Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is there any way to delete tickets?

Posted by lenox361 
is there any way to delete tickets?
November 04, 2011 05:09AM
i used to have a bunch of wiiware but i removed some and i noticed that my system memory blocks go down by one after the delete. i think its the tickets using that 1 block. i tried anytitle deleter but im not sure if that even helped.
Re: is there any way to delete tickets?
November 04, 2011 06:05PM
i dont think the ticket takes up a full block. the nand is separated into pages. 8 of those make up a cluster. and 8 of those make up a block. and every 8 blocks = 1MiB. the way the nand FS works, all pages of a single cluster must belong to the same file. there is no requirement for all the clusters in a block to belong to 1 file - there can possibly be 8 files that all have a cluster that falls on 1 single block. and the smallest space a single file can use in the nand is 16KiB.

the usual size of a ticket is 0x2a4 bytes, so it will take up 1 cluster, or 1/8 of a block. in theory, deleting 8 tickets would free up 1 block. im not sure how the wii determines "free blocks". it could count only entire blocks that are completely free, or it could count the number of unused clusters and then divide by 8.

when you delete a title with the system menu, it deletes all the PRIVATE contents and data for a title. the channel's banner and the game itself should be in the private contents. there are other parts of the channel that get tossed into your shared contents that are common among more than 1 title - such as font data and the opera browser used for instruction manuals. if you install a title that takes up 200 blocks, it could be that only 10 blocks are private and 190 are shared. deleting this title would only free up ~10 blocks. afaik, there is no way for the common user to remove shared contents even if they are no longer required by any title. and if the system menu only displays the number of blocks that are completely empty, it might not even show that it has 10 more free blocks.

to answer your question, anytitledeleter deletes the ticket along with everything that the system menu deletes.

Also, bootmii displays some sort of nand stats. im pretty sure that it is using the number of free clusters as a basis for its calculation, and i would trust it over whatever the system menu is saying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 10:55PM by giantpune.
November 04, 2011 07:34PM
WOW PERFECT EXPLANATION! ended up using anytitle deleter and did notice that there were files on there from old wiiware i have deleted from before, i just want more space on the wii. thanks so much giantpune
November 05, 2011 12:42AM
On a side note, if you delete the tickets doesn't that remove the ability to re-download them from the Wii Shop Channel?
November 05, 2011 03:20AM
yes it does but they were a waste, we all have at least one we regret buying. :)
November 05, 2011 05:21PM
If it does remove them can't you re-download from the shop channel but have to buy them again?
November 05, 2011 06:37PM
If you've bought a title but the ticket is missing it will say it's going to charge you (and you need to have enough points on your account to download it) but after it finishes the points won't get deducted from your account. Ninty keeps track of all your past purchases on their end and knows not to debit your account for something you've already purchased, whether you have a ticket for it or not.
November 05, 2011 06:48PM
well that was helpful! thanks tueidj
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login