Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A question regarding WiiConnect24 and HBC.

Posted by un1qu3 
A question regarding WiiConnect24 and HBC.
August 09, 2009 01:33PM
I got around to installing HBC using the bannerbomb exploit on my 4.0u about a week ago.
My question is...
I've got a sister who loves Animal Crossing: City Folk and suddenly found out (after I disabled WiiConnect24) that she was no longer able to invite her friends to her town...so she's a bit angry, to say the least.

What I've heard through Google and browsing around is a little hard to come to a conclusion on.

1. Since my firmware is 3.4+, if I turn enable WiiConnect24 for Animal Crossing, the Wii will update without my permission and remove HBC. Is this true?

2. I also read from some places that if I enable it, Nintendo's updates will wind up bricking my Wii. I somehow doubt this, but is this true?

3. In general, to keep it simple: Is it possible to keep a softmod WHILE still being able to play Animal Crossing: City Folk with others over the internet?

The basic question is, if I enable WiiConnect24 for the sake of online messaging, will my Wii be rendered unable to use HBC through Nintendo OR run the risk of bricking?

I'm still pretty new to Wii homebrew, but I used to deal with the Xbox, so I suppose I'm not totally in the dark when it comes to softmods, but these automatic updates I keep hearing about kind of scare me. If there's any more information I should provide on my console for specifics, I can go get it. Just seeking a little clarification on the whole matter.
Re: A question regarding WiiConnect24 and HBC.
August 09, 2009 02:51PM
1. Nintendo will never update without your permission.

2. Current updates are harmless to your Wii/homebrew

3. It is perfectly possible to play online games with homebrew installed. (just don't cheat online ;])
August 09, 2009 05:42PM
un1qu3
I also read from some places that if I enable it, Nintendo's updates will wind up bricking my Wii.

Where?
August 09, 2009 06:04PM
bg4545
1. Nintendo will never update without your permission.
Nintendo will never do this because it is illegal in most countries.
August 10, 2009 04:22AM
Okeydokey, then that makes it all easier to understand. I thought it was a little fishy, hearing it'd update without your consent each time.

@daniel_c_w: Guess it was just stupid people talking crap.

Animal Crossing is, as far as I know, one of the only games that requires WiiConnect24 enabled in order to play with others. I guess it's safe to turn it back on then. Thanks. :>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login