Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help and advice.

Posted by ParrotBoy 
Help and advice.
June 05, 2009 10:45PM
Hi, I've finally got round to hacking my wii. Some basic info regarding the wii.

It is running system menu 4.0e and is currently a virgin console. I bought it in November '08, but it was a refurb (so I have no idea how old it is exactly but the serial code on the bottom begins "LEH2".

I am planning to use the BannerBomb exploit, I have all the files ready to go and I will be using a 4gb SDHC card:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

I will be following the guide on the wiibrew website. Is there anything I need to know, any tips to make it a smooth and easy process?

I've read a good few tutorials, seen a load of youtube videos and it all seems pretty simple. Also, I would like to know how to backup my NAND using bootmii, IE how do you get into the menu and how is it navigated (I do not have a gamecube controller). Just incase anything happens to be safe.

Thanks.

I also find it pretty ironic how one of the ads just above the post, for me links to a site which makes you pay for the exploit and is also for backups :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 10:50PM by ParrotBoy.
Re: Help and advice.
June 05, 2009 10:56PM
I don't think there are any extra things you need to know before installation. Just go ahead and do it! About bootmii installation, it depends on how old your console is. if you got it, say, mid-'08, then you can install it as boot2, making it so that instead of booting straight to the system menu, it will boot to bootmii! If you have a newer wii though, you'll need to install it as an IOS. I think the only way to navigate the bootmii menu is with a gamecube controller.
June 05, 2009 10:58PM
Thanks for the help, but as I said, I have no idea how old my wii actually is (refurb). Can you tell me how to navigate BootMii?

Once I know this, I think I will give it a try tomorrow.
June 05, 2009 11:03PM
To navigate bootmii you need a gamecube controller. There will be 4 little square to choose from. Either boot to system menu, boot to homebrew, view SD card files, and a little settings icon. You can use the Gamecube's D-pad to move left and right, and you use the A button to select.Select the settings icon if you want to backup your NAND. I'm not really sure exactly what information you want. If you don't know how old your wii is, then i don't really know what to say. Could someone come help? :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 11:04PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 05, 2009 11:07PM
Thanks again. I saw on a video, the guy used the reset button to go through the options on bootmii, I may buy a gamecube controller. If I can find one cheap I will definately buy it.

I will try to research my serial code to see if I can get any dates.
June 05, 2009 11:09PM
I'm pretty sure you can only use the power/reset/eject buttons if you installed it as boot2. the reason i didn't mention it is because i assumed you have a newer wii, meaning you would need to install it as an IOS. Sorry. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 11:09PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 05, 2009 11:09PM
ParrotBoy
I will try to research my serial code to see if I can get any dates.
Just look and see if your serial code has LU64.
June 05, 2009 11:15PM
Nope, LEH2. Will I be able to install as boot2 then?
June 05, 2009 11:20PM
The installer will tell you if you can't use it as boot2.
June 05, 2009 11:23PM
Kage52124
The installer will tell you if you can't use it as boot2.

Ah, Thanks for that.
June 06, 2009 12:21AM
LU is America, LEH seems to be Europe (or at least UK).
LEH1 here, with boot2 bootmii. You may be in luck, but can't say either way.
June 06, 2009 11:37AM
PhoenixTank
LU is America, LEH seems to be Europe (or at least UK).
LEH1 here, with boot2 bootmii. You may be in luck, but can't say either way.

Alright, thanks. Only reason I have been putting this off is because my SD card is yet to arrive from amazon...If It had come earlier I would have done it straight away.
June 07, 2009 01:40AM
Hi, sorry for the bump. But I found a site which uses the serial code an shows you some info about the console. Apparantly it was made in 2006 so should boot2 work? An I'm just gonna double check with the bootmii checker tool ( once the bloody SD card arrives).

But I still need to know, what buttons on the console do what in bootmii. Thanks.
June 07, 2009 02:14AM
If its from 06, then yes, bootmii will work for you!! On the button info, power=right,eject=left,and reset=select. Just so you know, its a wraparound effect, so if the drive buzzing noise irritates you, you don't have to use it! :P
June 07, 2009 02:30AM
thank you so much, I wish the goddam SD card would come :(. 6 days I've waited.

This is the first console I've modded so I'm being a safety freak and making sure every little thing is right and backed up haha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2009 02:31AM by ParrotBoy.
June 07, 2009 02:37AM
when i installed homebrew i was kinda acting like a safety freak too. i ran the twilight hack, and all of a sudden black and white letters started scrolling down the screen and i got all paranoid cuz i thought i messed something up lol!! :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2009 02:38AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 07, 2009 02:48AM
Haha, I would panick too.

Disregard the stuff I said earlier about it being made in 2006, turns out that was just when the stuff inside it was copyrighted. Looks lime will have to use the bootmii chacker thing.
June 08, 2009 05:04PM
Thanks for all the help guys, currently backing up my NAND. :D Can't wait.

Managed to install as Boot2, lucky me :) . Just can't stop smiling haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 05:06PM by ParrotBoy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login