Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ftpii help

Posted by odduck 
ftpii help
March 23, 2009 09:01AM
Sorry if this should be in the application discussion forum but this seems like a pretty newbish question to me since I've rarely ever used ftp before.

I've got the Homebrew Channel up and running smoothly and now I'm trying to use ftpii to transfer over files onto my SD card from my computer (unfortunately I'm stuck using a PC with no SD card slot). I seem to be able to log into the wii ok from the command line but when I try to run the 'ls' command, ftpii has a fit and shoots off an error message.

here's the output on my computer's terminal:

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Transferring data.
520 Closing data connection, error occurred during transfer.
ftp>

and here's what shows up on my tv from the wii:

Got command: PORT 192.168.x.xx.xxx.xx
Set client address to 192.168.x.xx:xxxxx
Wrote reply: 200 PORT command successful.
Got command: LIST
Wrote reply: 150 Transferring data.
Attempting to connect to client at 192.168.x.xx:xxxxx
Unable to connect to client: [120] Socket already connected
Wrote reply: 520 closing data connections, error occurred during transfer.

(obviously the X's were't there originally. i don't even know if that really makes a difference but i'd rather be safe than sorry)

Now my guess is just that I have to open up the mentioned already connected socket, but I'm afraid I don't know how to go about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: ftpii help
March 23, 2009 01:38PM
I would just map the SD card as a network location. Just use the 'Add Network Place Wizard', choose 'Choose another network location', and put ftp:// 192. 168. 1. xxx:21/sd (replace the xxx with whatever ftpii says and leave out the spaces. I had to put those in so that the forum wouldn't convert it into a link) for the address and use anonymous log in. You'll be able to browse the card just like any other folder on your computer.

As for x-ing out those IPs, those are internal addresses. The only way someone would be able to access them is if they were already on your network.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2009 01:41PM by bg4m3r.
March 23, 2009 05:32PM
bg4m3r
I would just map the SD card as a network location. Just use the 'Add Network Place Wizard', choose 'Choose another network location', and put ftp:// 192. 168. 1. xxx:21/sd (replace the xxx with whatever ftpii says and leave out the spaces. I had to put those in so that the forum wouldn't convert it into a link) for the address and use anonymous log in. You'll be able to browse the card just like any other folder on your computer.

I forgot to mention that I'm on Ubuntu so I don't have all that "Network Place Wizard" stuff to worry about but I did try doing it with my window manager as opposed to trying to do it in the command line and it works like a charm. No idea why my first instinct would be to use the CL but, like I said, I've used ftp maybe twice in my life.

Still kinda curious why the CL didn't seem to work but I guess if I've got it working another way then I'll just leave it at that.

As for x-ing out those IPs, those are internal addresses. The only way someone would be able to access them is if they were already on your network.

Reading this made me go "duh". I guess I'm just overly paranoid.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help. Very much appreciated.
March 28, 2009 10:31PM
odduck, if you want to use the command line ftp prog try setting mode to PASV instead of port. When you set mode to PASV the ftp server tells your client where to connect to for data to be read or written.

When using PORT, your command line ftp program is telling your wii where to transmit the data to so your "client" actually becomes your "server" if that makes sense.

Both should work but most ftp applications use passive mode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login