Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dumb question, but.....

Posted by redsoxrox182 
Re: Dumb question, but.....
February 25, 2009 02:15AM
If youre sure you have your files placed correctly on your SD card, try a differentSD card.
February 25, 2009 03:08AM
but if it is just a memory space issue, could i just delete some pictures? If not, I'll try a new
SD.
February 25, 2009 03:20AM
Its not a space issue. Its a you dont have your SD set up properly or you have an incompatible SD issue. Small camera SD cards are infamous for not working correctly with installing the homebrew channel.
February 25, 2009 04:50AM
Well, since you had it working here's what I would suggest.

Pull all the files from your SD card and save them on your PC somewhere as backup. I doubt you want to lose your pictures, and I doubt you want to go through the hassle of organizing the tphack files again.

Once you have them all backed up(just copy it all to a new folder on desktop) then open cmd prompt. Just hit the windows key + R together from the desktop. then type cmd in the box that pops up, and hit enter.

The black box will pop up now, very reminiscent of MS-DOS =D

Now, with your SD card in your computer, open My Computer. There should be an extra removable storage device with a lettered drive, which will be your SD card. For me, it's F: drive. Get the letter, and go back to the cmd prompt window.

Type format F: (where F: = your sd card drive letter) and hit enter.

Tell it to format to fat16 if it asks(or is it fat32? Arikado, check me on this?).

Wait until it finishes. A 256mb card should probably take less than 5 minutes. At the end it will ask if you want to give a name to it, you may do so if you like. I just leave it blank usually.

Now put your tphack files back on. Remember the card should look like this.

Root:
boot.dol <---this will be the homebrew channel installer. It doesn't go in any folders.
private > wii > title > rzde --->data.bin (this is your tphack save file, of course)

That's all you should have on your card. After trying this, if it still doesn't work, then you need a newer card from a better brand lol.
February 25, 2009 11:44AM
Thanks, I think I formatted it right, I'll go try it now.
February 25, 2009 09:42PM
It still doesnt work, so I guess I'll just have to try a new Sd card.
February 26, 2009 08:18AM
Yup. The format thing was just a last-ditch effort. Get a SanDisk card, I'm positive they are fully compatible with the Wii, even down to the 256mb size.

If you think you'd really like the Wii homebrew scene, I would suggest a minimum 1gb card. Get a 2gb if you can.

Or you can go a different route and get a small SD card to start with, like a 512mb. Then you can get the hack on your system to make sure things are working. After that, you can grab a much bigger SDHC card because the HB scene has figured out how to make those compatible as well =D

Arikado, again, check me on that? I haven't used bigger than a 2gb myself, so I'm not sure how safe it is to put SDHC functionality in the Wii.
February 26, 2009 08:32PM
Alright, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting alot of apps so I'll probably get a 1G, unless you can download
them over WiFi. Isnt that what the Homebrew Browser is for?
February 26, 2009 09:11PM
Most SDHC cards should work just fine on the Homebrew Channel. People are claiming that even 32gb SDHC cards work. This page may help you in deciding which card to purchase: [www.wiibrew.org]
February 26, 2009 09:54PM
Okay, but will a bigger SD card really help me for the homebrew channel or can I just download
the apps over wifi from the homebrew browser? In other words, will I need to download apps to
my SD card and then to my Wii, and even so, cant I just do a few at a time?
February 26, 2009 10:10PM
Apps run from the SD card only. Installing apps to the system menu to run as a channel usually requires iffy legal practices unless the channel is not based on Ninty code I believe. Which is rare.

I personally just shuffle apps around on a need-to-use basis. Takes 15 seconds if you keep things organized.

Also, homebrew browser just downloads apps onto your SD card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 10:12PM by Zendeavor.
February 26, 2009 11:01PM
Well then I'm glad I just ran out and got a 2GB SanDisk card! I will try it out in a little while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 11:19PM by redsoxrox182.
February 26, 2009 11:38PM
Ughhh......I got the same message! What did I do wrong this time?

I also just read that after and October 23rd update the Wii will block new installations
of the Homebrew Channel. Is this true????? :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 11:44PM by redsoxrox182.
February 26, 2009 11:49PM
no...that isn't true at all...

if you can, make a video of all the files on your SD card, then the Zelda disc, then running the hack..ect...
February 27, 2009 12:00AM
If you got that error again, you do not have the homebrew channels boot.dol file on the root of your SD card like you should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 12:01AM by Arikado.
February 27, 2009 12:37AM
I switched the order of private and boot.dol on the sd card but same results.
My SD Card looks like this.

boot.dol DOL File
private File Folder

If this doesnt help I'll trying putting up a video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 12:38AM by redsoxrox182.
February 27, 2009 01:08AM
Take a quick read through this guide and make sure you have done everything correctly: [www.wiibrew.org]
February 27, 2009 02:36AM
If you get exception 300 (Error 0300) or similar errors when trying to install the Homebrew Channel via the Twilight Hack, you didn't extract the homebrew channel's tar.gz archive (Hint: If you're renaming anything, you're doing it wrong.)

THIS! This is what I hadnt done! How do I do it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 02:36AM by redsoxrox182.
February 27, 2009 03:11AM
Same way you extract .zip files
February 27, 2009 11:11AM
But which one is the tar.gz archive? Have I even downloaded it yet?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login