Another bricked wii - Savemiifrii doesn't work
February 25, 2010 10:43PM
So i tried to get my friend's wii softmodded and discovered that i couldn't install any wads or custom ios's due to the ret= -2011 error.
For safety measures i Installed BootMii but DID NOT backup my nand.....which is pretty idiotic, I know.

Wii version 4.0E
Homebrew channel latest
Bootmii v0.8 installed as boot2

So now i'm stuck and have no idea what I can do to....It would really suck if i had to give him my own wii.

I also have a working wii which I backed up with bootmii. I know that you can't simply put the same nand into the bricked wii.
BUT, can you change a nand backups keys? If I can do that would it be possible for me to use my working NAND backup and change it's NAND key to match the bricked Wii's nand keys?

I also tried to do the SaveMii trick with a gc controller, but it doesn't do anything, I can still boot into BootMii, though.

Am I fucked or is there a way out of this mess?
Re: Another bricked wii - Savemiifrii doesn't work
February 25, 2010 11:01PM
Can you access the HBC through bootmii on his wii?
February 25, 2010 11:02PM
It doesn't boot up sadly. Just a black screen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 11:19PM by Decatro.
February 26, 2010 02:01AM
You can convert the NAND dump with Betwiin. However, it would be easier to use Comex's NAND formatter. Before using it, be sure to read the readme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 02:07AM by jbc007.
February 26, 2010 02:46AM
jbc007
You can convert the NAND dump with Betwiin. However, it would be easier to use Comex's NAND formatter. Before using it, be sure to read the readme.

well how do I get my console's key without being able to boot into homebrew channel? I only have the 0.8 version of bootmii which doesn't give you the console Key after backup up the nand.....

How will I be able to use any boot file without a working homebrew channel?
And when i get there, how do I use either Comex's Nand Formatter or Betwiin?

I know Betwiin makes another wii's NAND work on the bricked one, but I still need the bricked wii's key wich i explained about above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 02:52AM by Decatro.
February 26, 2010 04:25AM
Decatro
well how do I get my console's key without being able to boot into homebrew channel? I only have the 0.8 version of bootmii which doesn't give you the console Key after backup up the nand.....

Make a NAND backup, they keys are included in it. However, someone else will have to explain how to extract them.

Decatro
How will I be able to use any boot file without a working homebrew channel?

You can't run most program at the moment. However, Comex's NAND formatter is launched through Bootmii, so you can use it. Put it on you SD card, and launch it through the SD card section in Bootmii.

Decatro
And when i get there, how do I use either Comex's Nand Formatter or Betwiin?

Betwiin is a PC utility. It converts a NAND dump, which you then restore with Bootmii. If you use Comex's NAND formatter instead (it is much easier), put the WADs mentioned in the readme in a folder called wad on the root of you SD card, and launch the formatter through Bootmii.

Decatro
I know Betwiin makes another wii's NAND work on the bricked one, but I still need the bricked wii's key wich i explained about above.

See above. However, it would be much easier to use Comex's NAND formatter instead.
February 26, 2010 02:19PM
Ok so i was about to download the system wad file, but I saw that it's an 3.2U upadate. I'm from Sweden/Europe so shouldn't I have 3.2E ?

My other system has 4.0E just as an example
February 26, 2010 02:51PM
Yes, you should get 3.2E. I suggest using NUS Downloader [from the WiiBrew wiki] to get the WAD.
February 26, 2010 03:15PM
bg4545
Yes, you should get 3.2E. I suggest using NUS Downloader [from the WiiBrew wiki] to get the WAD.

Right, I did try that and it only installed 2 wads then it told me it was done. I still got a black screen.

I heard that NUS downloader doesn't give you a proper ios30 file so I'm going to try to take one from one of my games with the other wii with the wufe hombrew.

I'm not quite sure how to set the NUS downloader to only download PAL wads

EDIT:

Ok so I extracted all the files needed from an (not original) Okami PAL disc with my other wii.

I used the files that the readme told me to use BUT with my region since I extracted them from a PAL disc.
I launched Comex's Nand Formatter which REFUSES to install all the wads at the same time, Just one wad file installs (the first in line of all the wads) before it says "Done".

Also, I saw the Region select-v2.wad was only for korean versions? Should I use v1 instead of v2 then?
As mentioned above did the previous install, that caused the wii to get bricked, did the Mii channel fail to install.
Should I install it via Comex's Nand formatter as well?

So I tried putting in all the files one at a time to install them all, but the wii is as dead as before...
I also realized that when I start the wii the dvd light flashes once, then flickers for a brink of a second.....I assume it must be a pretty bad sign, have I friend the wii somehow?

Is it possible to update bootmii via bootmii so I can get the console key so I can use betwiin?

I also checked the ? option in bootmii after i used comex's Nand formatter. It's still telling me that the System menu is 4.0E boot1b boot2v3

I found out that I could run the cboot2 installer on my working wii to prepare a SD card to run WAD manager on my bricked wii (since I cannot start cboot2 on the bricked wii as it is). Would that solve my problem?

Problem solved! I used cboot2 to solve this issue over here:

[gbatemp.net]

Thanks for the replies guys!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 11:34PM by Decatro.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login