible to fix.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2011 05:39AM by ICEknigh7.
June 03, 2011 05:13PM
+1

It's true that nobody seems to care about it, and I just don't get it. It should get more attention than that. For me, counting on my finger's skills to play a game I've always played correctly, is much more important than enabling Mario to jump mid-air with cheats or other useless options I could live without.
July 24, 2011 10:34PM
I just installed SNES emu and I play with plugged in wired gamecube controllers and it feels good to me no delay or anything, and I've played SNES for 10+ years.

Using SNES9x GX 4. 2 .8

I like the gamecube controllers for snes 90% of the time (face buttons get confusing sometimes), but I thought I would get the classic controller. If I buy a classic controller will I have this problem too?
July 27, 2011 01:12AM
sportsnight
I am using SNES9x gx.

I thought we weren't allowed to discuss emulators. Emus use roms, and roms are illegal. Didn't you even read the rules of the forums?
July 27, 2011 04:49AM
Videogamer
sportsnight
I am using SNES9x gx.

I thought we weren't allowed to discuss emulators. Emus use roms, and roms are illegal. Didn't you even read the rules of the forums?
Did you?
Emulators are fine and in most cases so are ROMs. You cannot say where to get ROMs or post links to ROM sites or anything like that.

JostenNn
I like the gamecube controllers for snes 90% of the time (face buttons get confusing sometimes), but I thought I would get the classic controller. If I buy a classic controller will I have this problem too?
Can't you configure the controls so that the A,B,X, and Y buttons are fixed and feel more normal? I'm pretty sure if you get an official Nintendo Classic Controller it should work normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 05:04AM by bg4545.
July 27, 2011 11:38PM
bg4545
Videogamer
sportsnight
I am using SNES9x gx.

Did you?
Emulators are fine and in most cases so are ROMs. You cannot say where to get ROMs or post links to ROM sites or anything like that.
I was referring to where it said:
"Discussion of WADs, Backups, ROMs, loaders, cIOS is NOT ALLOWED! NO PIRACY! "

I've highlighted the important part.
July 27, 2011 11:58PM
Yes I know that's what it says but those are not all the rules. You should read where it says,
Forum Rules & Guidelines
I also explained to you the rules on emulators and ROMs since you're too lazy to go read the rules.
April 21, 2014 02:12PM
i have a same problem .Classic controller work fine on normal game but it's lag every 1 second in homebrew channel
and any emulator . now i use wiimote to ps2 adapter (yellow package) connect ps2 joy to wiimote
it's work fine no lag again !!! can use normal game also ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login