Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii - Do I need it

Posted by LinkSlayer64 
BootMii - Do I need it
June 01, 2009 10:38PM
My question is plainly, do I need BootMii? I use the Homebrew channel. and use some emulators, some apps, and DVDx, and my question is, should I install BootMii as boot2? I have not done any EXTREME system mods, but also brought to my attention was that I can't get my Wii repaired or whatever if it has traces of DVDx or the Homebrew Channel, should I install it for that reason, to uninstall those?
Also, I have had a message pop up about twice when I went to the disc channel "The wii's system files are corrupt" or something along the lines of that, however a simple power off fixed it. is that a problem?
Thank you all for this wonderful thing, it's very fun, and I plan on developing a few of my own apps
also, lastly, where should I put the files to run the HackMii installer from the homebrew channel, sorry I just don't wanna screw this up >.<
Re: BootMii - Do I need it
June 01, 2009 10:45PM
Well, if you're planning on modifying your wii to any great extent, then i would suggest bootmii. Even if you aren't, i would still suggest bootmii. there's really no reason not to. You can backup your NAND, just in case anything happens to your wii, or load homebrew channel directly from the start. So yes, i think you should install bootmii.

I'm not sure, but i think you can't install it as boot2 unless you bought your wii in mid-'08, or something along those lines. :P
June 01, 2009 11:01PM
WaxyPumpkin72

I'm not sure, but i think you can't install it as boot2 unless you bought your wii in mid-'08, or something along those lines. :P

I got mine early when it came out, I already know I can as boot2, I just need to know where to put the files on the SD, in root, or apps?
June 01, 2009 11:06PM
If you already have homebrew installed, just take this file and rename the installer.elf to boot.elf and put under ROOT:/apps/bootmii/boot.elf. Then load the app and select install bootmii as boot2. i think thats it. i'm in a hurry, sorry for not good spelling/grammar/instructions. :P
June 01, 2009 11:43PM
It worked, nice and easy, thanks for the help, now anyone else know, after booting bootmii with the SD card in, to backup, should I put in another, so my homebrew doesn't get overwritten during the reformat? from what I understand this is what it does, but if I'm wrong please correct me
June 02, 2009 02:34AM
You should probably use a different SD card, because i think the sd card is reformatted during the process. You also need to make sure you have at least 1gb free on the SD card that you use. Sorry if this is wrong. hope that this helps. :D
June 02, 2009 02:49AM
The SD Card is no longer reformatted in beta2.
June 02, 2009 03:03AM
Oh, okay. Thanks for the info.

@LinkSlayer64: I guess that just means that you needs at least 1gb of memory to backup, and then you're set. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 03:05AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 02, 2009 06:04AM
Instead of using a different sd card, I just used the same one to backup and then put it on my computer. If you don't have enough room, just put everything on your sd card somewhere on your computer and then empty out the SD card. After that you can put the nand.bin onto your computer and off the sd card and then replace all the apps and stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login