Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noobie Question about BootMii

Posted by BrendanN 
Noobie Question about BootMii
April 26, 2009 03:44AM
Sorry for this noobie little question :P

From what I understand, BootMii is just a file on an SD card....

I have heard from some people that it is a separate piece of hardware you need to order, like a USBGecko kinda..

Which of these is correct?

Sorry for being such a noob :]
Re: Noobie Question about BootMii
April 26, 2009 03:49AM
Neither. BootMii is a replacement for boot2 (software in the Wii boot process) and it can load the file from an SD card to run. We can use it to run homebrew code before the System Menu even starts
April 26, 2009 03:50AM
So..........

You do not need additional hardware in order to install it.
In it's rawest form, it is just a file on an SD card?
April 26, 2009 04:56AM
Yeah pretty much
April 26, 2009 06:47AM
And this will let you run Homebrew apps themselves but not the Homebrew Channel if it's never been installed before on a virgin 4.0 Wii?
April 26, 2009 08:13AM
nintendude
And this will let you run Homebrew apps themselves but not the Homebrew Channel if it's never been installed before on a virgin 4.0 Wii?

The Homebrew Channel is a Homebrew app.
So an installed BootMii can run the Homebrew Channel anywhere, of course
April 26, 2009 09:37AM
daniel_c_w
nintendude

So you're saying that I can run the Homebrew Channel on a virgin 4.0 Wii via BootMii?
April 26, 2009 02:41PM
nintendude
So you're saying that I can run the Homebrew Channel on a virgin 4.0 Wii via BootMii?

If you can install BootMii on a 4.0 Wii: yes.
(But I do not know, if you can do that)
April 26, 2009 06:20PM
daniel_c_w
nintendude

I believe that you can install BootMii on 4.0. Obviously, we'll have to wait for the official exploit in order to find out...
April 27, 2009 03:25AM
nintendude
daniel_c_w
nintendude

No. You need to have the HBC installed first. Bootmii will not install the HBC on virgin 4.0 On an unvirgin (or deflowered lol), it could potentially run unsigned code that could.
April 27, 2009 03:26AM
nintendude
daniel_c_w
nintendude

I believe that you can install BootMii on 4.0. Obviously, we'll have to wait for the official exploit in order to find out...
It depends on your boot1 hardware, not your firmware wether or not you can install Bootmii (as boot2).
April 27, 2009 04:22AM
Arikado
nintendude
daniel_c_w
nintendude

It depends on your boot1 hardware, not your firmware wether or not you can install Bootmii (as boot2).

I hear that it all depends on the serial # of your Wii. I hear that LU64 Wiis can't be hacked (at this time), but anything earlier can. If this is true, then that means that my LU61 Wii should be safe, right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login