Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to this

Posted by persephone325 
New to this
October 08, 2009 09:35PM
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to all this, and I was just wondering how these applications work, and how I would download them. I currently have a Wii with a 4.1 system menu. I also have trouble with downloading things correctly to an SD card. (If a thread like this has already been made, could you please point me in the right direction?) Thanks in advance for any help.
Re: New to this
October 08, 2009 09:38PM
Firstly, don't update to 4.2. Secondly, try to use the Homebrew Browser to download your apps.
October 08, 2009 09:44PM
Is using Homebrew Browser easier than downloading things to an SD card?
October 08, 2009 09:46PM
Yes. No need to use the computer to download apps. Assuming you have internet on the Wii.
October 08, 2009 09:55PM
Would that be the only thing I would have to download to an SD card?
October 08, 2009 09:56PM
Yes. It downloads homebrew directly to the SD card, and organises them so they can be read by the Homebrew Channel. It's very easy to use.
October 08, 2009 10:02PM
Oh! So it downloads the Homebrew Channel as well?
October 08, 2009 10:58PM
No, it puts the apps in the correct folders so that the HBC can see them.
October 08, 2009 11:08PM
Oh, ok. Is there a step-by-step guide on the wiki, or somewhere? So I know what to download and in what order to do what.
October 08, 2009 11:21PM
Yeah, there's a guide on the wiki. Look on the front page and find the link "Homebrew Setup". That guides you through the process. The gist of it is:

Download bannerbomb v2, HackMii Installer 0.6 and Homebrew Browser
Rename the private folder on your SD card to privateold
Copy the private folder from bannerbomb to your SD card in the root (i.e. not in any folders)
Copy installer.elf from HackMii Installer to the root of your SD card and rename it boot.elf
make a folder called "apps" on the root of your SD card, and copy homebrew_browser folder from Homebrew Browser download into it. (homebrew_browser should have boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml inside it)
Put sd card in wii and turn on
Open SD Card menu (click the blue SD card at bottom of system menu)
HackMii Installer will run. Install Homebrew Channel, DVDx, and if possible, BootMii as boot2.
Exit the installer.
On Wii System Menu there is a new channel- HBC. Run it.
Homebrew Browser should be listed. Point at it and press A. Select load.
Wait for it to load, then browse and select the homebrew you want to download.

If you need anymore help, give us a shout.
October 08, 2009 11:29PM
Thanks so much! :D
October 09, 2009 01:51AM
Quick question. My SD card doesn't look like this: [www.wiibrew.org]

I have an apps folder, a private folder, and then the boot.elf file. Is that the same?
October 09, 2009 02:13AM
Yeah, that's fine.

Remember to get rid of the bannerbomb private folder after you are done.
October 09, 2009 02:48AM
So after I download the stuff to my Wii, take the SD card out and delete the file? Or can I do it from my Wii? (I just don't want to do anything wrong and screw up my Wii.)
October 09, 2009 02:59AM
After HBC is installed, shut down your wii, remove the SD card, put it into your computer, and then delete the private folder and the boot.elf. :)
October 09, 2009 03:52AM
Does it matter what order I install them in?
October 09, 2009 04:00AM
October 09, 2009 04:54AM
Okey-dokey. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll let you know if I run into problems. Thank you so much. :)
October 13, 2009 02:22AM
Another question. The reason I'm doing this is so that I can play Fatal Frame 4. After I download these things to the Wii, would I be able to play the game?
October 13, 2009 02:37AM
By using Gecko OS, you can boot import games (if thats what you're asking....).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login