Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bricked Wii Boot/IOS

Posted by kisslaya 
Bricked Wii Boot/IOS
September 25, 2010 04:54AM
first of all if i post/ write something that isnt allowed im very sorry.

So...my wii is bricked, here is the history;
i have a black wii, original sys menu was 4.3U
so i followed a realy good guide on youtube to mod it
i managed to softmod it, installed bootmii as ios, made a nand backup, and managed to safely downgrade it to 4.1u
After downgrade i installed priiloader 0.4

so the main thing i belive is i have a nand backup, and bootmii as ios and i need help unbricking with that...

now plz help... :/
and plz give me a detailed and easy-to-follow guide cuz im kinda a n00b :(
Re: Bricked Wii Boot/IOS
September 25, 2010 05:09AM
All I can tell you is the first mistake you made was watching the fail videos on youtube, second is you downgraded. One of the more experienced guys will be able to tell you if it can be fixed.
September 25, 2010 05:29AM
Wait a minute.. how is it bricked? can you load Priiloader?
September 25, 2010 06:03AM
well aparently im not quite so sure...abt loading priiloader

since i have boot/ios, i thnk the hbc is probably corrupted too...

however il try....and update
thx fr instant replies
September 25, 2010 06:05AM
Well what happens when you power on your Wii? Do you see a blank screen? Does it freeze after the Health Screen?
September 25, 2010 06:18AM
Bootmii/IOS will not help you recover from a brick. If you can access Priiloader, repair is possible. Though, we really need to know how your wii became bricked in order to help.
September 25, 2010 04:50PM
something really strange happened....

before i slept yesterday, my screen was black, i unplugged my wii and slept...

nwo when i tried it, it works for some reason...
but now i still have a dillema, i can access priiloader 0.4 if i hold reset...
but when i select option to go to hbc, it gives me an error:

error autobooting hbc, maybe title not installed?

but when i go to select title and click hbc from there it works...

so now, if i get this problem fixed, i will have brick protection as boot/ios right?

because i realy wana try install custom themes...and im scared cuz il "supposedely brick it again"

ive also tried asking an yahoo...so i guys i realy need your help...

thx in advance :)

(p.S here the youtube guide i used; [Epic fail in a video] )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 09:54PM by SifJar.
September 25, 2010 05:25PM
Can you boot System Menu from Priiloader?

Perhaps the reason Priiloader fails to load HBC is you have the latest HBC, which Priiloader can't load yet. There was a beta of an update which could load it, but it has been removed, because a potentially fatal bug in HBC caused the installer to fail for some people.

(For those interested, this bug is in the HW_AHBPROT feature. There are some network calls made by HBC which aren't shut down when an app is loaded if IOS is not reloaded (i.e. HW_AHBPROT feature is active), and if you don't have network settings, the calls return once the app has started, and cause it to crash. If you have network settings, its safe, and if you reload IOS, the calls are cancelled, but otherwise, it will crash, and if its during a crucial moment, you will end up with a bricked Wii. Hopefully Team Twiizers will fix it in the next release of HBC by cancelling the calls before loading an app)
September 25, 2010 05:33PM
yes i can go to sys menu with prri loader...but if my wii gets sys bricked there no point in going there...

so technicaly ur saying, right now if my wii gets bricked, i cant access hbc with prii and restore my nand?, even wth the alt way of going to hbc, with the titles sub menu?
and if no, would nay1 recoomend me to install a custom theme?, is there a realy! good guide to do it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 05:35PM by kisslaya.
September 25, 2010 05:57PM
If you can not install BootMii/boot2, there is no better protection in existence that Priiloader. This means that the following bricks can't be fixed:

Missing or corrupted System Menu IOS
Missing or corrupted System Menu

A brick from a theme however, is a banner brick. You can easily fix that with Priiloader by booting HBC and running MyMenuify, and installing a different (working) theme, or the default 000000XX.app file for your System Menu (can be downloaded using ThemeMii, the best tool available for making .CSM files from the .MYM file you download when you download a theme)
September 25, 2010 06:07PM
so if i bannerbrick my wii i can load priiloader, access hbc through all titles menu sub-option, and run menuify

is it necessary to have menuify and thememii to recover from the bannerbrick?

also what are the causes of missing/corrupted sys menu bricks?

and also, a guide will be helpful so i can attempt this...

thx for the replies ^^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 06:14PM by kisslaya.
September 25, 2010 06:40PM
SifJar
Can you boot System Menu from Priiloader?

Perhaps the reason Priiloader fails to load HBC is you have the latest HBC, which Priiloader can't load yet. There was a beta of an update which could load it, but it has been removed, because a potentially fatal bug in HBC caused the installer to fail for some people.

(For those interested, this bug is in the HW_AHBPROT feature. There are some network calls made by HBC which aren't shut down when an app is loaded if IOS is not reloaded (i.e. HW_AHBPROT feature is active), and if you don't have network settings, the calls return once the app has started, and cause it to crash. If you have network settings, its safe, and if you reload IOS, the calls are cancelled, but otherwise, it will crash, and if its during a crucial moment, you will end up with a bricked Wii. Hopefully Team Twiizers will fix it in the next release of HBC by cancelling the calls before loading an app)

So that's what it is, I thought the bug was in the Priiloader installer itself. I installed the new priiloader on my old Wii successfully(and it has bootmii/boot2) so I could move saves to the sd but its kind of useless because i cant move them to my newer Wii because it doesnt have priiloader (I havent installed it on my new one because im scared it will brick, again).

I havent installed the old priiloader because it required patched IOS and I dont feel safe doing that without bootmii/ boot2.

So are you saying that if my Wii is connected to the internet installing the new priiloader is "safe"? I dont see how it should matter if the Wii is connected or not, but I always have my Wiis connected to the internet anyway.

Edit: I can't use Savegame extractor/ installer because the disk drive on the old Wii is broken, hence the reason I want to use the priiloader hacks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 08:53PM by NintendoFreak.
September 25, 2010 09:27PM
kisslaya
so if i bannerbrick my wii i can load priiloader, access hbc through all titles menu sub-option, and run menuify

is it necessary to have menuify and thememii to recover from the bannerbrick?

also what are the causes of missing/corrupted sys menu bricks?

and also, a guide will be helpful so i can attempt this...

thx for the replies ^^

MyMenuify and ThemeMii are necessary to recover from a theming related brick, but they are also necessary to install themes, so you should have them anyway if you brick (which you should still try to avoid by using "safe" themes).

Missing or corrupted System Menu could be caused by a number of things. Mainly, deleting System Menu through mistake or stupidity (some WAD installers will allow you to uninstall a title such as the System Menu if you have a WAD of it on your SD card, so be careful if you use such tools, preferably avoid them unless you know VERY well what you're doing), or if you are updating System Menu (officially or through a tool like dop-Mii), and you lose power part way through. In these cases, your Wii is permanently bricked without BootMii/boot2.

Missing or corrupt System Menu IOS is caused by the same things (accidental uninstallation or loss of power during installation), but also installing a new System Menu without its IOS. In official updates, this won't happen, and with well coded tools like dop-Mii, it shouldn't let if happen either.

NintendoFreak
So that's what it is, I thought the bug was in the Priiloader installer itself. I installed the new priiloader on my old Wii successfully(and it has bootmii/boot2) so I could move saves to the sd but its kind of useless because i cant move them to my newer Wii because it doesnt have priiloader (I havent installed it on my new one because im scared it will brick, again).

I havent installed the old priiloader because it required patched IOS and I dont feel safe doing that without bootmii/ boot2.

So are you saying that if my Wii is connected to the internet installing the new priiloader is "safe"? I dont see how it should matter if the Wii is connected or not, but I always have my Wiis connected to the internet anyway.

Edit: I can't use Savegame extractor/ installer because the disk drive on the old Wii is broken, hence the reason I want to use the priiloader hacks.

Strange as it sounds, yes all that is needed is a network connection to prevent the crash. More details here: [www.dacotaco.com]
September 25, 2010 09:43PM
in simplified words;

if a bannerbrick happens on my wii which has boot/ios then i can use priiloader and nand backup to restore right?
September 25, 2010 09:52PM
No. Where on earth did you get that from? Like I said, if a banner brick (from theming) occurs, you can use Priiloader to start HBC, run MyMenuify and install a different theme.

You can NOT restore a NAND dump in BootMii/IOS (which BTW, is not called boot/ios) without entering a special code using a gamecube controller, because it is very unsafe. You should not attempt this in ANY circumstance. If you can load Priiloader, there IS a better way to fix any problem you have, and if you can't load Priiloader, you won't be able to access BootMii/IOS.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, don't link to crap like that YouTube video again. That video has illegal files in the description and by following that guide you are breaking the law. It also violates a number of the rules of this website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 09:55PM by SifJar.
September 25, 2010 09:54PM
kisslaya
in simplified words;

if a bannerbrick happens on my wii which has boot/ios then i can use priiloader and nand backup to restore right?
In simplified words; No. You're not supposed to restore a NAND Backup if you have BootMii as IOS (you need BootMii as boot2).
You can, however, use Priiloader to run the necessary applications to fix your Wii.
September 26, 2010 12:51AM
Can i have more details on the knami code i can use with a gamecube controller to restore a nand backup through priiloader....
September 26, 2010 12:59AM
kisslaya
Can i have more details on the knami code i can use with a gamecube controller to restore a nand backup through priiloader....

Weren't you lis...er...reading? Restoring a NAND backup with BootMii IOS is a bad idea, and if you can get to BootMii IOS, then there are better ways to fix whatever problem you have.
September 26, 2010 06:35AM
winmaster
kisslaya

Weren't you lis...er...reading? Restoring a NAND backup with BootMii IOS is a bad idea, and if you can get to BootMii IOS, then there are better ways to fix whatever problem you have.

well sifjar mentioned i could use a gc controler and a special konami code, to restore a nand with bootmii as ios.
"You can NOT restore a NAND dump in BootMii/IOS (which BTW, is not called boot/ios) without entering a special code using a gamecube controller, because it is very unsafe"

and i didnt quite get this line of urs "and if you can get to BootMii IOS, then there are better ways to fix whatever problem you have."

thx again for all the help u guys are providing, i realy appreciate it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 06:36AM by kisslaya.
September 26, 2010 06:43AM
kisslaya
well sifjar mentioned i could use a gc controler and a special konami code, to restore a nand with bootmii as ios.
"You can NOT restore a NAND dump in BootMii/IOS (which BTW, is not called boot/ios) without entering a special code using a gamecube controller, because it is very unsafe"
Read:
bg4545
In simplified words; No. You're not supposed to restore a NAND Backup if you have BootMii as IOS (you need BootMii as boot2).
You can, however, use Priiloader to run the necessary applications to fix your Wii.
You can restore a NAND backup using BootMii as IOS but you SHOULDN'T because it is much more dangerous than restoring a NAND backup with BootMii as boot2.

kisslaya
and i didnt quite get this line of urs "and if you can get to BootMii IOS, then there are better ways to fix whatever problem you have."
If you can get to BootMii as IOS (for example loading it with Priiloader) then there is a better way to fix your problem (for example loading another app that will fix it). You should NEVER restore a NAND backup unless you have BootMii as boot2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login