Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing updates AFTER having installed the HBC

Posted by murxx 
Installing updates AFTER having installed the HBC
July 25, 2009 11:09AM
Hey guys,

I'm having a simple question, with hopefully a simple answer: I've installed the HBC on my Wii with now further changes to the console via Bannerbomb.

Now yesterday I got "Wii Sports Resort" and had to install the 3.4e update to the system, which worked fine. When I tried to enter the Wii Shop today, it advised me to run the latest update.

Now, will doing this update break the HBC for me? What could or should I do to prevent it?

Thx for your help!
Re: Installing updates AFTER having installed the HBC
July 25, 2009 11:50AM
You can do the update.

So far there a no reports of an update breaking the HBC.
Keep the HBC on the Wii, though. Do not move it to an SD-card.

It is recommend to use WiiSCU to update the sytem menu, the Shop Channel and IOS 60 and 61.
July 25, 2009 09:53PM
Thx for the advise!

What is different using the WiiSCU to install any update?
July 25, 2009 10:48PM
Well wiiscu will only update the channels and a few IOS's. The full update does that plus the system menu and all the IOS's.
July 26, 2009 01:38PM
If I do this - will a full-update always bring me back on the official "path of light"?
July 26, 2009 03:08PM
Yes, but you never stepped off that path, if you use WiiSCU. You just didn't pick up all flowers along the track, only the good ones.

(that was gayish for: WiiSCU actually does the same thing as Nintendo's update (same server, same files), but only partial)
July 26, 2009 04:07PM
Why the hell wouldn't you update to the latest firmware if you're on 3.4? You're not losing any homebrew functionality, but you are gaining official Nintendo functionality. There's nothing you can do on 3.4 that you can't do on 4.1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 07:13PM by Arikado.
July 26, 2009 04:32PM
Exactly
July 26, 2009 04:57PM
There is the slight hope of keeping the signing bug intact.

By the way: do we know, if the 3.4 on Wii Sports Resort is complete? He may still be able to keep the signing bug without using an IOS with an unholy number :D
July 26, 2009 10:00PM
Honestly guys, I don't really know, what I'm doing here and which features I'm missing.

I installed 3.4e, because "Wii Sports Resort" demanded it. Now I'm asking about the official update, because the Wii Shop is asking for it.

What would you do in my position?
July 27, 2009 02:25AM
Umm... I would officially update as 3.4 has no benifets over 4.0/4.1
July 30, 2009 12:36PM
Just update to 4.1. You lose nothing and gain stuff.
August 03, 2009 04:28PM
Hi all,

I was going to create a similar thread, but saw this and thought it would be OK to hijack. :D

I am currently running firmware 3.4e and only just recently installed HBC + DVDx using bannerbomb via the BootMii installer (but haven't actually installed BootMii yet as I was unsure if it was OK to install as a IOS).

My question, similar to OP, is that is it a good idea to update the firmware to the latest 4.1? I heard it gives compatibility with some games + vanilla SDHC compatibility. I also read that 4.1 is now fully hackable too/HBC works with it.

Do I run a risk of brickage because I have HBC+DVDx already installed?

Should I delete everything (HBC+DVDx), update the firmware via Nintendo servers (my Wii is connected to our wifi network)?

Or should I use WiiSCU as mentioned in here already?

That's it for now. Thanks for putting up with yet another HomeBrewNewb... ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 09:57PM by Arikado.
August 03, 2009 05:21PM
WiiSCU DOES NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. It only installs PART of the update, to allow things like shop channel to work on lower system menus. And Nintendo cannot brick a console due to HBC/DVDx/anything or else they risk a LOT of lawsuits. The worst they MAY be able to do is delete HBC, but no update yet has done that, and afaik, in most countries they could not legally do that either.
August 03, 2009 09:03PM
I have a question/problem..
I hacked my system awhile ago.
I had to install system menu 4.1 to run wii sports resort.
Now I had never before done anything with bootmii/hackmii
but I read you can backup your nand or whatever with it and so I tried to follow the directrions
to go to hbc and hit home and it would bring you up with bootmii/hackmii but it does not.
I installed hackmii as an ios cause it would not allow me to install it as boot2
is there something wrong with my installation since upgradeing??
How can I run bootmii.hackmii??

thanks
August 03, 2009 10:17PM
You must update HBC with the HackMii Installer to be able to use BootMii IOS. But really, there is not much point in backing up NAND with the IOS version, because it can't restore dumps, and even if it could, it can't be accessed if you brick, and the other use, running unsigned code, isn't very useful yet, because there are very few MINI apps released, and HBC still works on latest update. Maybe if Nintendo beat homebrew with an update, it may be useful, but right now, its not particularly useful.
August 03, 2009 10:44PM
so basically you are telling me there really is no need to worry about it??
Bootmii/hackmii does nothing for me since I have to install it as ios..

thanks for the reply
August 03, 2009 11:42PM
pretty much.
August 04, 2009 04:09AM
So what other brick-protecting and recovery programs can we use if we have the newer models Wiis?

Preloader? Crossing fingers? :P
August 04, 2009 11:04AM
Yes, preloader will work, provided you have trucha bug in IOS 36. Which you dont. And there are ways to get it, but I dont think they're supported here I'm afraid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login